RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

17 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Great call.

Oh my, can you imagine the pure size and space-eating on that O-Line?

Dion Dawkins - Cody Ford - Jon Feliciano - Darryl Williams - Spencer Brown

Massive wide bodies from 1-5. I'm pretty sure this would be the #1 heaviest, largest, longest Offensive Line in the NFL. Brandon Beane is building this perfectly around Josh: Massive, enormous Guards and Tackles that block out the sun.

Could this be the optimal O-Line late in the season? I think so

This kid is only 311 lbs at 6' 8".  And that's after he bulked up in college (small school).

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I'm not so sure about that.  I mean, the game's always evolving, so it's hard to say what will happen.   But the pro game is following the college game, particularly when it comes to wide open, spread offensive play.   What the college guys figured out is that with speed and quick decision making they can gain an advantage on the defense.   And that style means that your offensive line doesn't have to pass protect for very long, and no matter how quick your defense is, if the QB is getting the ball out, you aren't going to get to him in time.  

That's why, for example, the Bills weren't afraid to take two edge guys.  As Huck or someone said, the 340-pound nose tackle is a little less valuable than he used to be.   On passing downs, and there are a lot more passing downs than there used to be, it makes some sense to envision Hughes, Oliver, Rousseau and Basham as the defensive line - four guys who all can play defensive end or 3-tech d tackle, because you want their speed and quickness. 

We're seeing safeties playing linebacker.  It's as though coaches are trying to get as many skill position players on the field as possible, and that means the big uglies are becoming dinosaurs to some extent.   It may be why the Bills were interested in Brown - he's an athlete.  It's also why I think drafting offensive linemen in the first couple of rounds is sort of out of favor.  Yeah, you need your left tackle and all that, but NFL offensive linemen have such long incubation periods that many of the good ones have played out their rookie contracts before they become good.   That's why we see Beane scrounging the waiver wire and free agency for O linemen.  

Obviously, the o line is still important.   All I'm saying is that it isn't so clear that all the old adages continue to be the absolute rules that they used to be.  

I hear what you’re getting at, but we all saw what an O line that can’t hold up looks like in 2018 first hand, the offense couldn’t execute plays consistently enough to be a threat, and to a lesser degree it happened in 2019, and defenses kicked our butts to often, even this past season we saw break downs in O & D line play and it lost games for us, the lines will always need to hold up, I can’t think of a scenario where having a bunch of 3rd stringers as your starting O or D  line is a winning option.  The adage holds true. 

Josh Allen is the most important player on this team, hands down. If one of Dawkins or Williams were to go down, the next person up would be Bobby Hart, which none of us should want. We have to protect JA at all costs, even if it means drafting a backup tackle in the 3rd. 

I like the pick 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I hear what you’re getting at, but we all saw what an O line that can’t hold up looks like in 2018 first hand, the offense couldn’t execute plays consistently enough to be a threat, and to a lesser degree it happened in 2019, and defenses kicked our butts to often, even this past season we saw break downs in O & D line play and it lost games for us, the lines will always need to hold up, I can’t think of a scenario where having a bunch of 3rd stringers as your starting O or D  line is a winning option.  The adage holds true. 

Well, it's an endless debate, but here's what I think having watched the Bills this off-season:   The offensive line protected Allen pretty well, it didn't run block very well at all, and the running backs struggled.   What did Beane do?   He stood pat.  Acquired one probably mediocre running back, no linemen.  He drafted one project offensive lineman, no impact running back.   

What does that tell me?   It's now obvious that the Bills expect they're going to have success running the ball with what they have.  That McDermott and Beane think they can succeed without more talent.  In particular, it means that they think offensive line play is about teamwork, not talent. 

3 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Josh Allen is the most important player on this team, hands down. If one of Dawkins or Williams were to go down, the next person up would be Bobby Hart, which none of us should want. We have to protect JA at all costs, even if it means drafting a backup tackle in the 3rd. 

I like the pick 

Not Bates?

