RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Only reason that worked in the super bowl is because both KC LTs were down. Against teams with good pass rushes when kc’s LTs were healthy, the line was basically fine.

For some reason, I feel like everyone overlooks this very point...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

When the NY Giants defeated NE in the Superbowl, they ran what they called a NASCAR defense. Basically, they put 4 DEs on the line and got after Brady that way. Wondering if McD has something similar in mind.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think in Rousseau they took the higher ceiling and in Basham they took the higher floor. I won't be surprised if Basham contributes more his rookie season while Rousseau develops some pass rush moves.

Basham looks ready to play. Just his style or game seems to translate quickly.

6 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Must not have noticed they had Lavonte David Shaq Barrett and Devin White. Because we have zero of that  at this point 

I'm sure he noticed.  He also noticed our tight cap and the big dollars "similar" players were getting in FA.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Isn’t that what you’ll get if SDS cuts you from being a Mod?

My eyes are opened now.  Where has that salary been going the past 3 years?

At first I was like WHAT?? Double Dip... But now I am thinking we have a hard time covering Kelce. Maybe instead of trying to cover him, try and force KC to keep him on the line to help block? Same with the bucs and possibly 2 TE sets from NE? Still think we need a DT1 somewhere in this draft... Now I am thinking,  this could be quite a fun Dline to watch...🤗. Plus with the extra game this year, I wonder if our D just got worn down at the end of last season...

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don’t think it’s overlooked as much as it’s obvious the Bills need to get the QB more regardless of why the chiefs struggled to protect mahomes. Mahomes threw 56 times vs the Bills in two games last year and the Bills sacked him once. He wasn’t under pressure. You can’t blitz him. You need to get to him with 4. It’s not just the Bucs. The Chargers and Miami showed they could do it too. As Beane said too it’s not just mahomes. Every team we play is going to be trying to throw it all over to score a lot of points knowing they need to keep up, need to counter that. Plus Hughes and Addison are gone next year and we starters ready to step in knowing the scheme and with seasoning. I think Addison could be gone after TC if everyone is healthy tbh. Watching him try to contain was painful. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s overlooked as much as it’s obvious the Bills need to get the QB more regardless of why the chiefs struggled to protect mahomes. Mahomes threw 56 times vs the Bills in two games last year and the Bills sacked him once. He wasn’t under pressure. You can’t blitz him. You need to get to him with 4. It’s not just the Bucs. The Chargers and Miami showed they could do it too. As Beane said too it’s not just mahomes. Every team we play is going to be trying to throw it all over to score a lot of points knowing they need to keep up, need to counter that. Plus Hughes and Addison are gone next year and we starters ready to step in knowing the scheme and with seasoning. I think Addison could be gone after TC if everyone is healthy tbh. Watching him try to contain was painful. 

First, I don't think the Bills spend as much time thinking about how to beat the Chiefs as the fans do.  McBeane think about having the best football team, period.   However, in this case, what the Bills lacked against the Chiefs was one of McDermott's defensive fundamentals:  pressure the QB with four guys.  So, in going after these pass rushers, Beane's keeping his HC happy AND he's preparing for Mahomes. 

I haven't read the thread, so I don't know all that's been said.  I'll try to catch up.  First thing I did this morning is watch Beane's presser from last night, and two things stuck out.   One is what we already know - Beane is absolutely about best player available.   Absolutely.  The press keeps asking these need-based questions, and Beane keeps saying we take the best player.  The other thing really speaks to how good they think Basham is.  The Bills had a trade finalized to move back.  They were going to pick up a second third round pick and some other picks, apparently.  With three picks to go, the trade was finalized, but Beane told the other team if his guy was there, the trade was off.  Basham was his guy.  Think about that - he turned down a trade he liked to take a player at a position where he no longer had, strictly speaking, a need.  

Lastly, as someone said, the Giants beat the Patriots with a lot of pass rushers all in the lineup, and for two days now we've heard Beane talk about Rousseau and Basham moving inside.  I think McDermott's creative juices are flowing.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, I don't think the Bills spend as much time thinking about how to beat the Chiefs as the fans do.  McBeane think about having the best football team, period.   However, in this case, what the Bills lacked against the Chiefs was one of McDermott's defensive fundamentals:  pressure the QB with four guys.  So, in going after these pass rushers, Beane's keeping his HC happy AND he's preparing for Mahomes. 

