Spencer Brown a Lee smith fill in?

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I think all are in agreement that this is a fine plan.

"Lee Smith replacement" sounds like the OP wants him to be a tight end. That's where my hesitation comes in. Goal line packages and occasional tackle eligible plays? Absolutely. Converting him to tight end? Not so much.

Some people looked at Lee Smith as basically a 6th O-Lineman who occasionally went out for passes. 

I could see using a huge athletic OT as a blocking TE for more than just goaline situations. 

The Bills keep their Te is block on passing downs often.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Some people looked at Lee Smith as basically a 6th O-Lineman who occasionally went out for passes. 

I could see using a huge athletic OT as a blocking TE for more than just goaline situations. 

The Bills keep their Te is block on passing downs often.

I'm just saying there's a reason that NFL teams don't frequently deploy six offensive linemen between the 20s. The Bills aren't the first team to have good tackle depth, or a backup tackle that can catch passes. 

Also, when Lee Smith was on the field between the 20s, teams basically knew the Bills were running the ball. That's one of the reasons I think they traded him away and brought in Jacob Hollister instead. They want their tight end deployment to not telegraph their intentions to the degree that it did with Smith on the field. If Lee Smith telegraphed run, a sixth offensive lineman damned sure does the same.

Finally, I think there's more to playing the tight end position than "hey, kid, go out there and block on this play". There's a whole different regimen of assignments and responsibilities and checks the player would need to know. It's not Madden, where you can just throw him in and say YOLO.

Cross training at two positions is a tough ask for a raw rookie. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think all are in agreement that this is a fine plan.

"Lee Smith replacement" sounds like the OP wants him to be a tight end. That's where my hesitation comes in. Goal line packages and occasional tackle eligible plays? Absolutely. Converting him to tight end? Not so much.

Okay.  Yeah, we want to develop him as an OT of course.  But I would contend that Lee Smith was probably more of an OT than a TE even though he was listed as a TE on the roster 😂🤣

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm just saying there's a reason that NFL teams don't frequently deploy six offensive linemen between the 20s. The Bills aren't the first team to have good tackle depth, or a backup tackle that can catch passes. 

Also, when Lee Smith was on the field between the 20s, teams basically knew the Bills were running the ball. That's one of the reasons I think they traded him away and brought in Jacob Hollister instead. They want their tight end deployment to not telegraph their intentions to the degree that it did with Smith on the field. If Lee Smith telegraphed run, a sixth offensive lineman damned sure does the same.

Finally, I think there's more to playing the tight end position than "hey, kid, go out there and block on this play". There's a whole different regimen of assignments and responsibilities and checks the player would need to know. It's not Madden, where you can just throw him and and say YOLO.

Cross training at two positions is a tough ask for a raw rookie. That's all I'm saying.

Sure. Just thinking a little outside the box here.  Not really thinking about training Brown as a TE. More like playing two OT's on one side. 

It can still be a passing formation with 3 wr's and 1 rb... Here's a situation, the Chargers were moving Bosa around on both sides. You motion Brown to whatever side Bosa is an and double team him in pass pro. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay.  Yeah, we want to develop him as an OT of course.  But I would contend that Lee Smith was probably more of an OT than a TE even though he was listed as a TE on the roster 😂🤣

I hear ya.

But Lee Smith had to know the assignments of the tight end for every offensive play in the playbook. He went to tight end meetings and practiced with the tight ends. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

ok maybe i didnt explain well. hes not a TE and hes not going to be their long term. your utilizing your roster to fill specialty roles instead of being on the bench all game. thats all. when he steps into be a starter role he onviously cannot be a shortyardage TE.

Ok, even after explaining I'll say no... He'll have zero to do in any capacity at TE for any reasoning. Maybe catch a pass or 2 once every 100th game.

Inside the 5 yard line we're going with..

Dawkins - Brown - Ford - Morse - Doyle - Feliciano - Williams ------------- Diggs -- Duke

......................................... Allen

........................................... .......... Moss

🤑

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Sure. Just thinking a little outside the box here.  Not really thinking about training Brown as a TE. More like playing two OT's on one side. 

