RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills re-signed Williams and Feliciano (who missed half of the season and played the other half hurt), meaning those 2 positions, along with LT at Dawkins, were set.  They retained Morse and adjusted his contract meaning he's set at C.  And they are going to keep/develop Ford at LG exclusively after spending a high 2nd on him 2 drafts ago.  I didn't think they were going to spend high picks on OL anyway, and it seems to me they had Rousseau targeted from the beginning.

Right.   The Bills are satisfied with what they have.  They want to get better, but they didn't think they had critical, immediate needs.  

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.   The Bills are satisfied with what they have.  They want to get better, but they didn't think they had critical, immediate needs.  

Would you have wanted them to use pick 30 to get an OG or OC?  Move up for one?  Because they certainly weren't going to use a 1st or 2nd on an OT. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Would you have wanted them to use pick 30 to get an OG or OC?  Move up for one?  Because they certainly weren't going to use a 1st or 2nd on an OT. 

I trust McBeane.  Their judgment is, every year, to add the best talent they can.  They don't want to go into the draft with any pressing need, and this draft is a prime example.  They saw no reason to chase a guard or a center, and that's good enough for me.  

These guys are drafting exactly like they said they would.  Build a talented team, then add talent in the draft every year.  This was the first draft where they did that in spades.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Got very dusty here near the end

When he was on the phone all I could think was Pegs on the other end asking "How's the weather?" lol 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/1/2021 at 12:04 PM, Teddy KGB said:

you ever seen the bills try to run on 3rd and 1 ? 

Yeah, but this isn’t a contributor for another 2 years, barring injury or real surprise move.

18 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills re-signed Williams and Feliciano (who missed half of the season and played the other half hurt), meaning those 2 positions, along with LT at Dawkins, were set.  They retained Morse and adjusted his contract meaning he's set at C.  And they are going to keep/develop Ford at LG exclusively after spending a high 2nd on him 2 drafts ago.  I didn't think they were going to spend high picks on OL anyway, and it seems to me they had Rousseau targeted from the beginning.

Ford is the lynch pin to us elevating our OL from good to great (IMO).  

He was regarded as a cant miss Guard prospect going into the draft.   

A full offseason, healthy, starting the season at Guard and let’s hope he’s the answer.  

Dawkins, Williams and Morse are all above average at the position, but our Guard play really got exposed in the Playoffs with our inability to run and allowing pressure up the middle.  

Feliciano is ok, and we can overcome meh play at one guard spot, but not both, if we want this line to make a jump to the next level.   

Scheme and continuity will help as well, but Ford playing to his promise would be huge.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I've been watching the FCS championship playoffs on ESPN today and they discussed the 5 players drafted from the conference this year.  The analyst thinks the Bills got a steal in Spencer Brown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Anything can happen at any time in the NFL and this guy could end up on the field just remember that

Yeah, this is always true.  I hope he makes it hard to keep him off the field and maybe allows for one of the current tackles to be moved.  He’s obviously got the physical talents to be great, the question becomes, will it translate?

19 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I've been watching the FCS championship playoffs on ESPN today and they discussed the 5 players drafted from the conference this year.  The analyst thinks the Bills got a steal in Spencer Brown.

Charles Davis has great things to say about him too. He was on ONeBillsDrive today. Starts about 13 minutes in.  Before Brown was drafted by the Bills, he predicted he would start at least 10 games this season.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/charles-davis-breaking-down-the-2021-bills-draft-class

56 minutes ago, TPS said:

Charles Davis has great things to say about him too. He was on ONeBillsDrive today. Starts about 13 minutes in.  Before Brown was drafted by the Bills, he predicted he would start at least 10 games this season.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/charles-davis-breaking-down-the-2021-bills-draft-class

I saw that as well.  The fact that 5 Oline coaches separately were polled by him and mentioned Brown as the one guy they'd love to coach spoke volumes.  If Brown pushes for a starting job in camp, Williams could move inside to guard, then Feliciano could either move to the left or to center.  I think we are going to have a strong o line this year.  That could mean a more productive running game, as well as perhaps some tackle eligibles with Brown since he played TE.

13 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I saw that as well.  The fact that 5 Oline coaches separately were polled by him and mentioned Brown as the one guy they'd love to coach spoke volumes.  If Brown pushes for a starting job in camp, Williams could move inside to guard, then Feliciano could either move to the left or to center.  I think we are going to have a strong o line this year.  That could mean a more productive running game, as well as perhaps some tackle eligibles with Brown since he played TE.

Williams is not a guard.  He'll be given the year to sit and learn.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, Boxcar said:

The only quibble I have with this offseason is the contract to Feliciano. Is he a starter, is he not? Objective data shows he's not great and better guards were signing for slightly more. 

I think they value him because he is the second best, if not best, center on the team.  I have thought for months that Morse's job may be at risk.  Big contract, I know, McDermott is going to play the best line.   

Mostly what's going on is that there is going to be serious competition all across the line.  Dawkins is probably the only guy who's job is secure.  

• Agree 2

Just now, jkeerie said:

Williams played a lot at guard.  They were talking about that today at OBL.  Tasker mentioned he could easily kick inside.

Like I said, there's going to be a lot of competition.  You don't see a whole lot of rookies starting on offensive lines, especially guys drafted outside the first couple of rounds, but Brown seems to be an unusual guy so, who knows. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Williams played a lot at guard.  They were talking about that today at OBL.  Tasker mentioned he could easily kick inside.

He has played Guard but thats cause he struggled at RT when he returned from his injury so the coaches thought he would have to move inside. We brought him in started him out at Guard before we realized he was out of his natural position. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think they value him because he is the second best, if not best, center on the team.  I have thought for months that Morse's job may be at risk.  Big contract, I know, McDermott is going to play the best line.   

Mostly what's going on is that there is going to be serious competition all across the line.  Dawkins is probably the only guy who's job is secure.  

Anderson says he can play all 3 interior positions too.