RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

Basham is a DE. Everyone needs to remember that Jerry Hughes will be 33 when the season starts and will be a FA next Spring. Addison is only here for one more season at most. Beane said in his Zoom meeting that the draft this year is about the future, not just now. I can see a combination of Rousseau/Basham/Epenesa being our 1A, 1B, and 1C in the starting lineup going into 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oliver is 287 pounds.  Yes, Basham can play inside and spell Oliver.  Basham may be able to bulk up from 270 and give us an extra 3 technique on the inside- especailly on passing downs.   We could then have Hughes and Rousseau on the outside and two penetrating interior tackles.  That is a lot of speed to go after the mobile QB's that we often are facing.  We also have Zimmer as interior DL, who is also speedy and good at pursuit.   There is a plan.

5 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

A final point on this pick...

I know most of us watched every down of Bills football last year...But in case you forgot the Bills Defense dropped from 9th in the league in 3rd Down Defense (36.44%)in 2019 to 19th in 2020 (41.7%)...I'm certain most of you remember the painful drop off in 3rd and long D this year...There were only 2 Playoff teams worse than the Bills D on 3rd Down (Cleveland and Seattle)...

They also dropped from 6th in the league in sacks per game (3.0) in 2019 to 15th (2.3) in 2020...From 2nd in scoring D in 2019 (16.5) to 14th (23.2) in 2020. That's basically a TD per game...From 4th in passing yards per game in 2019 (196.6) to 14th in 2020 (239.5)...

McD is a Defensive Coach...None of this went unnoticed...

From a personal perspective, as amazing as it was to see the Bills Offense operate in 2020 and watch Josh Allen mature into an NFL star, it was almost equally as frustrating watching this Defense...It is 100% true that maintaining excellence on Defense year after year in the NFL is unlikely...But I doubt very much McD cares about the odds....The truth is, if this Bills Offense can maintain in the passing game, improve running the ball to keep Defenses honest, and the D can return to 2019 efficiency...Well...Then we'll be talking about a legit SB Championship caliber team...

And that's why I love the Draft approach this year...The Bills were not good enough, especially in the trenches on Defense...They went long stretches of games not effecting the opposing QB nearly enough...Nothing is guaranteed of course, but McBeane are out to change that in a blunt-force kind of way...And I'm greatly encouraged by the effort...Yes it's going to mean some surprising roster changes are coming to the D-Line...But IMHO it's 100% warranted and needed to take that last big step... 😎

Agree the D needs to be better. The offense will probably step back a bit as playing on the road in full stadiums will be different than last season. Won't be as calm and quiet for the O. 

7 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Don’t be surprised if they ask him to do what they asked Epenesa.... drop some weight to be quicker.

Being 270, I could see them telling him to get to 260.

Idk, I think 270 is a good weight for him considering he played between 285-290lbs while at Wake Forest. 

21 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I do think having an edge guy that can set the edge in run defense and clean things up when the initial pressure forces the QB to move is important and something that we lacked this past year.

We still need that initial rusher long-term though as I don't really think that's Epenesa. Still some intriguing guys that could fit that criteria available though. I really hope we double dip on edge guys the way Tampa did with corners a couple years ago when they took Sean Murphy-Bunting and Jamel Dean back to back on day 2.

Basham isn't really what I had in mind, but this aged pretty well.

• Like (+1) 3

Maryland, I don’t know as Butler is normally a 3 tech. DT, but was forced when Star opted out to take on that role.  GROOT probably only gets limited time as he only played in 14 college football games.  These additions were more for our future vs. now with the exception of Basham as he played 44 games in college.

I could see a world where they go the opposite direction with Epenesa and he gets back to 280 as he would play more of a Shaq role setting the edge against the run.  He was actually pretty good in that he helped us much better against the run in 2019.  Epenesa at 260 was pushed around a bit, but was much better on the run in college.  I understand them wanting speed from him last year, but it worked minimally.  It’s not a bad idea to have two types of DE’s.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To me this would make all the sense in the world if we weren't desperate for CBs at this point.  Now I'm genuinely worried about our CB situation beyond White... and next year it'll only be him and Jackson under contract.

That said, I think the Super Bowl proved pretty well that if you can get a lot of pressure on Mahomes, he's human... pretty much just like absolutely any other QB in history.

I don't know much about college football, but this guy was evidently Dane Brugler's 44th ranked prospect so we got good value there if that's true.  Does anyone have a clue whether we still save money on the Cap if we cut Addison before the season?  Regardless... Beane is looking towards the future.  Even if Hughes and Addison remain... they're old and at least Addison will almost certainly be gone next year... but likely both.  Reading the tea leaves I would say Beane understands he's about to pay Josh Allen big money and he wants our edge rushers to be set.  In order to ensure that, he's making sure they're part of a rotation this year so they can learn from the savvy vets and then will be our starters next year.

But... what about CB?

there wasnt anyone bills wanted when they were picking / right value. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Basham is a DE. Everyone needs to remember that Jerry Hughes will be 33 when the season starts and will be a FA next Spring. Addison is only here for one more season at most. Beane said in his Zoom meeting that the draft this year is about the future, not just now. I can see a combination of Rousseau/Basham/Epenesa being our 1A, 1B, and 1C in the starting lineup going into 2022. 

Gonna be a scary defensive front for years to come a la WFT, especially if they get that big, offensive lineman engulfing DT.

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I didn’t look into him too much. What do you like about him?

I wanted Rousseau for months then everyone said he was gonna fall suddenly. 

I didn't get to watch much college ball this year, record low for me really.

But Basham really stood out and has other intangibles you want in a player.

I won't get into his play because you can watch highlights or some game clips, but outside of that, he's got that swagger you want, was a captain, can squat over 700 lbs., and finally, 20+ sacks in college isn't anything to scoff at.

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think in Rousseau they took the higher ceiling and in Basham they took the higher floor. I won't be surprised if Basham contributes more his rookie season while Rousseau develops some pass rush moves.

I do think Rousseau can still contribute this season on passing downs from inside while he is perfecting those moves against tackles. 

11 hours ago, DJB said:

Beane when he sees an edge guy available and he's on the clock

giphy.gif

One of my favorite gifs

Well done!

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Because Hughes, Addison and Star likely gone after this coming season.

Addison is certainly gone, I still think Jerry may stick around for a year or 2 on a cheaper deal with a voidable cut year on the back side. 

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That would remind me of Lawson...we could definitely use a guy like that...edge setter against the run and able to get the odd sack here and there

Way more athletic than Shaq.

after watching his YouTube clip, I’m not sure why folks want him inside. Guy is just the kind of athletic freak you want on the edge. 

Both guys could start

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1