Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been in and out of this thread since it started.  Haven't read everything.

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if in three years the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Bad because either Dawkins got injured or his play fell off.  One OT and a guard would be fine.  Two DE would be fine also

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bad because either Dawkins got injured or his play fell off.  One OT and a guard would be fine.  Two DE would be fine also

It would mean that Dawkins was expendable, because there was younger cheaper talent.   Losing Dawkins in that way is exactly how the Patriots lost talent year after year.   They didn't hold on to their talented people, they let them move on.   

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Regardless of what the fans say/like, Beane did exactly what he said he was gonna do. He and Sean had a plan an they followed through on it, in a year or two when our older vets on the D & O lines are gone or near gone these quality picks will make paying Josh a whole hell of a lot easier to do, and still have quality players lined up to insure we are not a flash in the pan two year window team. Long term success is the goal. 

Who cares about a year or two from now.  Winning the SB is the goal now. Not a long string of playoff losses.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Well said.  Cracks me up reading the complainers around here.  This is the most competent, professional front office the Bills have EVER had — and yes, I include the Polian era.

Your opinion and criticism of posters for expressing an opinion........when you don't really have your own regarding players drafted......... would carry more weight if you weren't defensive of every regime the Bills have had since Butler left.  

Instead this is just the 6th GM you've defended since then and the only one who the argument could even be made that they've done well. 

1 for 6.

That's a Gary Sanchez-esque .167 batting average.:lol:

This looks like a modern NFL draft.  The priority is to pass the ball, protect the passer and rush the passer.

You also need to build cheap depth at expensive positions.  Pass rusher and pass defenders get paid.

So the first 4 picks setup the team in the future.  I would have liked a CB earlier but the value was not there.  Beane made good moves that will pay dividends in the future.

There is no reason to believe the draft was a failure.  Rating it low because the team did it differently than you thought is not a good reason. Pick a QB high or pick an injured player who will retire, that is a bad draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Tough Draft to immediately analyze (as if any are). 

I think it was a very sound, strong Draft...

Made us bigger, more talented and deeper across the lines, took a speed WR/KR/PR and some secondary depth. 

Where the fan frustration can come in is that KC, CLE and all our Division Rivals seem to have gotten noticeably better.  

We have basically the same team, which continuity can be a huge positive, and while deeper - the Draft doesn’t address the fact that KC and Cleveland have more top end talent than us.  

We also need to hope the running game woes can be fixed in-house as the only changes are the additions of Breida and Tackle depth.  

I wouldn’t be shocked to see another big move between now and the start of the season.  

I have to agree with a lot of this. We have a solid roster top to bottom but far less elite talent than the Browns or KC and possibly Miami. Will our new Dline additions prove better than KC's Oline additions? We'll see. Team speed on D is also a question mark and until we can get off the field on 3rd and long I remain suspect on our SB chances.

35 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Its just a defensive statement. We make a move to get Diggs and its great move, we are in it to win it. We dont make the big move and it's you need to focus on the long term and follow the process. I can guarantee you the people that are saying they love this draft and it makes perfect sense, would be saying the same thing head we traded tons of picks and went the opposite route, but said we are in win now mode and needed impact players, the 3-7 round picks the next few years will never make the roster anyway, etc. etc. 

Nothing is guaranteed… When you were this close you have to try to win nowNothing is guaranteed… When you were this close you have to try to win now

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will never have a problem with adding bigger and/or better grade beef to either line.  If I've said it once, I've said it five or nine times: My wife was watching a game with me a few seasons ago (I think it was against the Colts) and she asked "Why does the other team's linemen look bigger than ours?".  I asked her "Which linemen, the offensive or defensive ones?"  She replied "Both lines."  From the mouth of babes...

Well, no more!  We've got some beef now!

• Like (+1) 1

I went with B. Was fine with them doubling up in the edge players. Thought they should have gone corner in the 3rd. At least they’ve grabbed 2 tackles with high ceilings, fine with that in rounds 3-7. As long as Rousseau and Basham make an impact this year the draft was a success.

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Who cares about a year or two from now.  Winning the SB is the goal now. Not a long string of playoff losses.