I haven't read the thread, so I don't know all that's been said.  I'll try to catch up.  First thing I did this morning is watch Beane's presser from last night, and two things stuck out.   One is what we already know - Beane is absolutely about best player available.   Absolutely.  The press keeps asking these need-based questions, and Beane keeps saying we take the best player.  The other thing really speaks to how good they think Basham is.  The Bills had a trade finalized to move back.  They were going to pick up a second third round pick and some other picks, apparently.  With three picks to go, the trade was finalized, but Beane told the other team if his guy was there, the trade was off.  Basham was his guy.  Think about that - he turned down a trade he liked to take a player at a position where he no longer had, strictly speaking, a need.  

Lastly, as someone said, the Giants beat the Patriots with a lot of pass rushers all in the lineup, and for two days now we've heard Beane talk about Rousseau and Basham moving inside.  I think McDermott's creative juices are flowing.  

Interesting. Where did you hear that out of curiosity?

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I heard it spoken of on this board yesterday iirc

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Way more athletic than Shaq.

after watching his YouTube clip, I’m not sure why folks want him inside. Guy is just the kind of athletic freak you want on the edge. 

Both guys could start

A lot of us wanted Carl Lawson in FA... this guy gives me those vibes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I heard it spoken of on this board yesterday iirc

Ya I just found a few sources on Bruce Nolan's twitter account saying the same thing. Interesting.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They just asked Matt Miller on espn which day 2 pick liked the most. He said Kyle trask to Florida and boogie basham to Bills. He said the bills are “building a wall” with that DL and it was great value and identification of a need

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya I just found a few sources on Bruce Nolan's twitter account saying the same thing. Interesting.

I thought about that too. Not only did Beane double down on the same position but turned down an opportunity for an extra pick. They must have had him that high on their board that the could not pass up the value and player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought about that too. Not only did Beane double down on the same position but turned down an opportunity for an extra pick. They must have had him that high on their board that the could not pass up the value and player.

Ya crazy. They must have really liked Basham to turn away I believe it was a 3rd round pick that was reported.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is true.   I guess we could say the only reason KC shut down our passing game is because every single one of our WR’s were playing hurt...

But I do think there’s some “there” there on both accounts. 

There’s no guarantee KC’s line, with a bunch of new pieces, is great in pass pro.  

There’s a reason why we replaced Brown with Sanders and Beane has mentioned we need to be able to run the ball better.  

Regardless of KC, we needed a younger, more freakish pass rush.   If for nothing else to welcome all the new QBs in our division.  

We still want to win the AFCE year in/year out.   If Miami is the biggest threat, don’t let Tua get comfortable on drop backs and have giants to knock down quick crossers to Waddle.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They just asked Matt Miller on espn which day 2 pick liked the most. He said Kyle trask to Florida and boogie basham to Bills. He said the bills are “building a wall” with that DL and it was great value and identification of a need

It’s almost the only thing that makes sense, almost like what he suggested in picking Fromm last year, just couldn’t pass it up.

Is it possible they Rousseau plays one end and  basham plays the other? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I said this last night and I'll just repeat it:

Everyone says they love Beane, Beane is a wizard, big baller beane, and all that stuff.....until he doesn't draft the way they want him to draft.

He TOLD us he drafts best player available. He TOLD us he drafts with the future in mind. He TOLD us he used free agency to fill "needs" so that he can just take BPA. And everyone cheered and said "yes! We love it! Beane is the man!". Then the draft started and he passed on players at "need" positions to take BPA and think about the future, and half of Bills Mafia got the pitchforks.

You don't reach for need in the draft and skip better players at less "needed" positions in the process. You ESPECIALLY don't reach for need in the draft and skip better players when you already have a really good roster. And most bizarrely of all -- fixing the pass rush IS a huge need. Arguably the BIGGEST need! So anybody being upset that he addressed it aggressively in this draft is confusing to me. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Beane's press conference last night.   The video is on the Bills website.   I was surprised that he was that frank about it.  He was trading out of the pick, and he sounded excited to be able to do it.   But he would trade if Basham was there.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s almost the only thing that makes sense, almost like what he suggested in picking Fromm last year, just couldn’t pass it up.

Is it possible they Rousseau plays one end and  basham plays the other? 

Eventually. I think you may even see Rousseau/Boogie/Oliver/Hughes in obvious passing situations but long term I think you will see Boogie starting at that RDE spot. Rousseau is probably the starter at LDE week 1. Obviously Epenesa will be another rotational piece as well, but in the end I think Boogie will beat him out as the starter. Boogie is way more versatile and way more gifted.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2