RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

18 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Anderson says he can play all 3 interior positions too. 

Yeah, I think he's Feliciano II.   Who knows, maybe better.   

Was it Brown or Doyle who said he can play guard?

Who knows how it's all going to shake out, but it's kind of amazing that the Bills have a bunch of guys on the offensive line who can play three or four positions, and they look like they're planning on having guys play all over on the defensive line, too.  It's position flexibility taken to a new level.   It's pretty impressive. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Brown could become Jason Peters.  He was a project that became elite.  His size and athletic ability is rare.  Protect Allen.  Seems like he quickly removes Bobby Hart from any chance at the 53.  

• Like (+1) 1

They talked about Brown today on OBL with Greg Cosell, who was quite high on him.  Once again they talked about him winning the training camp battle and kicking Williams inside.  I guess at the end of the day, the o line coaches will put the best 5 linemen out there this season.  If they don't feel Williams can measure up at guard, we obviously won't see him there.

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They talked about Brown today on OBL with Greg Cosell, who was quite high on him.  Once again they talked about him winning the training camp battle and kicking Williams inside.  I guess at the end of the day, the o line coaches will put the best 5 linemen out there this season.  If they don't feel Williams can measure up at guard, we obviously won't see him there.

If Brown is that good, he'll still either be the swing OT or moved to OG, like the Ravens did with Jonathan Ogden when he was a rookie.  Williams is only good at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, Buffarukus said:

i agree.

i think this is the plan. imagine a jump ball in the redzone to this guy. throw him in there while he develops it will get him good reps and be a pretty unique tool to use in situations.

Imagine it happening in a Superbowl?

We could call it - a Bill-y Special !!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, Shaw66 said:

I think they value him because he is the second best, if not best, center on the team.  I have thought for months that Morse's job may be at risk.  Big contract, I know, McDermott is going to play the best line.   

Mostly what's going on is that there is going to be serious competition all across the line.  Dawkins is probably the only guy who's job is secure.  

I really thought that McDermott & Beane were going to draft Creed Humphreys at 61 to be Morse's replacements.

I don’t know about the rest of you but it makes me feel great that we’re talking about a player that even though he has so much promise he gets to sit behind veterans for a year and come along slowly the swing tackle position is perfect for this player this year

42 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I really thought that McDermott & Beane were going to draft Creed Humphreys at 61 to be Morse's replacements.

They may have still drafted somebody and Jack Anderson

On 5/1/2021 at 12:35 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Man that sr bowl coverage is really the best tape that gets out their to the general public.  I spent literally hours on Nageys twitter after the bowl.  The 1 on 1, and drills, and all the other stuff they do gives you a different view and appreciation of how good these guys are.  Helpful camera angles.  Scouting guys on the line is so freaking hard with the standard gameday camera angle. Love this stuff.

Wish his arms were longer, and he does have a narrow frame.  His fast feet are really going to keep him from getting in a bad position he cant dig himself out of.  Impressive stuff.  Thanks for the post

Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

On the flip side, I wish there were videos breaking down all the times a player (even the great ones) got beat or made mistakes, just to kind of see where their weaknesses are, or if there's a certain type of player they struggle against. Not to show how bad they are, just to get an idea of how raw they are or how long their development might be.

Anyway, along with Anderson in the 7th, this is the pick I'm following the most from now on :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, Boxcar said:

This guy has become a true man of the people in record time.

My god, how weird is it to see guys so happy to be drafted by the Bills? This kinda stuff goes beyond general excitement about being drafted.

And that's why I think it's silly when fans criticize the jumping through tables or the "BillsMafia" name in general...

They've raised the profile for the team in a positive way just as much as the recent on-field play has. Yes, a lot of people think we're crazy, but they also know of the Bills now, know the fans are diehard supporters, think of the fun people have instead of "it's just a cold, washed up town," etc.

The fact people are excited to come here, so much so that they're willing to dive onto a folding table & risk injury, just shows how the image has improved dramatically. 

No more "depressing & cold" and way more "high energy & excitement!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

And that's why I think it's silly when fans criticize the jumping through tables or the "BillsMafia" name in general...

They've raised the profile for the team in a positive way just as much as the recent on-field play has. Yes, a lot of people think we're crazy, but they also know of the Bills now, know the fans are diehard supporters, think of the fun people have instead of "it's just a cold, washed up town," etc.

The fact people are excited to come here, so much so that they're willing to dive onto a folding table & risk injury, just shows how the image has improved dramatically. 

No more "depressing & cold" and way more "high energy & excitement!"

Idk, I appreciate Big Spence doing this but that's a very large and heavy man. Thankfully, his form was perfect but this very easily could have gone wrong. I'd rather not see this become a trend.

On a different note, I'm hoping that Brown can adequately play guard. My dream scenario for this season is that he takes over as starter from whoever is doing worse between Ford and Mongo. I guess super dream is that him and Doyle can supplant both.

7 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Idk, I appreciate Big Spence doing this but that's a very large and heavy man. Thankfully, his form was perfect but this very easily could have gone wrong.

So you're saying next time, you'd prefer that Spence throw a smaller man through a table?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Idk, I appreciate Big Spence doing this but that's a very large and heavy man. Thankfully, his form was perfect but this very easily could have gone wrong. I'd rather not see this become a trend.

On a different note, I'm hoping that Brown can adequately play guard. My dream scenario for this season is that he takes over as starter from whoever is doing worse between Ford and Mongo. I guess super dream is that him and Doyle can supplant both.

That would be nice, but Beane mentioned in a press conference that he and Doyle are better-suited to play OT due to their height and will focus on the T positions.

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, jkeerie said:

Williams played a lot at guard.  They were talking about that today at OBL.  Tasker mentioned he could easily kick inside.

He played guard one season and he was awful.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He played guard one season and he was awful.

I'm just passing on what has been discussed twice now on OBL by folks that know a lot more about football than I do.  I'm sure the Bills coaches would not put Williams in a position where he could not be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic