Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

Tough Draft to immediately analyze (as if any are). 

I think it was a very sound, strong Draft...

Made us bigger, more talented and deeper across the lines, took a speed WR/KR/PR and some secondary depth. 

Where the fan frustration can come in is that KC, CLE and all our Division Rivals seem to have gotten noticeably better.  

We have basically the same team, which continuity can be a huge positive, and while deeper - the Draft doesn’t address the fact that KC and Cleveland have more top end talent than us.  

We also need to hope the running game woes can be fixed in-house as the only changes are the additions of Breida and Tackle depth.  

I wouldn’t be shocked to see another big move between now and the start of the season.  

• Like (+1) 2

Not an exciting draft, but we had no big needs. Hopefully all solid picks that will be able to make the team and contribute soon. I do like the two DE we got, and I think both will add depth this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

For whatever reason this year’s class seems like the most forgettable Bills draft I can remember. I sure hope I’m wrong. 

Lol I kinda agree. I wasn’t even very interested other than to see who we got. I think picking 30 sucks a lot of life out of it. Also sucks a lot of excitement out of the draft when you basically have your top 10 players and are not trying to get a game changing franchise player. We’ve picked top 12 or so for so many years we get better prospects 

Just now, SCBills said:

Tough Draft to immediately analyze (as if any are). 

I think it was a very sound, strong Draft...

Made us bigger, more talented and deeper across the lines, took a speed WR/KR/PR and some secondary depth. 

Where the fan frustration can come in is that KC, CLE and all our Division Rivals seem to have gotten noticeably better.  

We have basically the same team, which continuity can be a huge positive, and while deeper - the Draft doesn’t address the fact that KC and Cleveland have more top end talent than us.  

We also need to hope the running game woes can be fixed in-house as the only changes are the additions of Breida and Tackle depth.  

I wouldn’t be shocked to see another big move between now and the start of the season.  

I don’t see how anyone can say we’re the same team now that we’ve added two seriously talented lively young thoroughbreds to our d line.  That was the missing link last year.  For one thing I expect about 5-10 more forced fumbles this season which by itself can add a win or three to your record.

• Like (+1) 5

Solid "B".

Felt the second DE pick was a luxury pick where we needed to shore up the interior trenches - particularly NT. Was too early for any of the NTs available, but thought Beane would address DB there and free up a pick at the end of the 3rd for NT before the run on them throughout the 4th.

Wanted us to pickup one of the quality C/G prospects that were available this draft. One of the best and deepest classes I have seen and we whiffed there so we have no plan "B" for Morse other than Mongo who I don't think is the long-term solution.

So not unhappy with the quality of the prospects - just did not address the glaring holes I feel this team has up the middle.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

You will be. The pass rushers look good.

I sure hope so. What I didn’t understand was selecting two DEs and then two OTs. For whatever reason it looks like they picked the same guys twice as if they said ‘we need a do over’ after each one. Again....a really odd draft. 

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t see how anyone can say we’re the same team now that we’ve added two seriously talented lively young thoroughbreds to our d line.  That was the missing link last year.  For one thing I expect about 5-10 more forced fumbles this season which by itself can add a win or three to your record.

I really have grown to like the two DE picks, along with adding Obada.   Truly, I think we could see a dominant defense again next year...

That being said, Front 7 is the one area I need to see it to believe it from this Front Office.  

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I still wish they addressed the corner position more.

Would have taken one in rounds 1 or 2.

I think it is, "in Dane Jackson we trust."

The early picks show this, not as much of a need as the national prognosticators think.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CSBill said:

I think it is, "in Dane Jackson we trust."

The early picks show this, not as much of a need as the national prognosticators think.

I ultimately think that's what it is as well.

I think Beane is going into the season hoping Dane takes over CB2, but if he doesn't, then has Levi as insurance.

I don't agree with that strategy... lol. But I do think that's what Beane is thinking

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Process said:

But between FA and the draft, the Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all made moves that will make them significantly better in 2021. The Bills did not. 

I realized yesterday, as I do every draft, that I was getting sucked into this way of thinking.   Every team evaluates the talent, and they all draft their share of it.   They all pick from more or less the same lists of players rated more or less the same.  I'm certain that no good team got significantly better than the Bills.   The bad teams get better because they can go into the fourth or maybe fifth round and draft starters.   Teams with as much talent as the Bills have can't draft starters like that.  

Give this draft three years.   I think you'll give it a better grade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Now that the dust has settled it’s also clear they’re definitely counting on the return of Star to clog up the middle and keep O Linemen off of Edmunds. 

I have to agree.  I just hope they aren't doing the same thing with Ford.  They were manhandled on the interior in the AFCCG, they couldn't run block all year... and they didn't do anything to fix it in the draft. 

We needed to add offensive playmakers. We didn’t. That’s what will beat KC.

The fact Dawson Knox and Singletary will start next year makes me puke.

Draft could end up being a home run if Greg and Boogie make an impact in their rookie years.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

19 minutes ago, Process said:

C+ 

Don't love double dipping at DE and OT and not addressing another needs like WR CB and DT until the later rounds. 

At the end of the day we added to the lines, which is never a bad thing, so I don't hate it. 

But between FA and the draft, the Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all made moves that will make them significantly better in 2021. The Bills did not. 

This year was about trenches, next year we will really need to add some playmakers on offense and in the secondary.

They added Sanders and Breida to an already great offense.  They have their starting OL set already and they can get working on cohesion.  There wasn't a TE worth taking after Pitts and maybe Friermuth.  And the best RBs were gone before even their first pick (not that I'd have wanted them to use a first one one of them).

And sure those teams (minus the Chefs) may have improved themselves but not enough to surpass the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, InEnemyTerritory said:

I have to agree.  I just hope they aren't doing the same thing with Ford.  They were manhandled on the interior in the AFCCG, they couldn't run block all year... and they didn't do anything to fix it in the draft. 

That’s why the two Tackles surprised me. They just locked in their starting Tackles and these two super tall kids are NOT moving to Guard. I’m not the least bit sold on the interior of our line. So the most interesting kid to me is the late round Guard from Texas Tech. He played a ton of games in college but yet was still in the green room on the final day.