It can still be a passing formation with 3 wr's and 1 rb... Here's a situation, the Chargers were moving Bosa around on both sides. You motion Brown to whatever side Bosa is an and double team him in pass pro. 

this is absolutely what im talking about. creative thinking. if a pass rusher is crushing you all game instead of max protecting and having a te fuctionally become a lineman...PUT IN A LINEMAN. 

its amazing how stringent teams have been with roles. i understand complexity and formations but the more you can diversify a roster the less cap hits you take for jobs that see little if any playing time. 

when we start having to shed cap space for josh and quality players cant be retained paying a TE 9 million to block when you have a stable of backup linemen who specialize in blocking makes less sense then, no hes a tackle and guard..thats all.

18 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Inside the 5 yard line we're going with..

Dawkins - Brown - Ford - Morse - Doyle - Feliciano - Williams ------------- Diggs -- Duke

......................................... Allen

........................................... .......... Moss

🤑

switch out allen with knox

moss with star ramming up the middle

easy td 😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffarukus said:

ok maybe i didnt explain well. hes not a TE and hes not going to be their long term. your utilizing your roster to fill specialty roles instead of being on the bench all game. thats all. when he steps into be a starter role he onviously cannot be a shortyardage TE.

Yeah you explained it fine and it’s not a bad idea but your thread title is badly misleading. 

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah you explained it fine and it’s not a bad idea but your thread title is badly misleading. 

yeah there are quite a few people that literally want guys to switch positions. not what im saying. ill try and change it.

edit: done hopefully "fill in" explains it better then "replacement".

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Buffarukus changed the title to Spencer Brown a Lee smith fill in?

I agree with this thought. He COULD fill in the hole that Lee Smith leaving left us with. He is a big blocker that was at one time a TE. If the coaching staff wants to get him on the field I could see him being a blocking TE (essentially a 6th lineman). He does have that fearlessness in him, did u see his leap through the table? His athleticism is through the roof and he is so big I think defenses might forget he is a TE, potentially leaving him open.  I understand the tackle eligible stuff but if they just make him a TE they wouldnt have to announce his eligibility every time he is on the field. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

i got some negative feedback from a fanbase that watched a starting DT get short yard reps at RB and do pretty well. 

im crazy.

That DT wasn't a rookie who was struggling to learn his own role. Giving a 10 year vet a few extra plays is different.

Down the road I can see him doing tackle eligible stuff. IMO he'll be concentrating on working hard on learning what he needs to do to become a good NFL tackle. If there are other things after that, great, but I think that's very likely to be his first five priorities.

Someone talked about being an extra tackle on the end. Yeah, that could make sense, I think, particularly if it comes later in the year after he's found his feet a bit.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

That DT wasn't a rookie who was struggling to learn his own role. Giving a 10 year vet a few extra plays is different.

Down the road I can see him doing tackle eligible stuff. IMO he'll be concentrating on working hard on learning what he needs to do to become a good NFL tackle. If there are other things after that, great, but I think that's very likely to be his first five priorities.

Someone talked about being an extra tackle on the end. Yeah, that could make sense, I think, particularly if it comes later in the year after he's found his feet a bit.

yeah i can see that. im sure its alot to take in especially being raw. nothing better to learn if your progressing then live ammo and hes not practicing during games so why not give him reps.

a big diff between the two is also dt and rb are completely diff. lee smith was a blocker on the edge who occasionally caught a pass. i think they are similar enough where he can practice exactly what hes learning and athletic enough to leak out for a (lee smith) type pass a time or two. 

if hes a liability then it is what it is. but def worth a serious look just for a 6 foot 8 target jump ball mismatch.

id also like to know why nfl teams cant find centers that can long snap. millions for a single action. things like that when added up save critical roster spots and cap for teams on heavy qb contracts. thats all im saying. get creative and keep talent on the field when you can. losing a poyer for a few million cause you have to pay a blocking te and fb for limited plays or keeping a talented young backup on the bench seems like a old way of thinking.

maybe im wrong

Edited by Buffarukus