RD 6, Pick 28 (212): Damar Hamlin, S (Pitt)

Draft Pick Approval  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

2 guys who are from just northwest of Pittsburgh.  Hamlin and Jackson. Hamlin from Mckeesrock, Jackson from right down the hill from me, Coraopolis. 

Awesome! Watched both these guys play high school ball, then at Pitt too.  

Hard working, no nonsense guys.  Narduzzi speaks very highly of both of them, and has good positional coaches working with them. Hamlin and Ford formed a very good safety duo.  I think Hamlin is a future starter

On 5/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, Turbo44 said:

Hamlin was at the top of ESPN's available players for over an hour.....like that

Just went back and watched ESPN's coverage today (I DVR it and watch the NFL Network live)...Surprised to see how high they were on Hamlin, and Wildgoose for that matter.

Hamlin may be the most rare of all players for ESPN because Mel and McShay both loved him...I came away really liking the value on these 2 DB's for 6th Round picks. I think they both have a very decent chance at roster spots in 2021 as ST's players...More so, in a year or two they may be able to positively contribute to this Defense on the back end. At this point of the Draft that's all you can ask for. B-)

On 5/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

He's Jaquan Johnson-like and Wildgoose reminded me of Dane Jackson.    They seem to have a type in their late round safeties and CB's.

These 3 picks are why I liked trading back.     I often had Wildgoose as my round 6 guy.    I like Stevenson in round 6 and Hamlin is decent value as well and fills a need.        

What are you, Goodol’Bills now?

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Awesome! Watched both these guys play high school ball, then at Pitt too.  

Hard working, no nonsense guys.  Narduzzi speaks very highly of both of them, and has good positional coaches working with them. Hamlin and Ford formed a very good safety duo.  I think Hamlin is a future starter

pretty amazing how many guys Pitt puts into the NFL for having such a middling program. This is me just guessing, but I feel like they have more elite guys in the NFL than a lot of the perennial top-5 programs, let alone the number of guys that seem to make NFL rosters. And with Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald (outside chance with Revis), they will have a pretty good number of  recent Hall of Farmers too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:27 PM, John from Riverside said:

Didn’t we just lose player that got a lot of reps add safety behind our starters to free agency solid pick

Yes. Dean Marlowe to the Lions. Solid is right. If nothing else, he should be a staple on special teams.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Poyer was a 6th rounder, Hyde a 5th rounder. We didn’t need an immediate starter but he sure looks like he could develop into one with this staff and play the Marlowe role in the meantime 

I'm curious if we have our future safeties now waiting in the wings - Johnson & Hamlin

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

pretty amazing how many guys Pitt puts into the NFL for having such a middling program. This is me just guessing, but I feel like they have more elite guys in the NFL than a lot of the perennial top-5 programs, let alone the number of guys that seem to make NFL rosters. And with Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald (outside chance with Revis), they will have a pretty good number of  recent Hall of Farmers too. 

They love their football in Western Pennsylvania.  10k people attending high school football games.  Football is king over there.  Everything else is a distant second.

I'm still waiting for Jaquan Johnson to get his shot. Liked him a lot coming out. Maybe he and Hamlin can develop a chemistry and learn from Poyer and Hyde. I feel like the safety positions in this scheme are cerebral and McD has to really trust who he puts back there.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pennsylvania is a high school football hotbed

And they put out some elite talent  every couple years 

Fitzgerald, Donald, revis , shady ... 

Then you get tyler boyd , then just a whole bunch of backups and fringe starters 

But it's always been a solid program

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Pennsylvania is a high school football hotbed

And they put out some elite talent  every couple years 

Fitzgerald, Donald, revis , shady ... 

Then you get tyler boyd , then just a whole bunch of backups and fringe starters 

But it's always been a solid program

yeah, but what’s weird is that Despite having a lot of NFL talent on their rosters, they never seem to be in contention. Mostly like a .500 team. I can’t remember when they had a top-15 team. Sort of similar to Syracuse football, though with better pro prospects than what Syracuse gets (probably due to the better western PA recruits, you mentioned).

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, but what’s weird is that Despite having a lot of NFL talent on their rosters, they never seem to be in contention. Mostly like a .500 team. I can’t remember when they had a top-15 team. Sort of similar to Syracuse football, though with better pro prospects than what Syracuse gets (probably due to the better western PA recruits, you mentioned).

Pitt has obviously fell a long way from the 70s and early 80s 

But it's still a major division one football program. That knows how to get players in the league

It's tough to take that step from a 7 and 7 program to an 11 and 3 program

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, ßookie_tech said:

I'm still waiting for Jaquan Johnson to get his shot. Liked him a lot coming out. Maybe he and Hamlin can develop a chemistry and learn from Poyer and Hyde. I feel like the safety positions in this scheme are cerebral and McD has to really trust who he puts back there.

I hope Johnson makes it for a different reason.   He said when the Bills drafted him that when he started playing Pee Wee ball, his father told him that all he had to do is run as fast as he could and run into the kid with ball.   Next year, his father told him to do the same thing.  That's all his father ever taught, hit the guy with the ball as hard as you can.  When he got to high school, he was a heat-seeking missile who nothing about how to play football, just how to blow up ball carriers!   That's when he started first to take seriously what his coaches were telling him about the nuances of the game.  

Such a cool story.  I hope he's learning the game the way McDermott wants him to play it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1