2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Talk Official Thread

Just now, SCBills said:

Doesn’t seem that rare for the position when two of the current best and one of the all time great were taken later than where we currently are in the Draft.  

Okay...you got me there.  As I was typing my comment, I did think of that putting a damper on my point. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

TEs take years to develop and he’s similar to Knox who is already in his 3rd year of the system, and he’s way more athletic than Jordan.  The kid won’t play here. What they need is an in line TE like ertz.

If the Bills do trade for Ertz, what will it cost?  

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

What did you think of the Basham pick?

Not a big Basham fan.......but not bad value in round 2.     Seemed to me that round 2 was always going to be the round in this draft where it was going to be hardest to get the kind of value you expect.    I'm not surprised that he might have been the only player on the Bills board that would have prevented them from trading back.    He's not real toolsy but he brings energy and an edge......something they seemed to lack without Lorax.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been stuck at work all day, and all I have to say is this: BEANE... DON'T TRADE AWAY 4TH ROUND PICKS!!!

Missed on every 1 Tech DT worth their salt... Bare cupboards, everywhere you look...

At this point, Marquez Stevenson with our 2nd 5th Rounder would be good, but I'm disappointed that all the good DT 1-Techs have been taken...

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

To everyone rolling their eyes at me... the Bills have a slow offense. Slow backfield and no speed at WR. McKenzie isn't fast; he's somewhat quick. What is your solution???

This need seems so obvious and makes such a huge difference.

I know that you're basing a lot of this off of what Beane said (i.e. that we need to get faster), but if we compare our "speed" to the Bucs offensive "speed", it's basically the exact same.

Fournette - 4.51 | Breida - 4.38

Jones - 4.65 | Moss/Singletary - 4.65/4.66

Evans - 4.53 | G. Davis - 4.54

Godwin - 4.42 | Sanders - 4.41

Brown - 4.47 | Diggs - 4.46

Miller - 4.36 | Beasley - 4.49 - this one being the only real difference with Miller doing nothing in the Super Bowl anyways.

Speed-wise, Allen and Brady aren't in the same league, so we'll call the entire thing a push. 

So based on the numbers alone - if the Bills have a slow offense, so do the Super Bowl champs who beat Chiefs.  I tend to disagree with the sentiment that we even have a slow offense - as many others have pointed out given the yards, touchdowns, etc. from last year.  Add in Breida and we have added quite a bit of speed where we didn't have any last year.

In addition, the addition of a speedy rookie isn't going to change the entire offense.  John Ross ran a 4.22 40 yard dash and has 700 yards in his entire career.  Even someone like Ruggs last year didn't own the league (yes, I know he was hurt).  Everyone wants a Tyreek Hill, I get it - but not every speed option is going to be one - he's a rare find - just like Kittle, just like Kelce - most guys drafted to fill those roles will fail with maybe 1 in 50 actually becoming a weapon.

At this point, Beane is banking on our draftees becoming nasty DL/DE prospects so that on passing downs we have 4 guys on the line that can all get after the QB with great efficiency.  For example, 3rd and long, rather than having Hughes, Oliver, Butler and Addison you now have Hughes, Rousseau, Basham and Addison - all of whom are noted pass rushers, with Rousseau and Basham able to rush from either the interior or the exterior.  Obviously add in Epenesa as I hope to see him progress as well.  This is just one way to combat speed - speed can't win if the QB can't get them the ball or if they don't have time to finish routes, etc. 

Again - totally get where you're coming from, and obviously everyone would love to see some speedy additions (speed is entertaining after all) but I don't think that it's anything to get gravely concerned over at this point.  Just my 2 cents. 

Just now, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Been stuck at work all day, and all I have to say is this: BEANE... DON'T TRADE AWAY 4TH ROUND PICKS!!!

Missed on every 1 Tech DT worth their salt... Bare cupboards, everywhere you look...

At this point, Marquez Stevenson with our 2nd 5th Rounder would be good, but I'm disappointed that all the good DT 1-Techs have been taken...

well if he didn’t trade a 4th we wouldn’t have Diggs I’ll take him over a 2 down run stuffer

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Our team is stacked. We are Super Bowl ready now. Why are we worrying about BPA in the 3rd round or later for one player? We took an OT in round 3. Is he really gonna be that much better for us than a TE?

So... Brevin Jordan, a developmental day 3 TE prospect, was going to push us over the edge for a Super Bowl? That is some weird justification.

• Thank you (+1) 1