RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

A final point on this pick...

I know most of us watched every down of Bills football last year...But in case you forgot the Bills Defense dropped from 9th in the league in 3rd Down Defense (36.44%)in 2019 to 19th in 2020 (41.7%)...I'm certain most of you remember the painful drop off in 3rd and long D this year...There were only 2 Playoff teams worse than the Bills D on 3rd Down (Cleveland and Seattle)...

They also dropped from 6th in the league in sacks per game (3.0) in 2019 to 15th (2.3) in 2020...From 2nd in scoring D in 2019 (16.5) to 14th (23.2) in 2020. That's basically a TD per game...From 4th in passing yards per game in 2019 (196.6) to 14th in 2020 (239.5)...

McD is a Defensive Coach...None of this went unnoticed...

From a personal perspective, as amazing as it was to see the Bills Offense operate in 2020 and watch Josh Allen mature into an NFL star, it was almost equally as frustrating watching this Defense...It is 100% true that maintaining excellence on Defense year after year in the NFL is unlikely...But I doubt very much McD cares about the odds....The truth is, if this Bills Offense can maintain in the passing game, improve running the ball to keep Defenses honest, and the D can return to 2019 efficiency...Well...Then we'll be talking about a legit SB Championship caliber team...

And that's why I love the Draft approach this year...The Bills were not good enough, especially in the trenches on Defense...They went long stretches of games not effecting the opposing QB nearly enough...Nothing is guaranteed of course, but McBeane are out to change that in a blunt-force kind of way...And I'm greatly encouraged by the effort...Yes it's going to mean some surprising roster changes are coming to the D-Line...But IMHO it's 100% warranted and needed to take that last big step... 😎

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One thing that immediately jumps out on tape is he is lined up all over the #%@$g place!  It took me 2 replays to find where he started the play.  Thats gotta be a nightmare if youre a qb, or all the sudden hes your new blocking assignment after you break the huddle. His power looks great, but he has some lateral quickness i like too

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, McBean said:

McBeane watched last years super bowl 10x daily I guess

Must not have noticed they had Lavonte David Shaq Barrett and Devin White. Because we have zero of that  at this point 

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Maybe more of a Zo roll?

Zo was kind of an after thought in a nickel defense which is why I am not sure why they took Epenesa last year, turned around signed Obada the draft Rousseau and Basham a month or so later. Yes Beane said inside outside but until they get on the field all that banter is moot we need a 0 or 1 tech which is a little more far fetched when you invested so much in the d line already. This is a tough one to try to figure out. They have a process I guess but I am not prepared to have blind faith yet. Pressing needs were bypassed, whos going to replace Beasley in the slot. And are they going to let Levi beat Richard Sherman this year? Who is supposed to cover all these tight ends?Tyrrell Dodson Antonio Phillips and Matt Milano? With no 4th rd... yet. (I bet we trade into it) They have to really hope they stumble upon a day 1 contributor somewhere in the next 4 picks.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Major influx of Youth and talent at DE with the early double dip. This put Addison Gone. And maybe even a Harrison Phillips on notice with Rousseau moving inside on passing downs. 

this will allow a youth movement in a position group that needed it. I also think the double dip (after signing in the position in UFA) puts Hughes on the Block. 

I just dont understand why people cant understand this

We dont have enough picks to make everyone happy.....we are not picking high enough to trade down like in previous years (when we even did) we are picking at the end of rounds.

Beane has a clear focus on what he is doing......ONCE WE HIT THE PLAYOFFS our lines were getting bullied....getting pushed around.....both sides.

Beane is fixing that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Remember that this guy is in the 270s...

Greg Cosell speaking with Chris Brown tonight after our pick said scouts believed if he bulks up to 280+ believe he could swing inside...

Personally, I'm thinking of the Epenesa body transformation last offseason ...

Could Boogie be a long-term DT inside?

