RD 7, Pick 8 (236): Jack Anderson, G (Texas Tech)

Draft Pick Approval  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

Well, we didn't get Mahomes on the team, so I guess this is the next best thing as a Texas Tech alum 🤣

But for real, I just want my college & pro rooting interests to align... is that too much to ask?!

Edit: Wait, he also went to my HS? Now I NEED him to stick around dammit!

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Pretty sure Ford is gonzo, i said he was a bust the night he was drafted and think the Bills would agree with all the OL signings & picks

Jack Anderson 2021 NFL Draft Profile

One of the most physical players in this year’s offensive line class, Jack Anderson is an interesting NFL Draft target. A four-star recruit out of Frisco High School in Texas, Anderson was the 77th-ranked target in his class. He received offers from college monoliths including Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas, but stuck closer to home. Starting as a true freshman and departing after his redshirt-junior year, Anderson made 38 appearances across four years with the Red Raiders. He was their starting right guard in each of his starts. After his redshirt junior season, he was named to the All-Big 12 first team. Interestingly, he also made the Academic All-Big 12 first team in three consecutive seasons. 

In Anderson, teams can trust they’re getting a consistent player. Given his reliability on the line, teams could have plentiful interest in the young guard. Further, he displays solid size and movement skills at the guard position. He performed well at his pro day, earning a really nice 8.58 relative athletic score. While his blocking technique could use some adjustments, he provided really sturdy play with the Red Raiders. In 2020, he graded as Pro Football Focus’s 21st-ranked guard in college, earning a 78.8 grade. However, his pass-blocking grade of 86.2 was the 13th-best rating in the college game. In a league that’s constantly chasing ways to protect the quarterback, that skill is a premium one for Anderson.

For the dude who wrote the profile Frisco is closer to Norman and Austin than it is Lubbock.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I don't think Ford is gone. Probably someone like Boettger or Bates. 

This - McBeane has a ton of patience with their hand-picked prospects and to be fair to Ford they moved him all over the line and finally settled on putting him at LG where he did not get enough reps to really settle into the role. They liked what Ike did for them last year too and he has been a longer-term project.

If anything the thought goes that Morse gets hurt, Mongo has to shift inside to C, and then we are thin at G. Kid is likely PS bound this season where they will work to develop him.

• Agree 1

Hmm, color me unimpressed.

Sure, it's a solid enough name that evokes a hard working insurance salesman ("hey, honey, Jack Anderson is coming over to tomorrow with those forms we need to sign") but it's a little lacking for a modern day NFL player. After the movie poster-worthy bombshell of WILDGOOSE earlier in the day I'm afraid Jack Anderson is a disappointing return to humdrum reality. 

The only chance this guy makes the roster is if he somehow earns a cool nickname, but I haven't thoroughly researched the young man's hobbies enough to see if there's anything that pops out at me.

Final grade: F

EDIT: I just ran this young man's name through an anagram maker and was given some alternatives that are worthy of at least being in the same room as Mr. WildGoose.

Andrej Csonka

cranked Sonja

donnas jacker

Jon ransacked

Janka scorned

AD canons jerk

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Vomit 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And you say that with your expert opinion without him playing a down in the NFL?

Probability says so.....don't need an expert opinion to understand odds along with historical results.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Pretty sure Ford is gonzo, i said he was a bust the night he was drafted and think the Bills would agree with all the OL signings & picks

Jack Anderson 2021 NFL Draft Profile

One of the most physical players in this year’s offensive line class, Jack Anderson is an interesting NFL Draft target. A four-star recruit out of Frisco High School in Texas, Anderson was the 77th-ranked target in his class. He received offers from college monoliths including Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas, but stuck closer to home. Starting as a true freshman and departing after his redshirt-junior year, Anderson made 38 appearances across four years with the Red Raiders. He was their starting right guard in each of his starts. After his redshirt junior season, he was named to the All-Big 12 first team. Interestingly, he also made the Academic All-Big 12 first team in three consecutive seasons. 

In Anderson, teams can trust they’re getting a consistent player. Given his reliability on the line, teams could have plentiful interest in the young guard. Further, he displays solid size and movement skills at the guard position. He performed well at his pro day, earning a really nice 8.58 relative athletic score. While his blocking technique could use some adjustments, he provided really sturdy play with the Red Raiders. In 2020, he graded as Pro Football Focus’s 21st-ranked guard in college, earning a 78.8 grade. However, his pass-blocking grade of 86.2 was the 13th-best rating in the college game. In a league that’s constantly chasing ways to protect the quarterback, that skill is a premium one for Anderson.

Highly doubt that happens this year considering everything ford has gone through.  He may be the most jerked around player ever on the Bills roster.  As a rookie he started practicing at tackle, until Mongo got hurt, then moved him to guard.   Once Mongo came back, moved him back to tackle.  Year two no mention (at least publicly) as to where Ford would play prior to training camp which BTW was abbreviated.  Then in the middle of abbreviated camp and with no pre-season, moved him to guard, first was it the left side, then switched to right side once Spain was benched, then got hurt twice was it and missed half the year.

Ford could become a bust and is gone after the 2021 season, but barring a huge setback, can't see it happening this coming year.  Anderson is a 7th round pick so can easily stash him on PS this year with low risk of losing him. 

Can't see them giving up on 2nd round pick after only two jerked around seasons.

9 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I don't think Ford is gone. Probably someone like Boettger or Bates. 

Can't see them getting rid of Bates, his positional flexibility is too valuable as a backup, he's a rare case of being able to play all 5 spots on O line. 

I think Anderson has a tough path to a roster, a practice squad candidate more likely 

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Really, didnt expect that, what do you like about him?

I think he is really good value at that spot and is pretty advanced in his pass block sets. Has some development to do as a run blocker but that can come.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Hmm, color me unimpressed.

Sure, it's a solid enough name that evokes a hard working insurance salesman ("hey, honey, Jack Anderson is coming over to tomorrow with those forms we need to sign") but it's a little lacking for a modern day NFL player. After the movie poster-worthy bombshell of WILDGOOSE earlier in the day I'm afraid Jack Anderson is a disappointing return to humdrum reality. 

The only chance this guy makes the roster is if he somehow earns a cool nickname, but I haven't thoroughly researched the young man's hobbies enough to see if there's anything that pops out at me.

Final grade: F

EDIT: I just ran this young man's name through an anagram maker and was given some alternatives that are worthy of at least being in the same room as Mr. WildGoose.

Andrej Csonka

cranked Sonja

donnas jacker

Jon ransacked

Janka scorned

AD canons jerk

Jack Anderson, all American boy, kinda captain America ish...

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Highly doubt that happens this year considering everything ford has gone through.  He may be the most jerked around player ever on the Bills roster.  As a rookie he started practicing at tackle, until Mongo got hurt, then moved him to guard.   Once Mongo came back, moved him back to tackle.  Year two no mention (at least publicly) as to where Ford would play prior to training camp which BTW was abbreviated.  Then in the middle of abbreviated camp and with no pre-season, moved him to guard, first was it the left side, then switched to right side once Spain was benched, then got hurt twice was it and missed half the year.

Ford could become a bust and is gone after the 2021 season, but barring a huge setback, can't see it happening this coming year.  Anderson is a 7th round pick so can easily stash him on PS this year with low risk of losing him. 

Can't see them giving up on 2nd round pick after only two jerked around seasons.

I think he needs to stay on the field this season or he will be gone next year,  he has to see all the offseason activity on the OL and know he needs to produce.