What was your worst take ever?

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I also approved the Rex Ryan hire. I figured if Pegs wouldn’t clean house of all Ralph’s trash, Rex would at least shake things up.

It also seemed to me at the time that Ryan had a pretty good plan to beat the Pats...

• Agree 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, McBean said:

At first, I hated the Allen pick. Didn’t warm up to him until 2019.

Guilty. Said we picked the wrong Josh.  In my defense, I also said I really hoped I was wrong and would gladly eat crow, which I am doing again, with this post. 

• Like (+1) 1

-I was very much in favor of Rob Johnson.

-I did not think a “defensive coach” like this McDermott was what we needed.

- I did not like that we traded Kiko

-Was mad we got rid of Darius

- so sick of EJ that I actually was in favor of Peter-Man

- wasn’t huge on picking Edmunds because I felt Preston Brown was good

* current take that could go south is: “we don’t have a good running game and the bills can’t win a title without one.” I hope to god Singletary and/or Moss have a great year

9 hours ago, Rico said:

This is the last Bills home game I have attended, sad but true. One for the ages, I was never completely down on Todd Collins after witnessing this game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199709210buf.htm

You have a jones for terrible Bills QBs who have the singular memorable comeback! I remember watching that game and yelling at the TV to Antowain Smith to take a knee at the one yard line at end the game. He ran it in for a TD instead, and Harbaugh almost brought them back (missing the 2p conversion).  Where were you with EJ’s comeback vs Carolina in 2013 (the one where the Bills benefited from a very shaky PI call vs. Keuchly that put them inside the 10 yard line)? That was pretty clutch.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You have a jones for terrible Bills QBs who have the singular memorable comeback! I remember watching that game and yelling at the TV to Antowain Smith to take a knee at the one yard line at end the game. He ran it in for a TD instead, and Harbaugh almost brought them back (missing the 2p conversion).  Where were you with EJ’s comeback vs Carolina in 2013 (the one where the Bills benefited from a very shaky PI call vs. Keuchly that put them inside the 10 yard line)? That was pretty clutch.

I was glad they won the game and yes he got the job done, but other than the ending, that was a pretty crappy game compared to Marangi 74 and Collins 97. The only time EJ really impressed me was the following year when they beat the Bears in the season opener. Not that he was great or anything, but that game was a nice surprise and it looked like he might finally progress into something. A few weeks later, he’s benched after the Texans game, go figure.

EJ is just one of many Bills (like Whaley) from the TSW era that I would grow to dislike even more than normal because of this board. I would read in here how good they were when it was obvious that wasn’t the case. Classic example is Mike ‘Puddinhead’ Williams. It was a great move taking him instead of McKinnie cause he has a “mean streak. Loves to plant defenders into the turf.”, then he gets here and is softer than a marshmallow, yet people still say he’s doing good. :lol: 

I really thought Trent Edwards was going to be the answer at QB. Same with EJ.

Of course, I also thought the iPod was pretty lame when they first announced it. I also remember seeing an early HTML page in Mosaic back in the early 90s and thinking that it would never amount to much.

"This Netflix thing will never work..." When I was being forced to push it at... Media Play (rip).

In my defense it was when they were only renting DVDs by mail, streaming wasn't a thing yet.

I was also pretty bullish that Trent was the answer...

Annnnnd, I was fairly certain the "glory days" were back after Fitz beat the Pats, with that hot start which lead to the contract extension.

I dunno, this is a tough one because I’m a fan, and therefore I root for many players who don’t turn out to be very good. Some not-so-distant bad takes:

Zay Jones caught everything in college and will be a stud

Whaley needs to be given a chance to hire his own coach

I was excited about Peterman getting the start in San Diego 🤣

6 hours ago, SJDK said:

-I was very much in favor of Rob Johnson.

-I did not think a “defensive coach” like this McDermott was what we needed.

- I did not like that we traded Kiko

-Was mad we got rid of Darius

- so sick of EJ that I actually was in favor of Peter-Man

- wasn’t huge on picking Edmunds because I felt Preston Brown was good

* current take that could go south is: “we don’t have a good running game and the bills can’t win a title without one.” I hope to god Singletary and/or Moss have a great year

Rob Johnson is also on my list of bad takes. He had the right physical tools and if you gave him time in the pocket he was accurate, especially on intermediate to deep passes. But he was slow at processing information and was a sack waiting to happen. I sometimes wonder what his career would have been like if he’d gone to the Ravens after being cut by the Bills. The Ravens had a great OL, anchored by Hall of Fame LT Jon Ogden. They needed a QB. So . . . maybe? At least he’d have had plenty of time to throw. 

Don’t beat yourself up for being unhappy with the Kiko trade. Kiko was a young, promising player with his whole career in front of him. LeSean McCoy was getting on in years, at a position not exactly known for longevity. The Bills didn’t have an answer at QB, so it’s not like they were a threat to win the Super Bowl during the short window McCoy gave them. In retrospect Kiko got hurt and was never the same player again. But no way for you, or for that matter Doug Whaley, to know at the time that that was going to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1