Beane compensatory picks...he's clever

As we know beane loves to stock up on Oline and dline for camp and when inevitably someone goes down he manages to swing some trades.  These 4 picks are all about huge upside is a draft that was NOT very deep.  So...is this the equivalent of beane signing some mid market depth guys.  I think so.  You get this guys in camp and pre season and if it looks like one could start it play significant snaps you then open the possibility to trade someone for picks...including an Addison or someone like that.  

I think beane saw our roster as strong and these picks were high risk high reward as a result....but don't be surprised if he manages a few 2022 draft picks out of this.  

• Agree 2

Can't see Addison getting traded with his contract. I think the more likely option would be to trade someone like a Phillips, Zimmer, Johnson, Bates, etc  than someone drafted this year.  You look at when the team traded Teller, he had one year of playing time and film to go off of.  Can't imagine a team trading for a guy we just selected and saw him play all of half of 2 pre-season games.

Considering the depth at DE, would they consider trading Epinesa??

• Disagree 2

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Can't see Addison getting traded with his contract. I think the more likely option would be to trade someone like a Phillips, Zimmer, Johnson, Bates, etc  than someone drafted this year.  You look at when the team traded Teller, he had one year of playing time and film to go off of.  Can't imagine a team trading for a guy we just selected and saw him play all of half of 2 pre-season games.

Beane loves him some Addison.  Had a presser late draft yesterday and went out of his way to commend Addison on taking Epenesa under his wing (along with Hughes).  Also mentioned Addison texted him talking about helping out the new guys.

Beane mentioned the restructured contract and “he’ll be a FA next year”.  Agree, don’t think he’s going anywhere this year.

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I would like to see Epenesa get through a semi-normal offseason and training camp before considering trading him.  I thought he showed some flashes last year as the season moved along.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would like to see Epenesa get through a semi-normal offseason and training camp before considering trading him.  I thought he showed some flashes last year as the season moved along.

Seriously, how about you give him a few more years, the dude was just drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Hey if they offer 3 firsts for him you send him packing though, right? 😀 I can't imagine any offer that is forthcoming that makes it a smart trade.

18 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

So what's your solution for the log jam on the D line??  Very likely Hughes, Star, an Addison have no trade value due to big contracts and Addison and Star have no cap savings if cut.  Not sure about Hughes, likely not a huge savings.  So the only ones left are players still on their 1st contracts and not Oliver who starts are Phillips, Zimmer, Johnson, and Epinesa or the FA they just signed.

Agree it would be rather unusual to trade a 2nd round pick after one season but something needs to give.  Teams also will know the Bills have to cut some of these guys so will try and wait them out and not agree to trade for them.

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what's your solution for the log jam on the D line??  Very likely Hughes, Star, an Addison have no trade value due to big contracts and Addison and Star have no cap savings if cut.  Not sure about Hughes, likely not a huge savings.  So the only ones left are players still on their 1st contracts and not Oliver who starts are Phillips, Zimmer, Johnson, and Epinesa or the FA they just signed.

Agree it would be rather unusual to trade a 2nd round pick after one season but something needs to give.  Teams also will know the Bills have to cut some of these guys so will try and wait them out and not agree to trade for them.

If Beane was able to trade Lee Smith I'm fairly confident the 'wizard' will he able to pull something off.

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think Efe and Addison are fighting for the last DE spot.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don’t see anything happening this season to rid us of DL other than bottom of the roster guys.  It’s the last season under contract for Hughes, Addison, Phillips, Obada, Butler, Cox and Zimmer.  Plus they are likely to part ways with Star too.  Some of them might be brought back, but without that happening our 2022 DE rotation looks like it’ll be Epensa, Rousseau and Basham.  Our DTs will be Oliver and maybe Star plus whomever else we sign and Rousseau dropping to DT on passing downs. 

Addison and Hughes are going to be here this year because the rookies aren’t going to be ready and we need their vet presence.  Plus we know what we are going to get from them on the field, unlike with rookies.  They aren’t going anywhere until next offseason. 

Edited by BarleyNY

10 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

If Beane was able to trade Lee Smith I'm fairly confident the 'wizard' will he able to pull something off.

Big difference, Lee Smith only had a salary coming of about $2 mil from what I recall, Hughes is due $9.5 mil with $3.1 dead and Addison is due $8.2 mil with $4.8 dead.  So doubt you're trading them, likely the only ones you cna trade are the ones on initial contracts.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Efe and Addison are fighting for the last DE spot.  

