RD 6, pick 19 (203): Marquez Stevenson, WR (Houston)

Draft Pick Approval  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

5 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Me neither, but I Googled and this is what someone with the Reddit username WhirledWorld said 4 years ago:

There's a lot of reasons:

- No trump card. Only 6'0", so not a great fit at split end. Above-average but not flashy combine numbers (e.g. 4.46 40).

Injuries really limited his tape going into the draft. Missed three games in 2014 with a lacerated kidney. Missed six games in 2013 with a broken leg. Also missed three games due to contact with an official. That's a lot of missing tape for scouts, not to mention that even if these aren't recurring injuries, scouts will still worry if you're injury prone.

- Could have gone anywhere as the #2 WR prospect out of high school, but wanted to be the home town hero, which is fine except he was off the radar and wasn't proving himself against good competition. Not to mention the Terps were bad, so there was zero national buzz.

- Speaking of the Terps being bad, Diggs was in a terrible quarterback situation. If you think Shaun Hill is bad, the Terps' QB carousel was so bad that they had to start a linebacker at QB.

- The wide receiver he is now is a lot different than the rookie he was. Rookie Stefon Diggs was very poor at the release and really didn't know what to do against press, how to use his hands, how to counter certain leverage and certain looks, what footwork to start out with. He's also added some weight and physicality, and while he was a natural at attacking the ball in college, the added strength adds a Brandon-Marshall-lite ability at the catch point. He was unproven as a route runner, and while he picked it up naturally with his great stop-and-go speed and quick cuts, there wasn't much tape of him winning as a route runner against quality cornerbacks.

Wow that's an interesting take away from him wanting to stay near his family since his father was gone.

Marquez Stevenson was a sneaky good pick. My favorite value pick of the draft. He replaced Roberts with a 6th round pick. His college career as a KR:

34 returns - 889 yards - 3 return TD - 26.1 average.

That is my KR day 1.

On top of that he posted a 75 catch -1019 yard -13.6 avg -9 TD as a sophomore, and 52 catch - 907 yards - 9 TD - 17.4 avg as a junior.

He can clearly return kicks, and catch passes. I see Stevenson replacing Roberts this year, and maybe McKenzie next year. 2 for 1.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Marquez Stevenson was a sneaky good pick. My favorite value pick of the draft. He replaced Roberts with a 6th round pick. His college career as a KR:

34 returns - 889 yards - 3 return TD - 26.1 average.

That is my KR day 1.

On top of that he posted a 75 catch -1019 yard -13.6 avg -9 TD as a sophomore, and 52 catch - 907 yards - 9 TD - 17.4 avg as a junior.

He can clearly return kicks, and catch passes. I see Stevenson replacing Roberts this year, and maybe McKenzie next year. 2 for 1.

I could see him replacing Roberts and McKenzie this year and free up a roster spot for an extra Dlineman or LB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I could see him replacing Roberts and McKenzie this year and free up a roster spot for an extra Dlineman or LB.

Are McKenzie and Stevenson better players at their position than the extra D-lineman or LB you want them to keep?  If so, keep McKenzie and Stevenson.  

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, purple haze said:

Are McKenzie and Stevenson better players at their position than the extra D-lineman or LB you want them to keep?  If so, keep McKenzie and Stevenson.  

It called building a roster, we aren't playing just for 2022. Letting Stevenson and DE x get more reps helps this year and beyond. I love McKenzie yet not sure he's going to be anything more than we've seen so far.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Oh is that the case? Don't know much about his background personally. Just love the attitude he's brought to Buffalo.

Yes, urban Meyer tried like hell to get Diggs to Ohio state. His dad had died recently and he felt he needed to stay close to his family. Meyer was jerk about it too, telling him he clearly didn’t want to be great, would never be on TV yadda yadda

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, urban Meyer tried like hell to get Diggs to Ohio state. His dad had died recently and he felt he needed to stay close to his family. Meyer was jerk about it too, telling him he clearly didn’t want to be great, would never be on TV yadda yadda

Not surprised.  Turd

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's crazy. I had never heard that before. I think that Urban's ego will end up killing his shot in the NFL. A lot of the tactics he used with college kids will not fly with these grown men making more money than him. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hope our game against the Jags is during prime time this year and Diggs lights them up. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Hope our game against the Jags is during prime time this year and Diggs lights them up. 

Basham also lit up Trevor a few times when those two teams played... harassed him a bunch 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow!

Wasn't Notre Dame also trying to recruit Diggs as well?

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Wow!

Yes, amongst many others- Bama, UGA, etc. He was a 5 star recruit and its funny looking at his Rivals profile, that’s exactly what he is still:

”Diggs won't wow you physically and he tests well but not off the charts, but when it comes to playing actual football he's one of the most dynamic prospects in the country.”

https://n.rivals.com/news/the-first-five-stars-stefon-diggs

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

It called building a roster, we aren't playing just for 2022. Letting Stevenson and DE x get more reps helps this year and beyond. I love McKenzie yet not sure he's going to be anything more than we've seen so far.

I’d rather double down on stocking weapons for Josh Allen than keep a fringe DE if we’re talking back of roster depth.  We have 4 young DE’s and two vets.  I’d rather McKenzie than Darryl Johnson seeing as Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham are supposed to be the impact players for the future.  But we shall see what McD and Beane choose to do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I’d rather double down on stocking weapons for Josh Allen than keep a fringe DE if we’re talking back of roster depth.  We have 4 young DE’s and two vets.  I’d rather McKenzie than Darryl Johnson seeing as Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham are supposed to be the impact players for the future.  But we shall see what McD and Beane choose to do. 

Johnson could probably be put on the PS.  He has just 1 sack in each of his first 2 seasons.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Oh is that the case? Don't know much about his background personally. Just love the attitude he's brought to Buffalo.

Yes, his father passed away from congestive heart failure age 39, when Stefon was 14.  He said he wanted to be closer to his two younger brothers.  When you hear various stuff that's come up in his personal life it's pretty clear that he considers becoming a father-figure to his younger siblings to have had a big influence on him.

He's a complex person.  A deeper personality than some of the typical "Diva" WR dudes.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't know but his bio on Wiki says he had scholarship offers from Florida, USC, Cal, Ohio State, and Auburn among others.

• Thank you (+1) 1