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

Ha - just got a txt from someone I know - their son-in law is a distant cousin of Basham

And I once was on a plane with Macho Man

I will forever have distasteful visions of macho fan from the Browns dancing around on the stage and Cleveland jumping ahead of us to draft JOK just a few spots ahead of us sitting at 61.  I was hoping after he made it that long that we had a great shot at him and I envisioned us finally having an answer to tight ends like Kelce, the Pats running 12 personnel, and the fins tight ends also abusing us!  I thought Beane sat still a little too long with JOK within reach at a reasonable price , and Cleveland was aggressive knowing they needed an answer for Kelce as well after addressing edge with Clowney and Garrett.   We still have no answer for covering tight ends but maybe we can get some actual sacks rather than just pressures that don’t seem to bother Mahomes or Brady. 

We still need to hope we develop a run game and we still have to see if we can get production from our tight ends down the seams. Still more draft to go but Beane was not leaving without ramping up pressure from our d lines! 

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

A final point on this pick...

I know most of us watched every down of Bills football last year...But in case you forgot the Bills Defense dropped from 9th in the league in 3rd Down Defense (36.44%)in 2019 to 19th in 2020 (41.7%)...I'm certain most of you remember the painful drop off in 3rd and long D this year...There were only 2 Playoff teams worse than the Bills D on 3rd Down (Cleveland and Seattle)...

They also dropped from 6th in the league in sacks per game (3.0) in 2019 to 15th (2.3) in 2020...From 2nd in scoring D in 2019 (16.5) to 14th (23.2) in 2020. That's basically a TD per game...From 4th in passing yards per game in 2019 (196.6) to 14th in 2020 (239.5)...

McD is a Defensive Coach...None of this went unnoticed...

From a personal perspective, as amazing as it was to see the Bills Offense operate in 2020 and watch Josh Allen mature into an NFL star, it was almost equally as frustrating watching this Defense...It is 100% true that maintaining excellence on Defense year after year in the NFL is unlikely...But I doubt very much McD cares about the odds....The truth is, if this Bills Offense can maintain in the passing game, improve running the ball to keep Defenses honest, and the D can return to 2019 efficiency...Well...Then we'll be talking about a legit SB Championship caliber team...

And that's why I love the Draft approach this year...The Bills were not good enough, especially in the trenches on Defense...They went long stretches of games not effecting the opposing QB nearly enough...Nothing is guaranteed of course, but McBeane are out to change that in a blunt-force kind of way...And I'm greatly encouraged by the effort...Yes it's going to mean some surprising roster changes are coming to the D-Line...But IMHO it's 100% warranted and needed to take that last big step... 😎

Great points and I appreciate the stats you provided. D line needed work, my only issue is was this the draft with actual talent at edge to truly make a difference THIS YEAR.  We had a shot at JOK ( 15 th ranked player overall by many) who can blitz, cover tight ends , and actually had production last year. We may have stood still a little too long allowing Cleveland, a conference and probable playoff foe, to jump up and grab him.  I like McBeane addressing our d issues , I just wonder if taking two edge guys was the best option for getting the needed production this season. I hope so! 

Looks like a DE to me too. I'm not a fan of changing players weights massively without a clear reason just for the sake of it. Epenesa clearly played differently in his final year at Iowa because of the extra weight, that wasn't the case here

Edited by Mountain Man

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

*taps mic*

Boogie basham is an unexpected child. I was not planning on having him, I may be scared and confused. But now that he’s here I can’t imagine life without him.

Pure gold!  About fell off the comode laughing just now!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Three years of day two picks: two running backs, three edge defenders.  And there’s still one to go!  

And we still suck at running the ball and sacking the QB. 😂

(I am kidding, kind of)

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I will forever have distasteful visions of macho fan from the Browns dancing around on the stage and Cleveland jumping ahead of us to draft JOK just a few spots ahead of us sitting at 61.  I was hoping after he made it that long that we had a great shot at him and I envisioned us finally having an answer to tight ends like Kelce, the Pats running 12 personnel, and the fins tight ends also abusing us!  I thought Beane sat still a little too long with JOK within reach at a reasonable price , and Cleveland was aggressive knowing they needed an answer for Kelce as well after addressing edge with Clowney and Garrett.   We still have no answer for covering tight ends but maybe we can get some actual sacks rather than just pressures that don’t seem to bother Mahomes or Brady. 

We still need to hope we develop a run game and we still have to see if we can get production from our tight ends down the seams. Still more draft to go but Beane was not leaving without ramping up pressure from our d lines! 

JOK (who ever that is) lasted until 61, didn't you want him in the first? Hmmmm????