RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

2 hours ago, DJB said:

So far he hasn't impressed as much as I'd hoped. 

I was firmly on the JOK or Asante Samuel train instead. 

Both those guys have looked REALLY good so far in the pre season. 

I still have hope Boogie can get it going. 

Weren’t they both drafted already?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Hughes & AJ start with Rousseau, Addison, Obada as the main rotation.  Darryl Johnson active for specials and plays a few snaps.  

Wouldn’t be surprised if Basham is inactive gamedays until/if he starts making more splash plays in practice, but the Bears game was a good indicator that he’s got the ability.  Likely as an interior rusher who can flip outside on occasion. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he meant with small trade-ups. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Hughes & AJ start with Rousseau, Addison, Obada as the main rotation.  Darryl Johnson active for specials and plays a few snaps.  

Wouldn’t be surprised if Basham is inactive gamedays until/if he starts making more splash plays in practice, but the Bears game was a good indicator that he’s got the ability.  Likely as an interior rusher who can flip outside on occasion. 

I think he will find PT through ST initially.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Baldy seems to think he's coming along ok...

Love Baldy's stuff. As for Basham week 2 was a definite uptick on week 1. that said the Bears line is awful. 

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yep. I think eventually he is the inside / outside guy they want to get with Quinton Jefferson before Star's opt out forced him into permanent DT duty. 

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Samuel was not a scheme fit. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I think he meant with small trade-ups. 

Well........a 5th round pick wasn't getting a trade-up done there............so blame Beane for trading for Stefon Diggs @DJB.😉

They could have traded the pick they used on Spencer Brown and possibly got up 9 spots.........but they needed to address the offensive tackle position with youth and I think Brown could prove to be a very valuable pick.

I was more of a Terrace Marshall guy with that pick...........the Bills just missed a chance at him without a trade-up.

Not a huge Basham fan.........I thought he was kinda' maxed out pushing 24 years of age and would end up being Shaq-esque relatively low impact.........played a little better than I expected so far.

Also worth noting that @H2o was one of the bigger critics of the Rousseau pick(although there really weren't any ardent ones among regular posters,  @BarleyNY was probably the most fervent of the regulars......and the ones who hated it most seemed to be recent joiners so might even have been some trolls).

JOK might become a very good player but you don't pick hybrid LB/S when you need talent at premium positions.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
spelling
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

So far he hasn't impressed as much as I'd hoped. 

I was firmly on the JOK or Asante Samuel train instead. 

Both those guys have looked REALLY good so far in the pre season. 

I still have hope Boogie can get it going. 

I am not sure I follow your post here.  Neither JOK or Samuel were available at our pick, so not sure how Boogie being selected has anything to do with those guys.

And Boogie has been getting praise from both his coaches and teammates throughout the offseason and looked good against the Bears.  So, I am not sure what more you wanted to see from him given he is buried on the depth chart behind Hughes, Addison, Rousseau and AJE, not to mention Obaba reportedly had one of the strongest camp of any player on the roster.  

I have actually been quite encouraged by Boogie and impressed with his versatility

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed all the way. And if push came to shove, I'd rather keep Basham over Butler or Harry.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well........a 5th round pick wasn't getting a trade-up done there............so blame Beane for trading for Stefon Diggs @DJB.😉

They could have traded the pick they used on Spencer Brown and possibly got up 9 spots.........but they needed to address the offensive tackle position with youth and I think Brown could prove to be a very valuable pick.

I was more of a Terrace Marshall guy with that pick...........the Bills just missed a chance at him without a trade-up.

Not a huge Basham fan.........I thought he was kinda' maxed out pushing 24 years of age and would end up being Shaq-esque relatively low impact.........played a little better than I expected so far.

Also worth noting that @H2o was one of the bigger critics of the Rousseau pick(although there really weren't any ardent ones among regular posters,  @BarleyNY was probably the most fervent of the regulars......and the ones who hated it most seemed to be recent joiners so might even have been some trolls).

JOK might become a very good player but you don't pick hybrid LB/S when you need talent at premium positions.

Tell me about it. I had everything crossed. Didn't the Panthers take him like 2 spots in front of us?

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed all the way. And if push came to shove, I'd rather keep Basham over Butler or Harry.

Will certainly be interesting at DT.   Oliver and Star are locks.  The staff loves Zimmer.   That’s 3…

Harry is hurt, again.  Butler is a JAG. 

Basham, Rousseau and Obada can all play inside.   

My only concern would be a run heavy team just pounding the rock, especially if we get an injury to any of our DT’s. 

Personally, I think the immediate (relative) success of Rousseau and all the talk of Basham being super "pro ready" have people overly pessimistic about Basham's performance so far.

With the exception of the Chase Youngs and Myles Garretts of the world, edge rusher is often a position that often takes a couple of seasons to get acclimated to. Even Young and Garrett had 7.5 and 7 sacks in their rookie seasons.

