RD 6, pick 19 (203): Marquez Stevenson, WR (Houston)

Draft Pick Approval  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with others than note Shi Smith taken one pick later.

Mostly on the basis of Senior Bowl practice reports and game results. 

Shi Smith was rated a tick higher by most outlets.

Stevenson did report that he consistently runs 4.38 in training. 

Also, the 6.46 3-cone is 100th percentile.

Without official combine times you may as well ignore 40 times year. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with others than note Shi Smith taken one pick later.

Mostly on the basis of Senior Bowl practice reports and game results. 

Shi Smith was rated a tick higher by most outlets.

Stevenson did report that he consistently runs 4.38 in training. 

Also, the 6.46 3-cone is 100th percentile.

I'd have taken Shi because I think he is more polished as a receiver but not upset by Marquez. I think the Bills were looking for a returner who could play some receiver rather than a receiver who could compete as a returner and that is probably what tilted the choice towards a guy like Stevenson.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Motorin' said:

There's another old school wr he reminds me of who had game breaking speed, but only ran a 4.49 at his combine.... Marquez's highlights remind me of James Jett. 

Joe Marino said he was at that smaller combine they held in in Florida And he personally  clocked him at 4.4 twice. Regardless, he’s very fast on the field and that is evident 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe Marino said he was at that smaller combine they held in in Florida And he personally  clocked him at 4.0 twice. Regardless, he’s very fast on the field and that is evident 

4.00?  Was it hand-timed or electronic timed?

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe Marino said he was at that smaller combine they held in in Florida And he personally  clocked him at 4.0 twice. Regardless, he’s very fast on the field and that is evident 

I think Joe may need a new watch. But to your point, he is very fast. Just blowing by DBs like they’re standing still.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are using AWS technology to measure top speed. The highest ever measured is in the 22 mph range. It is also possible to deduce mph from game film look at individual frames per second. If I have time later in the week I may take a look and see where his top gear hits. 

From the highlights I'm impressed that he has not just straight line speed (which is impressive) but also some vision and moves. The vision in particular is a good indicator. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/1/2021 at 4:46 PM, CNY315 said:

They said he needs to work on his route running. Nice to have Diggs, Beasley and Sander to learn from 

If he doesn’t figure it out with those guys, he probably won’t ever figure it out. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

He looks faster than 4.4.

Analysis says he’s straightline  fast but more importantly he’s fast in pads/on the field in terms of change of direction - his 3 cone shows that too, it is elite (100 percentile)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, Cash said:

Love this pick!!! Good chance he becomes the full time KR/PR and could fill the McKenzie role on offense as well. 

I hope so, but I think we’ll try and sneak him on the PS this year and will be mckenzie insurance. 

On 5/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what the practice squad/IR rules will be this year, but I predict this guy will develop a turf toe or a sprained pinky and go on IR just before the season.

From the sound of it, he needs to strengthen his upper body, learn to run routes, and master our offense.

All of which my boy Zee_thoven has done

Brandon Powell is not conceding the KR/PR battle to Isaiah just yet.

Also, he has very little experience returning punts. He’s a KR. Very few actually do both like Andre Roberts. Whereas McKenzie is a PR and not a KR. I think they will give Stevenson  the opportunity to earn the KR role and therefore a Roster spot where he can also be used as a WR 5/6 in the passing game as a speed threat 

• Like (+1) 1