RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is SO Midwest that the party is in their garage.... 😆

Well most houses in the country have 8 foot  ceilings and the garage has a ten foot ceiling and more space with the cars out of it. He most diff has to duct when walking into the house and garage through the doors.

I don't know about you yolo but at 6 foot tall I never had to duct but I did shrink a lot with age

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

On the "we should have drafted a high DB" topic:

Micah Hyde - 5th round

Jordan Poyer - 7th round

Taron Johnson - 4th round

Levi Wallace - undrafted

Dane Jackson - 7th round

We don’t know about Dane Jackson yet.  But the counterpoint to that is these are solid guys who can play, and  Poyer and Hyde in particular are a duo greater than the sum of the parts.  

The argument is we need another elite talent at DB

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We don’t know about Dane Jackson yet.  But the counterpoint to that is these are solid guys who can play, and  Poyer and Hyde in particular are a duo greater than the sum of the parts.  

The argument is we need another elite talent at DB

That argument is flawed because McDermott’s scheme does not require a top end CB2 and other than White the DBs on our team that figure to be major contributors this year were all taken 4th round or later. 

We don’t know on Jackson (similarly to how we don’t know on any draft pick), but McBeane seem high on him. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

That argument is flawed because McDermott’s scheme does not require a top end CB2 and other than White the DBs on our team that figure to be major contributors this year were all taken 4th round or later. 

We don’t know on Jackson (similarly to how we don’t know on any draft pick), but McBeane seem high on him. 

McDermott may need to consider what changes are necessary to his scheme in order to defeat the Chiefs, Bucs etc and win an AFCCG and a Superbowl

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Holy smokes this is the best draft of my lifetime so far.  The sanity of it, Beane’s explanations for the picks, I’m blown away.  This is the approach some of us have been urging them to take for DECADES.

Hard to understand how multiple regimes eschewed being have a comprehensive plan that prioritized throwing the ball and rushing the passer. Looks like that's finally in the rear view mirror now.

Beane said this draft was about the future, which is what is should be when you've ascended to being one of the better teams.  All those years, particularly from 2006-2016 it was about getting guys who could play now and likely were lesser talented but more pro ready.  Also helps them get cheaper when JAs contract comes due.  Spending 6-10M on vet DEs has to be curtailed along with some other positions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like this pick.  In the playoffs, the Bills oline had issues.  It'll take some time but Brown could be RT and kick Williams inside to guard.  Possibly Feliciano to C.

Feliciano's contract is really 3 one year deals with a dead cap $1.5 M after 2021.  Even Williams might be gone after 2022 with a $1.8 M dead cap.

Definitely a path for Brown pending on his development.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott may need to consider what changes are necessary to his scheme in order to defeat the Chiefs, Bucs etc and win an AFCCG and a Superbowl

Yeah get to QB with 4 fresh defensive linemen (Giants vs Brady, Bucs vs Mahomes). 

Secondary:

White (1) and no other picks in rounds 1-3

D-Line:

Hughes, Lotulelei, Butler, Oliver, Rosseau (1);

Epenesa, Basham (2); and

Phillips (3)

I would assume there’s a chance Mitch Morse is gone after this year. $11M cap hit next year, $8M saved if let go.

If Spencer Brown pans out, he Moves in at RT, Daryl Williams moves to RG, Feliciano to C?

37 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I would assume there’s a chance Mitch Morse is gone after this year. $11M cap hit next year, $8M saved if let go.

If Spencer Brown pans out, he Moves in at RT, Daryl Williams moves to RG, Feliciano to C?

No, Williams is a RT.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don’t like how he’s sitting before jumping.  It implies slothfulness and you’re rarely ever going to be have seating on a football field.  Black-shirted Special Ops officials—yes, occasionally.   Lay-Zee-Boy recliners, not happening.  

Let’s hope this is a one off. 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

The Bills are bracing themselves for the Josh Allen contract extension.

The theme of this draft: Target the Premium Positions early and often

DE

DE

OT

They're looking for guys at the premium positions who will be impact players 3 years down the line when Josh is eating up salary cap space on a huge deal.

Smart strategy.

There are always going to be needs. Only the bills can’t afford a qb and other players? Kc gave Mahomes the most massive contract and still adds players not future players. Tired of the constant - when josh gets his contract. 

• Like (+1) 2