RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

On 5/5/2021 at 9:16 AM, Boxcar said:

Idk, I appreciate Big Spence doing this but that's a very large and heavy man. Thankfully, his form was perfect but this very easily could have gone wrong. I'd rather not see this become a trend.

On a different note, I'm hoping that Brown can adequately play guard. My dream scenario for this season is that he takes over as starter from whoever is doing worse between Ford and Mongo. I guess super dream is that him and Doyle can supplant both.

Dude, Brown is indeed "Big Spence" at 6'8"

"Low man wins" for leverage

Know any successful 6'8" guards in the league?

On 5/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, NewEra said:

He played guard one season and he was awful.

This. 

Also, the Erik Pears experiment in which a 6'8" adequate NFL RT was shoved inside to guard and made both himself and a damned fine NFL center (Eric Wood) look bad (OK, blocking scheme had something to do with it but still, who you play next to matters). 

Next season, Pears went back to playing RT for the 49ers where he played 100% of the snaps in all 16 games, and Wood went to the pro bowl at C

This notion that you can take any capable NFL tackle and pop them inside to guard for good results has got to be put out of its misery

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, Brown is indeed "Big Spence" at 6'8"

"Low man wins" for leverage

Know any successful 6'8" guards in the league?

This. 

Also, the Erik Pears experiment in which a 6'8" adequate NFL RT was shoved inside to guard and made both himself and a damned fine NFL center (Eric Wood) look bad (OK, blocking scheme had something to do with it but still, who you play next to matters). 

Next season, Pears went back to playing RT for the 49ers where he played 100% of the snaps in all 16 games, and Wood went to the pro bowl at C

This notion that you can take any capable NFL tackle and pop them inside to guard for good results has got to be put out of its misery

More of a vain and unrealistic pipe dream than anything resembling an expectation.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Basically, what I hear is that you wish the Bills had upgraded the interior of the OL by signing Joe Thuney and drafting Creed Humphrey.

Me too.

I would have been stoked with Zeitler or Feiler, didn't need to be Thuney. But yeah, I dunno. My faith is still unbroken, but I am concerned.

19 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Ima break this down......there has NEVER been a quality guard over 6 foot 8. EVER. 

Yeah Brown probably isn't a guard.........but his athleticism is elite enough that I don't think it can be dismissed entirely.

Kevin Gogan was a great, ultra-violent guard and he was 6' 7"............ it's not entirely out of the question that Brown could play inside but his ceiling as a tackle is higher than either of the Bills starters so let's hope he ends up there.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Ima break this down......there has NEVER been a quality guard over 6 foot 8. EVER. 

And no QB with a completion rate under 60% has ever been a success or improved...

I'll wait and see what happens IRL.

:beer:

On 5/7/2021 at 11:33 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear ya.  I would have liked us to rebuild the interior of the OL completely myself.

Me too. I'd give Ford an opportunity, but from center->right I'd do a make over.

JF as the perfect backup IOL.

• Like (+1) 1