What was your worst take ever?

On 5/3/2021 at 4:10 AM, Arm of Harm said:

Rob Johnson is also on my list of bad takes. He had the right physical tools and if you gave him time in the pocket he was accurate, especially on intermediate to deep passes. But he was slow at processing information and was a sack waiting to happen. I sometimes wonder what his career would have been like if he’d gone to the Ravens after being cut by the Bills. The Ravens had a great OL, anchored by Hall of Fame LT Jon Ogden. They needed a QB. So . . . maybe? At least he’d have had plenty of time to throw. 

Yeah, after Rob Johnson left I still thought he would get himself together and be a star. This illustrates just how sold I was on him.

Then, I was at a Bills game at RWS when he was on the Redskins. Their QB was injured and RJ came in. He was absolutely awful, and he was sacked several times.  Once, Schobel hit him SO hard that I was concerned for his health. 

RJ was big and had a great arm. He was accurate and his ball looked easy to catch. He was even a fast runner. This made it hard for me to see how bad he in fact was. After RJ, I was never fooled by another QB other than Edwards, and this only for a few games. 

I think I was WAY ahead of the pack knowing just how terrible Losman was. The play was over every time he rolled to his right lol!

• Like (+1) 1

Well I wasn’t team Allen at all to the point when he was drafted I left the party I was at and went home. Whoops!

But on here I wanted Micah Hyde for his performance the 1st half of last year.

The funniest was when I “guaranteed” there was no way the Bills and Chiefs would play at night last season and two days later it leaked that the game was on Thursday Night Football haha

On 5/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, IBTG81 said:

That Rob Johnson was going to be a mega star. 

When the deal 1st hit the news I looked up Rob's career in college & at Jacksonville and came to one conclusion.  The 1st thing I posted here I titled the thread "Rob Johnson, the sacked man" because it was pretty evident he held on to the ball too long for his own good & had a high % of being sacked.  Then I  Iistened to Wade & Butler and they convinced me I was wrong and I was on Rob's side during the QB controversy.  In the end it turned out my 1st impression was correct & worse than just taking sacks, he was injury prone & you never knew if he'd be available week to week.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

...he was injury prone & you never knew if he'd be available week to week.  

We would hear 'week to week', but they actually were saying "weak, too weak!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Punctuation. It saves lives.
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, after Rob Johnson left I still thought he would get himself together and be a star. This illustrates just how sold I was on him.

Then, I was at a Bills game at RWS when he was on the Redskins. Their QB was injured and RJ came in. He was absolutely awful, and he was sacked several times.  Once, Schobel hit him SO hard that I was concerned for his health. 

RJ was big and had a great arm. He was accurate and his ball looked easy to catch. He was even a fast runner. This made it hard for me to see how bad he in fact was. After RJ, I was never fooled by another QB other than Edwards, and this only for a few games. 

I think I was WAY ahead of the pack knowing just how terrible Losman was. The play was over every time he rolled to his right lol!

Rj was an unmatched sack taking machine. In 98 he had an absurd 21.3% sack rate in like 5 games. His other 2 seasons starting, he was comfortably around 13-14.

Tyrod would take them too, but no one could get sacked quite like rob Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was in a bar of Bills Backers outside Philly when he came in and threw for like 115 yards in his first quarter of play. We were all going nuts in this room high fiving, SALVATION had arrived, etc. Boy was I wrong. 

Give him a little credit, he did everything he could to win that Homerun Throw-Forward game against a good defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll also cop to being on the Rosen > Allen train (thankfully most of us survived the derailment though).  That's probably #1, when you consider just how wrong I was on both ends of it. 

But dishonorable mention goes to me thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.  I figured that our D had been really good under Pettine in 2013(?), so it could be just as good or better under Ryan, and I thought that under the showy exterior he was a good coach who consistently won football games.  None of that was anywhere close to being right.

Just now, Cash said:

I'll also cop to being on the Rosen > Allen train (thankfully most of us survived the derailment though).  That's probably #1, when you consider just how wrong I was on both ends of it. 