21 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

At OT, Length is the most important factor, for setting the proper Width of the Pocket and being able to hinge-push edge guys by. His weight is not as important. His crazy length (35" arms at 6"8") will force the edge guy to go past him. He fits a Passing Offense.

The scouting is that he gets beat with power because of his low weight/high center of gravity.  Also beaten by speed.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, it's an endless debate, but here's what I think having watched the Bills this off-season:   The offensive line protected Allen pretty well, it didn't run block very well at all, and the running backs struggled.   What did Beane do?   He stood pat.  Acquired one probably mediocre running back, no linemen.  He drafted one project offensive lineman, no impact running back.   

What does that tell me?   It's now obvious that the Bills expect they're going to have success running the ball with what they have.  That McDermott and Beane think they can succeed without more talent.  In particular, it means that they think offensive line play is about teamwork, not talent. 

It also tells me that our preferred O line never played together during the season because of injuries, and that they “may” all be healthy this upcoming season, and with additional emphasis/pressure applied to those in charge of the run game scheming by Beane during his season ending PC tells me that is the reason for keeping the band together, I’m not of the school that we need to be a run first team, that would be silly and a big step backwards, we just need an effective run game, and apparently Beane feels we have the horses for that in stable as it were. The D on the other hand is needing help..., 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Some real awkward exchanges there:

First dude (as an afterthought before he hands phone over) - "Hey man- you're healthy right? No issues I assume"  🙄

Pegs: "How's the weather there?" 🙄

2 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

I like the pick 

Then you sign a free agent OT not a project rookie OT. 

4 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

At OT, Length is the most important factor, for setting the proper Width of the Pocket and being able to hinge-push edge guys by. His weight is not as important. His crazy length (35" arms at 6"8") will force the edge guy to go past him. He fits a Passing Offense.

I’m 6’ 2”, which is relatively tall and my arms are 35”. Then again, my knuckles do drag on the ground. 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The leaps in logic here are amazing. You go from "the Bills didn't sign or draft what I consider to be a good RB, and drafted an O-Lineman who I'm going to charitably project as a non-factor" to "so basically, Beane doesn't think that talent in the O-Line is important at all"

10/10

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

The leaps in logic here are amazing. You go from "the Bills didn't sign or draft what I consider to be a good RB, and drafted an O-Lineman who I'm going to charitably project as a non-factor" to "so basically, Beane doesn't think that talent in the O-Line is important at all"

10/10

Fair enough, that's a take on what I said.  But I think you missed the point.  The point was that McBeane don't think the Bills have holes that need filling.  Sure, they always want more talent, and they went and got it.  But there was no sense of urgency.  They didn't chase after anyone, not a running back, not an offensive line solution, not a corner.  Nothing a lot of fans thought was essential. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Fair enough, that's a take on what I said.  But I think you missed the point.  The point was that McBeane don't think the Bills have holes that need filling.  Sure, they always want more talent, and they went and got it.  But there was no sense of urgency.  They didn't chase after anyone, not a running back, not an offensive line solution, not a corner.  Nothing a lot of fans thought was essential. 

There are a lot of options remaining in FA. If the Bills don't do anything there, then complaining is warranted.

Also, just because fans think something is essential (like an new RB, TE) doesn't mean it actually is. The only quibble I have with this offseason is the contract to Feliciano. Is he a starter, is he not? Objective data shows he's not great and better guards were signing for slightly more. Other than that, this team really doesn't need massive improvement. I'm glad they went with guys like Brown and Doyle over some higher floor/lower ceiling guys. When you're in the position the Bills are in, you can afford to take potential studs who are pretty raw.

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills re-signed Williams and Feliciano (who missed half of the season and played the other half hurt), meaning those 2 positions, along with LT at Dawkins, were set.  They retained Morse and adjusted his contract meaning he's set at C.  And they are going to keep/develop Ford at LG exclusively after spending a high 2nd on him 2 drafts ago.  I didn't think they were going to spend high picks on OL anyway, and it seems to me they had Rousseau targeted from the beginning.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1