Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well, even the top 1Ts didn’t go till much later in the draft. Keep in mind that we have two on the roster already. Is Ed Oliver not the future? We have Star for two more years, Horrible Harry came on strong towards the end of the year. I think we keep an extra end this year and focus on pass rush. Josh will put up points, pass rush matters more.

Ed isn’t a 1T.  He needs to play next to a true 1T to fulfill his potential. 

Do we really have 2 1Ts?  We sure didn’t have any last season. Ed played some....which should never happen.  Ever. 

Butler and phillips played a bit better down the stretch but I wouldn’t consider them to be viable starting 1Ts and meh backup 1Ts.  Butler is a 3T despite his size imo.  

We have no idea how good star will be and he’s out the door after this season of he’s not up to par.  We’d save over 4M on the cap by cutting him after this season. 

I don’t see why we wouldn’t bring someone to compete.  We have 472 offensive lineman now.  They preach competition at all positions and have held to that except for CB and NT.   No competition at either spots and very few under contract for ‘22

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Shortchaz said:

We seem to have went heavy on raw talent/potential. What we don’t know is how many of these guys WANT to be great and WHY. 

Beane emphasizes the interview process and this is likely why. You can see the measurables on the tape and in the "underwear Olympics" and pro days. But does the player enjoy the sport, and is he self-motivated... those are trickier questions, but ones you have to answer.

A player lacking those qualities will quickly turn to crap right after their first decent contract.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well, you have Breida who can actually turn the corner unlike Motor and Moss... just gotta hope he gets carries and isn't in McDs dog house like Yeldon all year.... would've loved a top playmaker at WR but I can't hate the strategy to build up both lines considering both were exposed in quite a few games last season. 

Scott......are you ok?

someone call 9-1-1!!

54 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think some people not all are really looking at this the wrong way about getting better as a team what was actually missing from this team last year that caused us to go home one game away from the Super Bowl it really fell in the trenches lack of being able to run the ball when we had to lack of making plays on a QB and getting them off of their spot when we had to those were the two biggest things that stopped our seasonBeane went into this draft and addressed all of that and addressed it multiple times then you have to look at what is going to happen in the future we are about to pay a unicorn QB 40,000,000+ a year things are going to get tighter we need to be able to come up with quality line play without being big players in free agency we need to be able to do this and not have the quality of the plate drop off because we can’t afford big ticket free agents on our lines we have players that are on our lines that are getting older injuries happen all of that being recognized what our greatest weaknesses were and address them so how can you say that we did not get better well other teams got significantly better we got better at the things that we needed to get better atWhile other teams that were picking higher than us and draft selection we’re getting name players that people loved in their mocks beane was going about his business of improving the team in the short term and long term

Wow, that's hard to read, but I think it's exactly right.  The point I always miss is that money will be tight in a few years, and this is preparation for that time.  Thanks. 

I gave this draft a solid B. I liked both the DE taken they offer different skill sets and could both be very good starters soon. My only gripe is doubling down on OT's when Doyle could have been had later and several good options at 1DT were still on the board. The CB/value never lined up for us until the late rounds in which I believe they did well as usual. Let's hope they are right and Jackson beats out Wallace, some of these pick contribute right away as rotational players, back-ups and ST. Like has been stated before sure the other contenders seemed to have filled some holes, WE didn't have any really. This draft is a set up for the long run and I'm all for it!

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree here.

Clearly, they feel Star and Harry can do the job this year. I'm not sure I agree. Star's been away from football for a year and is getting older, and Harry didn't show enough last year to make me feel confident that he'll be appreciably better this year.

If there's only one thing I would have added to this draft, it would have been a legit 1T prospect.

Why don't we use the biggest DT on this team as a 1T ?

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well, you have Breida who can actually turn the corner unlike Motor and Moss... just gotta hope he gets carries and isn't in McDs dog house like Yeldon all year.... would've loved a top playmaker at WR but I can't hate the strategy to build up both lines considering both were exposed in quite a few games last season. 

Agreed.

Would love to see Breida to get bulk of carries tbh.

Singletary is in my dog house forever.

I can’t get that AFC Championship drop out of my head.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Wasn't one of those OTs from a primarily run scheme that would need more experience pass blocking?

Doyle is a weak run blocker, lunges and loses control. Brown has great feet for pass pro and is better run blocking on the move and at angles. His scheme fit is vertical passing game. UNI ran 40% of time. Doyle only played 150 snaps last year and 85 were passes.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Craig Oi said:

I gave this draft a solid B. I liked both the DE taken they offer different skill sets and could both be very good starters soon. My only gripe is doubling down on OT's when Doyle could have been had later and several good options at 1DT were still on the board. The CB/value never lined up for us until the late rounds in which I believe they did well as usual. Let's hope they are right and Jackson beats out Wallace, some of these pick contribute right away as rotational players, back-ups and ST. Like has been stated before sure the other contenders seemed to have filled some holes, WE didn't have any really. This draft is a set up for the long run and I'm all for it!

I don’t get the “long run” argument. This team is ready to win NOW. Another playmaker could have taken us over the top and allowed us to keep up with teams like the chiefs. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I did say the Browns have a more talented roster than the Bills outside of the QB position. 😉

A round of golf and some beers.

I agree completely.....so much talent in Cleveland.  But they don’t have QB17.  We win

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

Agreed.

Would love to see Breida to get bulk of carries tbh.

Singletary is in my dog house forever.

I can’t get that AFC Championship drop out of my head.

Yeah I’m over Singletary. He just isn’t that good...

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Beane emphasizes the interview process and this is likely why. You can see the measurables on the tape and in the "underwear Olympics" and pro days. But does the player enjoy the sport, and is he self-motivated... those are trickier questions, but ones you have to answer.

A player lacking those qualities will quickly turn to crap right after their first decent contract.

The biggest concern/argument is that if they possess this rare measurable talent and also want to be great, why are they not already better/higher picks. (I get some sat out the year).

we’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow, that's hard to read, but I think it's exactly right.  The point I always miss is that money will be tight in a few years, and this is preparation for that time.  Thanks. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out picking several players who play the same position early in back to back drafts. Without the luxury of players developing behind starters - if all our prospect DE's from this and the last draft pan out and all those rookie deals come to an end and the 5th year options or long-term contracts come calling....

I guess having all those guys pan out would be a good problem to have, if we have that many players they want to keep. Will make for some tough decisions, but I expect the Bills will end up with more than a few compensatory picks down the road if they continue to have success and stay on the same trajectory.

If I had someway of knowing our RB1/2 would be Moss/Breida, that would change a lot in how I view this team.  

I know Singletary has a nice story about how hard he’s working this off-season, and that’s great, but I’d feel better knowing he has to win the position back.   

• Like (+1) 1

I've been in and out of this thread since it started.  Haven't read everything.

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if in three years the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Edited by Shaw66

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I've been in and out of this thread since it started.  Haven't read everything.

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Terrified because it means Dawkins and Williams are injured

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3