Big and Nasty

First four picks are exactly what we need. Last year we got to the afc championship without a good front 7 and got exposed. Now we add depth and nastiness.. hmm check number 1

We need to protect our most important asset.. hmm check number 2. 
Amazing how many people are expressing a desire for CB2. Let’s get real the reason kc beat us is we couldn’t get to mahommes and their dline manhandled us

You go beane. Sees our weaknesses and doubles down! What a front office

• Agree 5

14 minutes ago, cwchze said:

First four picks are exactly what we need. Last year we got to the afc championship without a good front 7 and got exposed. Now we add depth and nastiness.. hmm check number 1

We need to protect our most important asset.. hmm check number 2. 
Amazing how many people are expressing a desire for CB2. Let’s get real the reason kc beat us is we couldn’t get to mahommes and their dline manhandled us

You go beane. Sees our weaknesses and doubles down! What a front office

That goes both ways, no? The secondary and the D-line work together. QBs in today's NFL get rid of the ball so fast. If you have a great secondary, you can get the QB to hold on to the ball for another second. That gives the line a better chance at getting to the QB.

I'm not saying that Beane is wrong. How can I? But I can have an opinion, and I really wish that we had picked some athletic freaks for the secondary. Dane and Levi aren't athletic enough to press or play man.

I agree OP, but the dropoff in talent at CB after White still needs to be addressed regardless. CB is clearly a very important position in today's NFL aerial circus. We were too soft in the trenches too and that has been addressed. I seriously doubt we'll find our CB2 upgrade on day 3, so unless we unload another veteran to land a FA CB this Summer, we'll get to watch Wallace getting burned yet again.

Edited by GreggTX

While I didn’t like the Doyle pick because I had no clue who he was and the Basham pick because there were other players I preferred and the Brown pick because I love Kenneth Gainwell.....I’m very happy that we’re getting big and nasty.  I really do love it. 

• Like (+1) 1

No issues with going D-Line and O-Line. 
However, our Left Tackle and Right tackle are locked in for the next 3 years. If all goes well, the two tackles we drafted never see the field.

If you were so worried about our O-Line getting man-handled by KC, wouldn’t you prefer us taking an interior lineman? That’s where we got absolutely crushed last year... not Tackle.

Plenty of people are happy we drafted OL/DL and simply think we picked the wrong position to bolster.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

That goes both ways, no? The secondary and the D-line work together. QBs in today's NFL get rid of the ball so fast. If you have a great secondary, you can get the QB to hold on to the ball for another second. That gives the line a better chance at getting to the QB.

I'm not saying that Beane is wrong. How can I? But I can have an opinion, and I really wish that we had picked some athletic freaks for the secondary. Dane and Levi aren't athletic enough to press or play man.

The current analytics crowd supports your stance.  Coverage > Pass Rush.  Pass rush is more stable year to year, but coverage is a better predictor of defensive success.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I agree OP, but the dropoff in talent at CB after White still needs to be addressed regardless. CB is clearly a very important position in today's NFL aerial circus. We were too soft in the trenches too and that has been addressed. I seriously doubt we'll find our CB2 upgrade on day 3, so unless we unload another veteran to land a FA CB this Summer, we'll get to watch Wallace getting burned yet again.

I think fans will be pleasantly surprised when Dane beats out Levi to hold down that CB2 spot until next years draft.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

However, our Left Tackle and Right tackle are locked in for the next 3 years. If all goes well, the two tackles we drafted never see the field.

If you were so worried about our O-Line getting man-handled by KC, wouldn’t you prefer us taking an interior lineman? That’s where we got absolutely crushed last year... not Tackle.

Plenty of people are happy we drafted OL/DL and simply think we picked the wrong position to bolster.

I guess, ideally in three years, one or both of Brown and Doyle are ready to step into starting roles, and at the very least are functional depth and competition for a couple of years. 

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Was anyone a little worried what we were about to see opening this thread reading that title? 

I certainly didn't open expecting something entirely different.. >_>

Edited by jeremy2020

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Simple reason. These guys will be playing guard, and likely excelling at it, before they even sniff playing tackle. 

36 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Simple reason. These guys will be playing guard, and likely excelling at it, before they even sniff playing tackle. 

Name one guard in the league who’s 6’8”... much less 6’9”.

They would be easily out-leveraged and would block passing lanes for Josh. They are simply Tackles. They are not Guards.

7 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I agree, I would like to see an upgrade at CB and maybe nickel corner.

Did any of the CBs drafted after Pick 30 fit your idea of athletic freak who would be an upgrade on Dane and Levi?

I think there was probably some truth to the rumors that the Bills were calling around trying to move up above pick 23 and if they were, who knows what they would have gone after.  But either there wasn't a trade partner, or the price anyone wanted was higher than Beane wanted to pay 🤷‍♂️which would, I assume, have to do with his assessment of the impact not having picks as cheap replacements would have a year or two down the road.

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Name one guard in the league who’s 6’8”... much less 6’9”.

They would be easily out-leveraged and would block passing lanes for Josh. They are simply Tackles. They are not Guards.

I made a separate thread about this... you might be on to something. Not sure if you knew this, but the Bills currently have the tallest center and Tallest Guard in the league. Morse and Boettger, both 6’6”. Interesting point.

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I made a separate thread about this... you might be on to something. Not sure if you knew this, but the Bills currently have the tallest center and Tallest Guard in the league. Morse and Boettger, both 6’6”. Interesting point.

I had no idea Mitch Morse was that tall.  He just comes across as a smaller guy in his media availabilities - maybe it's that "classy" modest demeanor.

Erik Pears is 6'8" and Doug Marrone felt he was our best option at guard.  I can't say I 1) agreed 2) thought the experiment was a success