What was your worst take ever?

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Omg — that is definitely the worst take ever!! I can’t think of a worse QB than Marangi. He was worse than Peterman because he got more playing time. It was PAINFUL watching him.

Fergy had terrible pocket presence. He would always run backwards trying to get away from the rush and lose a ton of extra yards getting sacked at the worst possible times, used to drive me crazy when I was a kid. Marangi was mobile and (in the pre-season and I think a couple mop-up appearances) he was much better at getting away from pressure and making plays. When he finally got some actual playing time, reality set in HARD. :doh::bag:

• Haha (+1) 1

After some dreadful years of Levy/Brandon in charge, I approved getting Doug Whaley from the Steelers front office. An injection of talent from a first class organization.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I thought John Butler’s last draft as GM in 2000 was gonna be good 

Erik Flowers, Traveres Tillman, Corey Moore, Avion Black, Sammy Morris, Leif Larsen, Drew Haddad, DaShon Polk.

yikes.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Regardless of his coaching chops/record, I didn’t realize how much of a buffon he was and how lazy he had gotten.

🎶We get up at 12

And go to work at 1, 🎵

🎶Take an hour for lunch 

And then at 2 we're done!

Jolly good fun! 🎵

Yeah, if we can pry Rob's a** away from the dessert wagon at the Golden Corral Buffet.

43 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Collins was terrible in 1997 and made it clear that he was a bust.

Yup, me too. Definitely my worst take. Regardless of his coaching chops/record, I didn’t realize how much of a buffon he was and how lazy he had gotten.

I also approved the Rex Ryan hire. I figured if Pegs wouldn’t clean house of all Ralph’s trash, Rex would at least shake things up.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, WMDman said:

rosen over allen

Me too and I'll gladly admit to it every time. 

At that time, it was the right call.

The fact that it didn't work out that way is neither here nor there.

It's also worth noting there was a thread here, about a week before that draft, that said "Rumor, Cleveland is going to take Josh Allen with the No. 1 overall pick."

That thread is FILLLED WITH EVERYONE attacking Josh Allen and making jokes about how dumb Cleveland is.

Now the same posters are the biggest Allen supporters.

LOL

45 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I thought John Butler’s last draft as GM in 2000 was gonna be good 

Erik Flowers, Traveres Tillman, Corey Moore, Avion Black, Sammy Morris, Leif Larsen, Drew Haddad, DaShon Polk.

yikes.

I'll admit to thinking Erik Flowers was going to be pretty good. The rest of that mess? Not so much.  

My worst Bills take has to be thinking that Rob Johnson was going to be good.  Well, he almost was, except I wasn't expecting that he had the absolute worst pocket presence of any QB I've ever seen in my life and worse, the front office made no attempt to put a decent OL in front of him to even try to compensate.  

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Fergy had terrible pocket presence. He would always run backwards trying to get away from the rush and lose a ton of extra yards getting sacked at the worst possible times, used to drive me crazy when I was a kid. Marangi was mobile and (in the pre-season and I think a couple mop-up appearances) he was much better at getting away from pressure and making plays. When he finally got some actual playing time, reality set in HARD. :doh::bag:

Check out Marangi’s completion percentage in 1976! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaraGa00.htm

I was a wrong Josh guy for about 5 minutes.  I am a Bills fan and will back whatever they do.  Leading up to that draft Rosen was the "Proven" QB from a good UCLA system.  Allen was a project who had the tools.  Crazy.  

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Check out Marangi’s completion percentage in 1976! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaraGa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197411170mia.htm

His 1st game ever in 1974 in Miami against the 2x Super Bowl champs, took over for Fergy who I think was hurt. Bills were down 21-14, he had 2 4th-quarter TD passes to tie the game 21-21 & 28-28, Dolphins won 35-28. I saw potential!

Sometimes my excellent takes just don’t work out, it happens. :( 

Edited by Rico
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Collins was terrible in 1997 and made it clear that he was a bust.

Yup, me too. Definitely my worst take. Regardless of his coaching chops/record, I didn’t realize how much of a buffon he was and how lazy he had gotten.

I thought Rex was the perfect fit because he rode his Jets defense to an AFC title game, without great QB play. We didn’t have our QB yet, and I thought a defensive mastermind could win games while we continued to search for our QB. I also didn’t realize he had gotten so lazy. The NY media often mentioned this, but I never take them particularly seriously. 

I had mixed feelings about the Rex hire. On one hand, I knew the Jets' GM was lousy, so I thought a change of scenery might be good, and I was happy to have a HC who had success against Bellchick, even with a crummy QB. On the other hand, I was concerned that he'd dismantle Schwartz's outstanding 4-3 defense and install his own 3-4, which we didn't have the personnel for. When he announced that Schwartz was leaving, my fear came true.

• Awesome! (+1) 1