RD 5, pick 17 (161): Tommy Doyle, OT (Miami, OH)

Draft Pick Approval  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I love it. But I also like adding linebacker and secondary depth. Listen, we don’t have to blindly gush over everything Beane does. I’m not a fan of this pick. This particular pick, I like the first 3 picks. I’m sorry to upset some of you. 

Who is upset?  If you heard Beanes PC on Friday, he said players will be available, as cuts will happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Looks like short arms for 6'8"??? Love the blocking air technique with the right hand. 

Just humor guys...not being serious 

I know you were being tongue and cheek, but I do sometimes think the long arm thing gets a bit overemphasized. If an o-lineman can still move well and have the big wing span then that is an added benefit being able to control defensive line players without letting them get into your body.

But when playing in space ( thinking T here and TE) I will take a linemen that can move their feet and play with good balance over their base rather than guys with tree limbs for arms but whose feet are cemented into the turf. I am thinking a bit about Ford here... I thought when they moved up to draft him that he had terrific upper body strength and long arms, but the feet were slow. It was particularly obvious when Oklahoma would pull him and he struggled and lunged lining up blocks.

Those guys with slower feet but long arms tend to lean too much and over stride because they are used to compensating with those long arms. I think that works with lesser competition, but is tough in the pros.

I am not too down on Ford, but think it is best that they have migrated him to the interior where there is generally less space he has to cover and he can do more power-blocking which should show for us when we run his way. He still has to work on quick feet and those short choppy steps maintaining his balance so he can leverage that above average strength he has.

The other benefit to improving the quick feet for linemen is being able to get your cleats out of the turf before your knees gets twisted like a pretzel or when the pile drives into you from behind - sucks. But getting those feet free helps cut down on the injuries.

• Like (+1) 3

Just watched his interview with the Buffalo media.  Kid was so nervous you can see his heart beating through his chest. He answered questions like McD.  Saying absolutely nothing.  

that’s a big kid 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It’s interesting to see the duplicate picks at tackle. One possibility  is Beane counting on some preseason  trades for mid round picks next year. 

Either that or stash some on PS.  5th round picks are borderline risks of being grabbed by another team when initially cut.   6th and 7ths worth taking the risk.  May also see a number of these rookies develop injuries late August requiring them to be on season ending IR.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Special K said:

No, I meant it will be tough for opposing kickers to kick over...field goal blocking is what I was referring to 

Doyle was referring to blocking for field goal attempts not being put in to block field goals. 

On 5/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, BillsFan2313 said:

Who is upset?  If you heard Beanes PC on Friday, he said players will be available, as cuts will happen.

My off season wish, I want @Brennan Huff to be the new Bils gm. He obviously knows more than the GM who built a 13-3 team, that went to the AFC championship game. 

16 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

My off season wish, I want @Brennan Huff to be the new Bils gm. He obviously knows more than the GM who built a 13-3 team, that went to the AFC championship game. 

Did you just quote yourself? Just to talk ***** to me? lol ok I’m adding you to the ignore list

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:30 PM, LeGOATski said:

Officially calling this the "Eco-Draft" because we're adopting trees.

That's a cherry take but I'm not sure if it will be poplar enough to catch on...

On 5/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, One Buffalo said:

So with Brown (scored 10 and is no. 1) and now Doyle we have two of the top 12 RAS scores going all the way back to 1987... interesting.  

I have to believe some of these exceptional numbers are due to the lack of a combine this year.   I would be curious if someone analyzed these numbers for this year vs. previous years.  For example, average 40 times for all drafted wide receivers, this year vs. previous.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, Brennan Huff said:

I love it. But I also like adding linebacker and secondary depth. Listen, we don’t have to blindly gush over everything Beane does. I’m not a fan of this pick. This particular pick, I like the first 3 picks. I’m sorry to upset some of you. 

Agreed.  Days later I had to come read this thread so I can convince my brain that we actually picked this guy in the 5th over Trey Smith (only to fall to the chiefs).  This is definitely my most hated pick under the Beane tenure.  Prove me wrong Doyle!!!  I’m pulling for ya!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Keep posting your opinions.  Don't listen to this board. Most are just Beane sycophants and most of them don't know what sycophant means.

I'd be down with that!

Don’t insult my intelligence and it’s not very nice to make fun of elephants that don’t feel well.

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So apparently there is some confusion between eel and sea urchin gonads

I'm here to clarify

I do want to say something that may get me banned...,