Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I give it a B based on needs filled, not quality of players (that grade will come once they've played a few years).  They didn't get a NT.  I can understand CB if they think Dane Jackson is their CB2.

I think on corner we were just badly positioned all draft really. We were always at the point where we'd have been reaching down the board until that spot in the 6th when maybe I'd have gone with a different guy but finally the value lined up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I think some people not all are really looking at this the wrong way about

getting better as a team what was actually missing from this team last year that caused us to go home one game away from the Super Bowl it really fell in the trenches lack of being able to run the ball when we had to lack of making plays on a QB and getting them off of their spot

when we had to those were the two biggest things that stopped our seasonBeane went into this draft and addressed all of that and addressed it multiple times

then you have to look at what is going to happen in the future we are about to pay a unicorn QB 40,000,000+ a year things are going to get tighter we need to be able to come up with quality line play without being big players in free agency

we need to be able to do this and not have the quality of the plate drop off because we can’t afford big ticket free agents on our lines we have players that are on our lines that are getting older

injuries happen all of that being recognized what our greatest weaknesses were and address them so how can you say that we did not get better

well other teams got significantly better we got better at the things that we needed to get better atWhile other teams that were picking higher than us and draft selection we’re getting name players that people loved in their mocks beane was going about his business of improving the team in the short term and long term

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

The year they drafted Bruce Smith (1985), they also picked Andre Reed and Frank Reich.

Thanks.  Not bad.   With those three, they could have drafted you and me and the draft still would have been an A+.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A-

Yeah I don't have a "firm view" on Doyle either but I like getting an athletic OT there.

I liked Wildgoose.

Otherwise about the same feeling.

Basham is the one I don't "love"..........but as I said,   I felt all along that was the spot that they were most likely to be left without excellent relative value on the board........maybe Beane trades back and they find a better player..........but maybe his hustle and attitude elevates him above his tools.     

I haven't seen anything at all of Wildgoose. It wasn't a great year for Wisconsin prospects so I never really watched them. Doyle I have seen clips of but never sat down and actually trawled through one of his games. 

I love the draft. I wanted them to get fast WR and CB late because our WRs can teach route running and McDermott can mold an athletic CB like Wildgoose. So no need to use top 100 picks on complete players at those positions. 

Rousseau was a top 5 pick in mocks this time last year and only started to fall before his pro day. I remember thinking it would be amazing if he fell to us. After his pro day he fell even more in mocks so I started thinking about corners. There’s no doubt he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. 

There are UDFA 1T DTs available. Naquan Jones and Forrest Merril (former wrestler) come to mind. 

They added more youth to the o line and versatile high upside guys as well. They may be able to trade some of the veterans they signed in FA creating their own comp picks once again. 

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think on corner we were just badly positioned all draft really. We were always at the point where we'd have been reaching down the board until that spot in the 6th when maybe I'd have gone with a different guy but finally the value lined up.

Would like to see a free agent corner brought in it was not addressed enough in the draft but that is just the way the draft fell

25 minutes ago, McBean said:

We needed to add offensive playmakers. We didn’t. That’s what will beat KC.

The fact Dawson Knox and Singletary will start next year makes me puke.

Draft could end up being a home run if Greg and Boogie make an impact in their rookie years.

Agree.  This is a speed arms race and we did nothing.  It doesn’t help that I hate the Rousseau pick.  And two swing tackles?  WTF?  I am horribly disappointed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't know enough about college players to think "we should have gotten this guy or that guy instead."  As soon as we pick a guy, I'll google away and see what I can learn about them.

There are certain patterns Beane has shown us at this point, and definitely a certain kind of player that we go for.  He likes guys that may have been overlooked for one reason or another, that have huge/freakish skillsets, and tons of upside.  No matter what the pick, you can always find at least one pundit online who had him going 2-3 rounds earlier, and a few who call him a "steal, if he can overcome/do (x)."

That works for me. He's a home run hitter, always swinging for the fences.  If you hit on even a few, you win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

C+ for me...

Not feeling the Rousseau pick, and the fact that we didn’t add a 1T DT...also thought we should’ve taken a chance on G Tre Smith in the 6th round...other than that, decent draft...

Star will be our main 1T, when he needs a breather, Oliver will be our 1T and behind him we’re probably looking at Harry vs Butler vs Zimmer. Rousseau and Boogie will see lots of snaps at 3T. We may keep an extra end.

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

Well said.  Cracks me up reading the complainers around here.  This is the most competent, professional front office the Bills have EVER had — and yes, I include the Polian era.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

How old are you? I'm not criticizing you or this draft and you can't know how the players will turn out but I've been around a long time and seen more exciting drafts

I hope this is just talk and we are not really going to keep Addison. What the heck is the plan, to rotate 6 DEs? And spend 3 high draft picks on DEs in two years just to have them play 20-25% of snaps? 

Cut the fat and move on. Let these young guns get some meaningful playing time. Hughes and even the guy we signed from CAR are enough of a vet presence.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ColeB said:

The year they drafted Bruce Smith (1985), they also picked Andre Reed and Frank Reich.

'87 Bennett, Conlan. Odomes, Mueller,  Ballard. I know Bennett was trade but same draft

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Now that the dust has settled it’s also clear they’re definitely counting on the return of Star to clog up the middle and keep O Linemen off of Edmunds. 

Star does not get moved off his spot much, but I am not sure he actually forces the double-teams. We will be better than we were without him, but I don't think of him as an impact player at the position at this stage in his career. I also have my doubts with Edmunds becoming the kind of LB who will attack and fill the right gap even with the added benefit of coming in clean... jury is out.

And yes, if there is a blind spot that I think both Beane and McD have it is they tend to overvalue (and overpay a bit) for former Panthers. I get the comfort that they have on what those players can bring, but...

The good news is they have just about tapped that pool out.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I gave it a B. 

Picks I loved: Rousseau, Brown, Anderson

Picks I liked: Stevenson, Hamlin

Picks I have no firm view: Doyle, Wildgoose

Pick I am meh on: Basham

Pretty much agree with all your individual rankings...

Basham was a guy that I wanted us to avoid ... just think he is nothing special ... 

I guess at 61 rather than 30 I can live with it and hope I am wrong( wouldn’t be the first time..)

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I still wish they addressed the corner position more.

Would have taken one in rounds 1 or 2.

I’ve said all along...taking a corner early isn’t a priority to Beane. McD took Tre in the first and he has his bonafide number one. Mcd’s history shows that he plugs a late rounder in at CB2 and he’s able to coach them up.

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

For whatever reason this year’s class seems like the most forgettable Bills draft I can remember. I sure hope I’m wrong. 

Agree - reminds of the 2016 draft. Lawson, Ragland, Washington and more...