Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

C+, majority developmental guys, rotational players, and depth. Picking at the end of each round doesn’t help, but of course the grade can change if we eventually get multiple starters.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

C+ 

Don't love double dipping at DE and OT and not addressing another needs like WR CB and DT until the later rounds. 

At the end of the day we added to the lines, which is never a bad thing, so I don't hate it. 

But between FA and the draft, the Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all made moves that will make them significantly better in 2021. The Bills did not. 

This year was about trenches, next year we will really need to add some playmakers on offense and in the secondary.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Overall my impression of this offseason in general, not just the draft:

Beane to DL and DL coach:  "You guys had better light your fires and get after the QB, or you're outta here and we'll play someone who will

Beane to OL and OL coach: "Pass protect ain't enough, we better have holes, BIG holes for our backs or you're outta here and we'll find someone who will

Beane to WR not named Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, and Davis: "Grind n get'r done, or you're gone!

Beane to KR/PR candidates: "Steel sharpens steel.  Prepare to be sharpened!  Compete!"

Beane to RB room: "Yeah, We're Good!"

• Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Overall B+ 

Really like the pass rushers. Don’t like that they did not come away with a 1-tech DT and added two swing tackles.   l would have preferred a true center to replace an overpaid and average Morse in 2022. Knox had better develop because they did nothing to address TE.

Rousseau - A. I might have gone Tryon but I have no issue with this selection.  If Etienne was still on the board I take the dynamic RB, but I’ve been asking for a boost to the pass rush for a few years.

Basham - A. I have no problem doubling down on DE. This kid is non-stop and will be a terror next to Oliver rushing from the inside in the nickel D

Brown - B. Little help for 2021 but I understand the move. Dawkins and Williams will look very expensive when they have to sign Allen and Edmunds and neither of our tackles are elite. Taking a chance on this kid’s athleticism makes sense.

Doyle - D. This pick makes no sense.  They barely have a need for swing tackle now, let alone two. The greater need was a 1-tech DT. A move up for a big guy makes more sense here.

Stevenson - A. I advocated for a return guy predraft but that was before the brought back McKenzie. Either way this guy has speed and should be the 6th WR. It will be a battle between McKenzie and Hodgins for the 5th WR spot.

Hamlin - B. Again fills a need that I wanted predraft for backup safety and special teams. Nice length. Solid pick.

Wildgoose - C - pencil him in for the PS now. There is no room in the defensive backfield. Tweener not fast enough for outside, but could develop as an option behind Taron Johnson.

Anderson - B. Gave him a B because he looks like Incognito and might be a developmental center.  No chance he makes the roster but a PS center project in round 7 is fine.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Huh?  They needed a swing OT.  Nsekhe is gone.  I do think they could have traded down and gotten Doyle but that's speculation.

I agree on NT but Tonga can be signed as an UDFA.  And after Pitts there were no TEs worth taking.

I like this draft because I see the intelligence of everything McBeane do.   They're confident and competent.  They're fearless.  They know what they want.   They know they aren't going to solve every problem in three days.   They know there are more players to acquire.  And they know how to coach and fit guys into their scheme.  

They clearly want big and tougher linemen on offense, big and quick guys on defense.   I'm down with that.  

Competition?  There's going to be some incredible competition on the lines this summer.  

Nice draft. 

• Like (+1) 25
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane to DL and DL coach:  "You guys had better light your fires and get after the QB, or you're outta here and we'll play someone who will

Beane to OL and OL coach: "Pass protect ain't enough, we better have holes, BIG holes for our backs or you're outta here and we'll find someone who will

Beane to WR not named Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, and Davis: "Grind n get'r done, or you're gone!

Beane to KR/PR candidates: "Steel sharpens steel.  Prepare to be sharpened!  Compete!"

I think probably the best assessment I’ve read on here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

• Like (+1) 35
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The Bills were in new territory this year. Over the last twenty years we've sucked the majority of those years and had the benefit of drafting early. Now we have a good enough roster that we went, what, 13-3 last year ... not a lot of room for starters this year, but in a year or two, we may have a few from this draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane to McD:”The roster is good enough to win the SB. Get out coached in the playoffs again and you are gone”

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 5

7 minutes ago, Process said:

C+ 

Don't love double dipping at DE and OT and not addressing another needs like WR CB and DT until the later rounds. 

At the end of the day we added to the lines, which is never a bad thing, so I don't hate it. 

But between FA and the draft, the Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all made moves that will make them significantly better in 2021. The Bills did not. 

This year was about trenches, next year we will really need to add some playmakers on offense and in the secondary.

I should add, singing Sherman and/or trading for Ertz would make me feel better about what they did in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2