RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Here’s my way of accepting this: 

Would I trade a late first and two low seconds for an elite pass rusher? In a heart beat. We have 3 chances for one of these guys to become that, and maybe all three become something....

^ that logic helps a whole lot. 

Well, yeah, and I like it, but it presents problems starting a couple of years from now.   Ideally, you keep all your first and second round picks, extending them after their rookie deals.   That's tough to do when you have three edge guys plus Oliver to consider.  You can't afford to extend all of them.   Doesn't seem like any of them can be your 1-tech guy, you can't have three big-contract edge rushers, you can't have two big contract 3-techs.   

You deal with it, of course, by dealing one or two of them before their rookie deals are done.   Not a perfect solution, it's manageable.  

Beane is just steadfastly BPA, and Basham was the BPA.   McDermott doesn't mind having too many good players.  

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t think he’s been anywhere near what he was supposed to be. I’m not saying he’s terrible but he’s been very underwhelming IMO. The guy was taken at the top of a draft and is frequently invisible 

Thats fair. Considering the monster he was in Houston and what we've seen, I'm a little disappointed as well. He's a good player but just hasn't lived up to his draft placement. Still plenty of time to show out and be the beast we expected.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have issues with the pick ... but Basham was arguably the best player on the board regardless of position. He was my guess for who the bills would pick  at 30.

Agreed...I was thinking Basham or Tryon.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cutting Hughes makes no sense. Still a good pass rusher worth his cost. Addison? Well I think it comes down to training camp. If Epenesa or anyone else shows they're ready I think they make the move. 

Exactly, final roster decisions are not made today.  A lot can happen between now and August.

45 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I actually like it. Solid pick

Can never have enough pass rushers.

Could also line him up all over 

That is how the Giants won all their super bowls....and so did Tampa last year.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

If this is true, you can't have issues with the pick for value reasons alone. Big Baller Beane saw an issue and is making damn sure he fixes it. Love it. 

I just think they need more speed on the outside in a big, big way. And another CB who projects better than Levi. As I said elsewhere, they have have 5 first-round d-line picks (and now 2 second rounders). It’s a bit much in a league where cbs are the most important players in terms of the metrics.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Thats fair. Considering the monster he was in Houston and what we've seen, I'm a little disappointed as well. He's a good player but just hasn't lived up to his draft placement. Still plenty of time to show out and be the beast we expected.

He's very dependent on who's lining up next to him. In 2019, with Star, Oliver really came on strong in the 2nd half of the season. Looked like a superstar in the making, let's hope Star helps again this season.

• Like (+1) 1

If you need to comfort yourself about back-to-back edge rushers, here's what I suggest:

Go watch the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl back to back.

Then crack a beer, smile, and get excited to see Groot and Boogie destroy Mahomes :) 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

...but if you have a stout interior that can counter the run, you can commit to just a four-man rush with the back 7 focused on coverage, which forces QBs to hold the ball longer which leads to sacks from your edge rushers.

It's complimentary rather than this or that.

im not saying ignore the run completely but we are building a team to score and create turnovers - not to ground and pound on either side. 

you can’t be elite at everything and where we want to stake our identity is both obvious and common sense given the state of the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

If you need to comfort yourself about back-to-back edge rushers, here's what I suggest:

Go watch the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl back to back.

Then crack a beer, smile, and get excited to see Groot and Boogie destroy Mahomes :) 

This is the way...😎

• Like (+1) 1