RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. I've read for three rounds running now how Beane is a fool, first for passing on Melifonwu in the 1st round, then for passing on him again in the 2nd round, then for passing on him again in the 3rd. Lo and behold, he didn't go until the late compensatory section of the 3rd round.

People's refusal to back down from their draft crushes is weird sometimes.

Well Beane's been a fool since he drafted the wrong Josh. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

In reading about this guy's intensity, dedication, and loyalty, and learning of his absolutely insane athletic ability and physical prowess and watching clips of him in action....

I am quickly going from "Who? What? Why?!?!" to "this is my favorite pick of the draft".

This dude is an absolute unit, and I predict that it will not be long at all before Bills fans are extremely thankful that he's on our team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was just reading Dane Brugler's scouting report on Brown, and I wanted you all to know that he says Brown has a "touch of insanity in his blocking".

I like that.

I like that too, although there's a fine line between playing with a touch of insanity and playing with a level of insanity that will get you injured in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like that too, although there's a fine line between playing with a touch of insanity and playing with a level of insanity that will get you injured in the league.

True, and then there's Richie Incognito levels of insanity, which is a whole other matter. 😳

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Josh and Spencer are some country boys and you know they will throw the ball around some in practice.

If Spencer can catch Josh's passes you know they will put in plays for him.

My understanding is in training camp, the Bills systematically test off-position skills with offensive players - they have the OLmen catch passes, they have the RBs and WR's throw passes.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is in training camp, the Bills systematically test off-position skills with offensive players - they have the OLmen catch passes, they have the RBs and WR's throw passes.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

True, and then there's Richie Incognito levels of insanity, which is a whole other matter. 😳

Yeah that went beyond "touch"

Still remember Mike Martz ripping his headset off and screaming "what the ***** is wrong with that *****?" when Richie got called for PF's on back to back plays.  And that's years before the Daddy's head incident.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was just reading Dane Brugler's scouting report on Brown, and I wanted you all to know that he says Brown has a "touch of insanity in his blocking".

I like that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2931570-spencer-brown-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-buffalo-bills-ot

He 'brings his hard hat' and has a 'lunchpail mentality'.😆

He arrived on campus a 225 lb TE

He's like a wild stallion with 'dancing bear' moves.😂

Benches 500lbs and can deadlift a small house.😜 

I like this guy, 6'8" 311 and totally fit. Agile, nimble, yet incredibly powerful; he has an incredible frame and athletic talent to build on.

Edited by Turk71
  • Haha (+1) 1

Chad Forbes called him the Josh Allen of tackles, and he wasn't kidding. Quite a few parallels:

- Grew up on a farm.

- Played multiple sports in high school

- Received only one college offer

- Rare, eye popping athleticism

- Giant like a mountain

Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just a comment on the Spencer Brown v Daryl Williams and his contract.

Williams contract is essentially a 2 year deal.  In 2023 (his last year) he has a $1.8M Dead Cap hit (actually has only a $3.6M in 2022).

His leftover contract for the 2023 year is $7M.  If healthy he is an easy trade at 31 years of age.

Not saying that is how it will pan out but it is worth considering.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Looking to set up future starters on rookie deals at premium positions for when 17 gets paid.  Or maybe we plan on turning him into a tight end.  Who could cover a guy that size?

Yep,  after QB the most expensive players in football are top pass rushers and LT's.     Good, sound decision making.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I got to say, if he could run routes and catch, I don't know how you cover him.

But if he could run routes and catch, that would probably have occurred to his coaches in college

Ahhhhh the ol reverse Jason Peters!

I like our draft so far. Similar to years past we may be sacrificing some production NOW for growth and long term sustainability. 
They seem to really enjoy project players who have ridiculously high potential. We haven’t seen them groom many of these yet but some of these guys have really elite athletic traits. 

• Like (+1) 2