Is Basham lighting the world on fire? No. Is he looking like a total bust who doesn't belong on a pro field? Also no. He's part of a deep position group. He has shown flashes of ability already in just two preseason games. 

To top it all off, the Bills have asked him to shed 15 lbs from his combine weight, and we've already seen with AJ Epenesa that body recomposition requires an adjustment period for the player as he learns how to best weaponize his new frame. 

Long story long: Anybody already writing off Basham or saying it was a wasted pick are going too far. He may yet be a pivotal member of Buffalo's pass rush rotation.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Will certainly be interesting at DT.   Oliver and Star are locks.  The staff loves Zimmer.   That’s 3…

Harry is hurt, again.  Butler is a JAG. 

Basham, Rousseau and Obada can all play inside.   

My only concern would be a run heavy team just pounding the rock, especially if we get an injury to any of our DT’s. 

True, but I dont think Id feel any better with Butler in there instead of Basham.

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not sure I follow your post here.  Neither JOK or Samuel were available at our pick, so not sure how Boogie being selected has anything to do with those guys.

And Boogie has been getting praise from both his coaches and teammates throughout the offseason and looked good against the Bears.  So, I am not sure what more you wanted to see from him given he is buried on the depth chart behind Hughes, Addison, Rousseau and AJE, not to mention Obaba reportedly had one of the strongest camp of any player on the roster.  

I have actually been quite encouraged by Boogie and impressed with his versatility

You are correct I forgot they weren't there in round 2. I do remember wanting them round 1 and wanting to move up in round 2 for  one of them. 

Obviously Rousseau is looking like a great pick. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They were as I alluded to my error in another post. :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:46 AM, H2o said:

Ok, so I am man enough to admit my initial reaction was due to the fact I was pissed we didn't take JOK. I think he is exactly what this defense needs to help us with our putrid defense against the upper-tier TE's in this league. I also believe JOK would make Klein basically obsolete. He can do everything that Klein can, but is better in coverage, obviously way more athletic, and more instinctive vs the run. Still a bit disappointed. 

Now, onto Rousseau. Like I said in an earlier post, I see all of the comps to Jevon Kearse and JPP. I don't see Rousseau having the same dip and bend as either of those guys, at least not right now. His athletic traits are nice to have though. His size, length, and burst are 2nd to none in this draft at the DE position. That 1.57 10yd split is the same as Von Miller who was 20lbs lighter than Rousseau at the time of his testing. His 21 reps on the bench for a guy with 35" arms is also REALLY solid. Watching his highlights he got half of his sacks when he was kicked inside on passing downs. That is where his first step and initially quickness stand out the most. When he is strictly coming off of the edge he looks to get a bit upright which allows him to walled off by the OT. He does seem to set the edge well in the run game which is a plus. The versatility to kick inside on passing downs to get after the QB is also a plus. Like I said also, I understand the pick and the reasoning behind it so I'm not mad really.  If they can coach him to play with better leverage, and on his hand usage when coming off of the edge facing OT's, then we could have ourselves a steal at #30.

👆 What I said on 4/30/21.

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I put a Justin Timberlake meme up right after, but I would hardly call myself a real "critic" of the Rousseau pick. I never bashed the guy. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

IIRC, Basham had a strong ST play (blocked an XP) vs. Chicago as well.  If he can keep making plays on ST while he grows as a defender, that will add value.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Love Baldy's stuff. As for Basham week 2 was a definite uptick on week 1. that said the Bears line is awful.

Agreed on Baldy.  As for the Bears OL, I haven't followed other team's OL moves except KC a bit, but I think the Bears OL was solidly mediocre (15th or something) for sack % last season while the Lions OL was bottom third - 'course, QB mobility is a factor there, but any reason to think the Bears OL downgraded or the Lions OL improved?

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

He had 5 tackles, a sack, and a blocked FG.

How much bigger of a splash does he need?

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of knee jerk assessments of Basham, we have many here who just insist that every draft pick performs at a generational talent level, the guys been in the league a couple of months and there is a loud cadre that sees him as a bust, must be a bunch of fantasy nerds on the computer when there parents are out grocery shopping….

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed on Baldy.  As for the Bears OL, I haven't followed other team's OL moves except KC a bit, but I think the Bears OL was solidly mediocre (15th or something) for sack % last season while the Lions OL was bottom third - 'course, QB mobility is a factor there, but any reason to think the Bears OL downgraded or the Lions OL improved?

Well the Lions have Penei Sewell (okay as a rookie) to add to Taylor Decker who is their best player. That gives them at the very least two bookend tackles. Frank Ragnow is a competent center. Guards are a question mark. 

The Bears lost both starting tackles. Leno to Washington and Massi to Denver.