But dishonorable mention goes to me thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.  I figured that our D had been really good under Pettine in 2013(?), so it could be just as good or better under Ryan, and I thought that under the showy exterior he was a good coach who consistently won football games.  None of that was anywhere close to being right.

Yeah, i tried to like rex ryan too.  Woops.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Rj was an unmatched sack taking machine. In 98 he had an absurd 21.3% sack rate in like 5 games. His other 2 seasons starting, he was comfortably around 13-14.

Tyrod would take them too, but no one could get sacked quite like rob Johnson.

I was at the 1997 Ravens home opener against the Jags (afternoon game after Todd Collins and the Bills laid an egg against the Vikings), he looked great in his one big game (got hurt though, go figure).

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2013/08/1997-rob-johnson-rallies-jaguars-to-win.html?m=1

When we traded for him, I wasn’t exactly jumping up & down but I was excited to see what he would do. Didn’t take me long to move to Team Flutie.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

I was in a bar of Bills Backers outside Philly when he came in and threw for like 115 yards in his first quarter of play. We were all going nuts in this room high fiving, SALVATION had arrived, etc. Boy was I wrong. 

Give him a little credit, he did everything he could to win that Homerun Throw-Forward game against a good defense. 

I know he "did enough to win", and there were some questionable calls (kicking on 1st down with 20 seconds left - I know we had no timeouts... get a little creative and you can kick that as time expires - if there's 1-5 seconds on the clock kick it out of bounds and defend a hail mary). 

But it was a terrible game - 10/22 for 131, took 6 sacks and fumbled twice (lost one and the other was a safety).  Sacked on more than 20% of drop backs, completed less than 50% of passes.  His inability to evade pressure kept them behind the sticks all game.  They had 46 yards at halftime, and 28 of them were rushing yards from the backs. So his 18 pass plays generated 18 yards.  I don't even know how he came out and started the 2nd half.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I make many mistakes. Some of them:

I though Rob Johnson had what it took to be great. Later I thought J.P. Losman, though not great, could be a consistent starter. 

I hated to see CJ Spiller go. Later I hated to see Sammy Watkins go.

In the beginning I thought all McDermott's and Beane's talk about "Trust the Process" amounted to nothing more than "We're always right, don't ever question us." It sounded like hot air to me, just another way to deflect criticism from two guys who stripped the team of talent and were out of their depth. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Two stand out for me:

1) Rob Johnson.  I still think it was probably the right choice to start him against Tennessee, but I was way too confident in his ability to be a top-flight QB going forward.

2) I don't remember exactly when I thought this, but I felt really good about Trent Edwards at one point.  Then he got concussed and sucked from then on.  Not sure if it was the concussion or he always sucked and the concussion was just a coincidence, but either way I was way off here.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Two stand out for me:

1) Rob Johnson.  I still think it was probably the right choice to start him against Tennessee, but I was way too confident in his ability to be a top-flight QB going forward.

2) I don't remember exactly when I thought this, but I felt really good about Trent Edwards at one point.  Then he got concussed and sucked from then on.  Not sure if it was the concussion or he always sucked and the concussion was just a coincidence, but either way I was way off here.

Regarding Johnson... I just couldn't get behind it.  It was a tremendously poor first half, and I still can't believe he came out to start the 2nd half.  Worst offensive output of the season yardage wise.  Meddling owner cost the team a shot at a super bowl.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John Adams said:

I happened to be in a sports bar and saw the a game he played with Tampa Bay. Please trust me, he was perfect. He was throwing great, accurate passes and they upset the team they were playing.  Worse yet, I saw one of his college games in which he was also great. So great that I wanted the Bills to draft him but ya know, he lasted until the 1st pick of the 4th round. Sometimes the scouts are right.

Anyway, Wade HAD to have seen the Tampa game that I saw. I remember him at a press conference welcoming in the "Rob Johnson Era." 

Seriously! :)