RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To me this would make all the sense in the world if we weren't desperate for CBs at this point.  Now I'm genuinely worried about our CB situation beyond White... and next year it'll only be him and Jackson under contract.

But... what about CB?

They're taking 4 more players tomorrow. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Governor said:

I’m not complaining. I’m just a little freaked out that everyone is fixated on the Chiefs when it could very well be the Titans, who could totally rag-doll us physically.

We just picked up two 6' 5+" monsters, that are more physical by nature than finesse. I think well finish figurimg it out in the next rounds.  Hope a big DT comes to us soon here

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To me this would make all the sense in the world if we weren't desperate for CBs at this point.  Now I'm genuinely worried about our CB situation beyond White... and next year it'll only be him and Jackson under contract.

That said, I think the Super Bowl proved pretty well that if you can get a lot of pressure on Mahomes, he's human... pretty much just like absolutely any other QB in history.

I don't know much about college football, but this guy was evidently Dane Brugler's 44th ranked prospect so we got good value there if that's true.  Does anyone have a clue whether we still save money on the Cap if we cut Addison before the season?  Regardless... Beane is looking towards the future.  Even if Hughes and Addison remain... they're old and at least Addison will almost certainly be gone next year... but likely both.  Reading the tea leaves I would say Beane understands he's about to pay Josh Allen big money and he wants our edge rushers to be set.  In order to ensure that, he's making sure they're part of a rotation this year so they can learn from the savvy vets and then will be our starters next year.

But... what about CB?

Good thing the season doesn’t start until September and we have 4 picks left and a decent amount of good free agent CBs still available.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Governor said:

I’m not complaining. I’m just a little freaked out that everyone is fixated on the Chiefs when it could very well be the Titans, who could totally rag-doll us physically.

Not to mention Cleveland who I was also not interested in playing last year and who has continued to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Not to mention Cleveland who I was also not interested in playing last year and who has continued to get better.

Yeah, they’re more physical. I want big dudes on both sides of the ball. Imagine Josh behind a huge line, with a physical back, with a Corey Davis sized receiver along with Diggs and Beas.

We’re too small. I think the organization agrees with me.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You're telling me he's actually bigger than this guy?

Also fun fact Boogie's cousin was a DE for the Jets last year.

I guess it depends on your source... this Athletic article says he's 6'9"... but if his pro-day says he's 6'8"... he's probably 6'8"...

https://theathletic.com/2509227/2021/04/30/what-the-bills-are-getting-in-northern-iowa-ot-spencer-brown-a-6-foot-9-monster-who-continues-to-improve/

What the Bills are getting in Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown, a 6-foot-9 ‘monster’ who continues to improve

By Scott Dochterman 1h ago 5 

Spencer Brown’s five-year transition from low-level recruit to third-round draft pick by Bills is nothing short of astounding.

Growing up in southwest Iowa, Brown (6-foot-9, 321 pounds) played for an eight-man football program and was all-everything in three sports. 

After his true freshman season, Brown sat down with UNI coach Mark Farley. The goal was to add weight but keep Brown — then 6-8, 235 pounds — limber enough to remain a pass-catcher.

Coachspeak

“He is so flexible. He was 210 pounds and a skinny basketball player when we got him in. We took him as a tight end originally, but he was athletic. Then when he went to 255 and 275, he had the same athleticism, the same flexibility and then he moved into 300 pounds. There’s not many 315-pound guys that are 6-9 that can get into stance and bend and get down low like he can.” — Northern Iowa head coach Mark Farley

but yes... he's bigger than that guy

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

This makes absolutely no sense.  Even once Addison and Hughes are gone, you still have 3 DE's in two years.  I mean, what's the plan here?

I'm sorry, but I don't like this at all

I would have preferred a CB, but I still like it. Rousseau is a high risk, high reward pick, so I guess they just wanted to double down. Epinesa had a weak rookie campaign too. DE is probably the most important position after QB. It could have been worse.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That said, I think the Super Bowl proved pretty well that if you can get a lot of pressure on Mahomes, he's human... pretty much just like absolutely any other QB in history.

I don't know much about college football, but this guy was evidently Dane Brugler's 44th ranked prospect so we got good value there if that's true.  Does anyone have a clue whether we still save money on the Cap if we cut Addison before the season?  Regardless... Beane is looking towards the future.  Even if Hughes and Addison remain... they're old and at least Addison will almost certainly be gone next year... but likely both.  Reading the tea leaves I would say Beane understands he's about to pay Josh Allen big money and he wants our edge rushers to be set.  In order to ensure that, he's making sure they're part of a rotation this year so they can learn from the savvy vets and then will be our starters next year.

But... what about CB?

I seen you already got the FA option to your post.  I was totally wrong too.  I would of bet that a CB would of been taken in the first 3 rounds.

Along with the FA option all I got left is that they found Dane Jackson in the 6th last year and maybe they can repeat with a 5th rounder

tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

This makes absolutely no sense.  Even once Addison and Hughes are gone, you still have 3 DE's in two years.  I mean, what's the plan here?

I'm sorry, but I don't like this at all

Well, ignoring Beane’s comments that Rousseau will focus on playing DE in his first year, he was known for his pass rush from the inside.