Big and Nasty

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

No issues with going D-Line and O-Line. 
However, our Left Tackle and Right tackle are locked in for the next 3 years. If all goes well, the two tackles we drafted never see the field.

If you were so worried about our O-Line getting man-handled by KC, wouldn’t you prefer us taking an interior lineman? That’s where we got absolutely crushed last year... not Tackle.

Plenty of people are happy we drafted OL/DL and simply think we picked the wrong position to bolster.

I wanted us to draft a C/G high in the draft.

Obviously Beane saw it differently. 

I havent read all of this thread... so apologies if I'm just repeating someone else's point...

I sleep well at night in the knowledge that Beane knows EXACTLY what this team team needs to match/defeat the chiefs and other top/emerging AFC teams and will do everything under his control to address those needs. So... yes he is painfully aware that Wallace/Jackson isnt the answer at CB2 and that will most definitely be address in FA before week 1.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now that I think about it we actually have 3 other guys that can play/did play center other than Morse last year.

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Wildgoose isn’t big but he definitely plays nasty! Think he will backup Taron Johnson, the play similar.... Plus Wildgoose is the best name on the Bills hands down!!!

And if he gets beat and tries to catch up, we'll have...do I need to type it?...a Wildgoose chase.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part of the reason is that average starting guards in particular are a lot easier and cheaper to replace in FA than the other line positions. Honestly, if he’d have wanted to nab a center he had the pick of Myers or Humphrey instead of Basham in the 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Part of the reason is that average starting guards in particular are a lot easier and cheaper to replace in FA than the other line positions. Honestly, if he’d have wanted to nab a center he had the pick of Myers or Humphrey instead of Basham in the 2nd. 

My perspective is we need to move beyond average starting guards, into elite ones.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, somnus00 said:

That goes both ways, no? The secondary and the D-line work together. QBs in today's NFL get rid of the ball so fast. If you have a great secondary, you can get the QB to hold on to the ball for another second. That gives the line a better chance at getting to the QB.

I'm not saying that Beane is wrong. How can I? But I can have an opinion, and I really wish that we had picked some athletic freaks for the secondary. Dane and Levi aren't athletic enough to press or play man.

If you're suggesting that adding solid covering DBs to the defense is how you get pressure to the QB in the modern NFL, you'd be right.

People love the big, dramatic, athletic, QB pounding DE with lots of sacks. How much impact does such a player have on most plays of most games?  

Very little, is the answer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My perspective is we need to move beyond average starting guards, into elite ones.

That’s my perspective as well. However, I will acknowledge that sometimes concessions need to be made to manage the cap. With how many college tackles become guards it’s entirely possible that Beane drafted with that in mind as well as the trade value of said players. 

I will admit to being unsure how much of our poor running performance last season and poor pass blocking against the Chiefs was the result of scheme vs available healthy talent. It’s possible that something clicks for Ford and Feliciano bounces back without an injury. I’m not holding out hope for that though. It’s more likely to me that certain scheme issues and playcalling/personnel tendencies get ironed out before the season starts. Of course, it’s entirely possible that this team gets to camp, identifies a personnel issue, and Beane makes a trade. 🤷‍♂️