Based on talent, agree, but Addison has a fully guaranteed contract so can't see him getting cut.   Efe and Phillips are the two guys who might get something back in return, maybe a 5th rounder as if the Bills announce they are being shopped, every other team also knows they may be cut.  Efe is also the guy who could be the best of all of them too long term.

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t see anything happening this season to rid us of DL other than bottom of the roster guys.  It’s the last season under contract for Hughes, Addison, Phillips, Obada, Butler, Cox and Zimmer.  Plus they are likely to part ways with Star too.  Some of them might be brought back, but without that happening our 2022 DE rotation looks like it’ll be Epensa, Rousseau and Basham.  Our DTs will be Oliver and maybe Star plus whomever else we sign and Rousseau dropping to DT on passing downs. 

Addison and Hughes are going to be here this year because the rookies aren’t going to be ready and we need their vet presence.  Plus we know what we are going to get from them on the field, unlike with rookies.  They aren’t going anywhere until next offseason. 

Agree but good chance the guys you're getting rid of like a Johnson, Phillips, Zimmer, or Efe may be better than the guys replacing them in their rookie year.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yeah, he really did start looking good near the end. I'm excited about Epenesa's possibilities. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Beane loves him some Addison.  Had a presser late draft yesterday and went out of his way to commend Addison on taking Epenesa under his wing (along with Hughes).  Also mentioned Addison texted him talking about helping out the new guys.

Beane mentioned the restructured contract and “he’ll be a FA next year”.  Agree, don’t think he’s going anywhere this year.

The pressure point seems to be pointing squarely at Harrison Phillips, Zimmer, Efe, Butler, and Bam...Bam may be the safest of that bunch due to his contributions on ST's. He's one of their core ST's players. The Bills figure to mix Rousseau and Basham into the DT rotation on obvious passing downs, which is going to be close to 60% of the time, and that is going to effect how many DT's they keep. I think it's a little telling they did not Draft a DT, nor have they signed a UDFA DT as of yet. There is going to be a different approach on that D-Line in 2020...They can't keep them all...That much is certain. B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

People keep saying that about Star, that they're likely to part ways with him. There is no reason to think it's true, none.

Particularly the way we just drafted.

We wouldn't save much money at all. If they cut him after this year there would be $5.1M in dead cap money and we'd save his $6.15M salary and $600K in roster and workout bonus. 

Unless Star regresses, there's a good chance he'll be here for a while.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

People keep saying that about Star, that they're likely to part ways with him. There is no reason to think it's true, none.

Particularly the way we just drafted.

We wouldn't save much money at all. If they cut him after this year there would be $5.1M in dead cap money and we'd save his $6.15M salary and $600K in roster and workout bonus. 

Unless Star regresses, there's a good chance he'll be here for a while.

Honestly, that’s a pretty fair assessment.  Star will be here this season and there’s a good chance that he will be here next due to the structure of his reworked contract.  New money in it is really not that bad, but this season’s salary is fully guaranteed and $2M of next season’s is as well.  The frustration many feel is due to the massive initial contract he got (that we are still seeing cap hits from) and his below average performance since he’s been here.  The two ways I see that this could play out are: 1) he’s good enough this season that he’s here in 2022 or 2) he’s poor enough that the Bills suck it up move on after this season.

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

All true, but here's the thing.  From Sal Capaccio's chart on Twitter:

image.png.5d586b4aa6a3c233b69ff6328a8fa1e5.png

Let's say Cox Jr, Love, and Bryant fall right off the roster, onto the practice squad if they like.

Hughes and Addison start.  Two guys between Epenesa, Johnson, Obada, Rousseau, and Basham rotate in.  We maybe keep ?4? on the roster?  ?5?

At least 2 gotta go.  At a guess, whoever looks the most raw between Rousseau and Basham develops a hangnail in training camp and winds up on IR.  Who is the other?  Obada is a developmental player in progress, but he would have led the Bills last year in sacks AND QB hits, while typically only playing 30% of the snaps in a game.    Beane has gone out of his way to praise Johnson, who really saw his snaps jump at the end of last season and who is a special teams stalwart as well, but the fact is, he didn't manage much in the way of pressure.  Do we finally break the stranglehold ST has on dictating our roster?

At DT, the expected rotation based on 2019 would be Phillips/Lotulelei at 1T and Butler/Oliver at 3T.  But Zimmer did show some chops, and McD does like at least one backup.  I would hate to see Zimmer go.

Do they keep 10 DLmen?  11?

It's a quandry.

It's a mystery.

I just hope in the end, it's a good problem.