Damn, I forgot we have absolutely no other quality players on the team, you’re so right, there’s  no way the existing roaster could ever get back in the post season, should have relied on an unproven drafted rookie to put us over the top, yup, silly of me..., 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

Agree that Beane and Co. seemed calm and made picks they deemed neccessary to improve the Bills. Their track record on building a winner is proven.  For me, it was a pretty bland under the radar draft. I get the strategy and the plan. Yet, can't help but to feel unenthusiasted. I will trust Beane and the rest of the Bills scouting team.

I couldn’t quite grade it an A just because BPA and need didn’t always match up.  

But I’m happy Beane didn’t reach and took guys who might become good future starters.

Not a ‘sexy’ draft - no skill players in the early rounds.  But picking late, Beane stayed true to his board.

Edited by hondo in seattle

42 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Somewhat agree.  

If Oliver needs a NT next to him, he’s not what we thought we were getting, but he can certainly still be a weapon.   

Edmunds, I just don’t know... I’ll give him this year before I judge.  He has insane potential but is just so frustrating.  I do agree he could/should be used differently.  

Epenesa, yea, seems they messed with his body a bit too much.   Hopefully he’s in the shape he needs to be this season.  

I always figured Oliver needed a Star next to him.  And if the Bills had used Edmunds like the Cowboys use LVE, we wouldn't be wondering if he should get the 5th year option.

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Back to back DE was surprising but I liked it.  Both players can rush from the interior and are huge.  The pass rush was sorely lacking last year, is an overly expensive fa position, and the 2 best are old.  The hope imo is that the Bills will pile on points and then pin their ears back without giving up beef on the line.

2.  Back to back ots is a bit different.  First there is a huge difference between 1st and 2nd vs 3rd and 5th rounds.  Williams played very well last year but is only a couple of years removed from major injury.  These picks are protection from having to play the fa ots they added.  Lastly, if they do develop, tackles can be traded for a premium as evidenced by the orlando brown trade.

3. 3 6th rounders and 1 7th rounder.  Every pick made sense.  Mcd has earned late round db trust.  He has proven either an eye for talent or a great ablitily to develop them or both.  Either way those 2 made sense.  Og and speed wr were positions most had pegged as an area of improvement.

The only position I was hoping for that didn't get a pick was 1t.  Love the high ceiling picks throughout.  This was such a different draft experience for me and was very relaxing, first time ever for that lol.

• Like (+1) 4

When we lost in 2020, it was because we lost in the TRENCHES.  Every single loss we were utterly dominated in the trenches by more physical lines.

Beane said enough of that BS, we are getting bigger, meaner, and more physical.  

This draft made a lot of sense.  And their are still viable options in FA to round out any holes they feel we may need to address it positions they want more competition at.

I gave them an A for this draft.  You win and lose in the trenches in the NFL, it’s proven over and over again, especially in the playoffs.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When we lost in 2020, it was because we lost in the TRENCHES.  Every single loss we were utterly dominated in the trenches by more physical lines.

Beane said enough of that BS, we are getting bigger, meaner, and more physical.  

This draft made a lot of sense.  And their are still viable options in FA to round out any holes they feel we may need to address it positions they want more competition at.

I gave them an A for this draft.  You win and lose in the trenches in the NFL, it’s proven over and over again, especially in the playoffs.  

All true, but unless there’s injuries, this Starting OL is basically the same as last years Starting OL.  

The swing tackles on the sideline might be intimidating though. 

Defensive Line will definitely be another story.  We should see a very different unit out there now.  

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Where the fan frustration can come in is that KC, CLE and all our Division Rivals seem to have gotten noticeably better.

I'm a bit curious about the nuts and bolts underneath this perception.

KC kind of gutted their OL.  They made a huge splashy signing of a great guard, acquired a 1 year rental on a RT who looked good at LT blocking for a run-heavy team thru trade, signed a FA G, and drafted a C.  Assuming the C works out, they re-signed their RT and are getting Duvernay-Tardiff and Niang back.  I get it Fisher was injured, but I'm not sold on Orlando Brown as necessarily an upgrade for a very different kind of offense.  Everyone involved with KC hopes their line is improved now, but it's one of those "improved on paper, is it good on Sunday?" things.

Other than that, they lost some players and signed some players, where's the whoo whoo OMG better? 

Can someone walk me through the great improvements on KC and Cle?  Then in our division?