RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's an oldy........the union might make the Bills decide on his 5th year option after his rookie year.

Or Edmunds is still ridiculously young to Captain the Defense ?

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Or Edmunds is still ridiculously young to Captain the Defense ?

Well, no.........he's young for having been in the league for 3 full years......but there were a bunch of 21-23 year old starting MLB's last year.    SB winning MLB was 22.   It's not an old player's position.  And with so many top prospects early enrolling into college there are lot's of players that enter the league at 20-21 now.   

On 4/30/2021 at 10:04 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t think he’s been anywhere near what he was supposed to be. I’m not saying he’s terrible but he’s been very underwhelming IMO. The guy was taken at the top of a draft and is frequently invisible 

Need to calibrate to what realistic expectations are in the draft, even top 10.  Oliver has been a good starter, no liability there.  Is he Aaron Donald the 2nd?  No, surely not (so far), but that shouldn’t make him a “disappointment”.  Look at the picks after him in that draft - not many that I would trade Oliver for.  

In my humble opinion Boogie Basham and Marquez Stevenson will be the most impactful rookies this year. Basham has a complete game already, and more experience at DE than Rousseau.

Rousseau has only played DE for one season, ever, including high school. It was a good one, and I think his style/ceiling is Cam Wake. Then again he could be a one year wonder. Basham has 3+ years as a hand in the dirt DE. He generally improved every year. 2020 is hard to compare given how few games were played, but in general he trended up each year on a per game basis. I think Boogie sees the field first.

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

In my humble opinion Boogie Basham and Marquez Stevenson will be the most impactful rookies this year. Basham has a complete game already, and more experience at DE than Rousseau.

Rousseau has only played DE for one season, ever, including high school. It was a good one, and I think his style/ceiling is Cam Wake. Then again he could be a one year wonder. Basham has 3+ years as a hand in the dirt DE. He generally improved every year. 2020 is hard to compare given how few games were played, but in general he trended up each year on a per game basis. I think Boogie sees the field first.

Actually, I think it's the opposite.  I could be wrong. 

I think Basham is like Epenesa, although maybe better.   He's a guy with good characteristics who should grow into a solid player.   He's a guy who has to grow into the NFL.  

Rousseau is a unique talent.   Yes, he has a lot to learn, but he brings things that will be difficult for some teams to deal with when they first see him.  Some guys flash in the league early, like Jevon Kearse, whose best year was his rookie year, and his sacks and tackles for loss declined in each of the next two seasons.   

Am I sure Rousseau will be like Kearse?  No.  And he won't have a rookie year like Kearse did.  But I think by mid-season of his rookie year, he'll know his assignments and he'll get on the field, and I think teams won't know how to handle him.   Will the league catch up with him?   Maybe, but I don't think so.   I think he'll continue to get stronger and smarter, and his game will evolve.   That's where he'll be different from Kearse.   I think he'll be a big-time impact player in three to four seasons.   

My guess:  Basham might see the field sooner in 2021, but Rousseau will have more impact.  

My vision:  For the next ten years, offensive line coaches will be saying "what are we going to do to stop Rousseau?   And that damn Basham is continual nuisance."  Now, I don't want anyone to get all bent out of shape, because I'm not saying one is the same as the other, but I think it will be in some ways like when offensive line coaches used to say, "what are we going to do to stop Smith?  And that damn Hansen is a continual nuisance."   

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS unpinned this topic
23 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

I think both Boogie and Rousseau will be very good players (especially Boogie) but boy o boy, for a team needing a pass rush did they ever hit on those two first picks. Barring salary cap hell or a major breakdown, I think both these guys will get second contracts with the Bills eventually.

Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle will both be good players, probably not elite ones, but quality NFL linemen who will keep Josh upright. Don’t see any Pro Bowl or HOF caliber talents there, but really solid and smart picks nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think both Boogie and Rousseau will be very good players (especially Boogie) but boy o boy, for a team needing a pass rush did they ever hit on those two first picks. Barring salary cap hell or a major breakdown, I think both these guys will get second contracts with the Bills eventually.

Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle will both be good players, probably not elite ones, but quality NFL linemen who will keep Josh upright. Don’t see any Pro Bowl or HOF caliber talents there, but really solid and smart picks nonetheless.

I can see that with the DEs. I think Rosseau will need a bit more time to ramp up, but could be impactful as early as mid season.

Brown is an intriguing prospect and could become a starting T. Not as sure about Doyle.

I liked the strategy in the draft, OL and DL were clear needs for upgrades and youth. I guess I felt there were better selections at some of those picks.

But they are our guys now and I hope they all play lights out. Hopefully we don't need to see either OT this year!

I'm not sure why this didnt click until just today, but one thing I didnt realize is that Basham himself is 6'5"!

I think with Rousseau being 9ft tall, and Boogie being extra THICCC, it made him look shorter when watching him on tape. I was thinking he was only 6'2" or so, and would be another Oliver-type of power house. But man, 6'5"! And 275lbs!

We got some big boys on this line now.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure why this didnt click until just today, but one thing I didnt realize is that Basham himself is 6'5"!

I think with Rousseau being 9ft tall, and Boogie being extra THICCC, it made him look shorter when watching him on tape. I was thinking he was only 6'2" or so, and would be another Oliver-type of power house. But man, 6'5"! And 275lbs!

We got some big boys on this line now.

Ive seen his height listed as everywhere from 6’2” to 6’5”.  Wondering what he actually measures in at.

• 3 months later...

So far he hasn't impressed as much as I'd hoped. 

I was firmly on the JOK or Asante Samuel train instead. 

Both those guys have looked REALLY good so far in the pre season. 

I still have hope Boogie can get it going. 

Edited by DJB

Just now, DJB said:

The JOK thing burns me up a bit, but I am also a known Notre Dame homer. I haven't been that high on an ND defensive player coming into the draft since Stephon Tuitt. I think he would have been outstanding in this defense playing LB, but I wasn't mad at us taking Basham. I think he will turn into at least the type of player Shaq Lawson was for us. 

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

The JOK thing burns me up a bit, but I am also a known Notre Dame homer. I haven't been that high on an ND defensive player coming into the draft since Stephon Tuitt. I think he would have been outstanding in this defense playing LB, but I wasn't mad at us taking Basham. I think he will turn into at least the type of player Shaq Lawson was for us. 

If it weren't for the health concern I have to think we'd have taken him. I thought we were going to take him round 1 because he fit our big nickle perfectly. 

Absolutely love the player. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, DJB said:

Baldy seems to think he's coming along ok...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I think that was true in the first preseason game, but he really turned it on in the game against the Bears. 

The growth from one game to another was staggering, so I’m not sure how you’re not impressed at least by that growth from one game to another by a 2nd round pick. 

If the Bears game was any indication how these two will fare during the season this should be super exciting/encouraging to us fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1