RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

Just now, klos63 said:

or because they are still the best players at their position. Not going to pay $10 million to mentor.

That to. But cap space could be the deciding factor. I would be pretty upset since last year they kept Trent Murphy instead of saving $7 million. Worst move by Beane IMO. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That to. But cap space could be the deciding factor. I would be pretty upset since last year they kept Trent Murphy instead of saving $7 million. Worst move by Beane IMO. 

There is a savings cutting those 2 this year, but lot of dead cap too. Is it worth it?

I will say I was surprised that Beane doubled up on DE.  I heard two opposing opinions expressed on TV.  Basham should bulk up some more and move inside, and, He should lose a little weight to gain quickness.  I'm of the latter opinion.  He actually times faster in the 40 than Rousseau.  He might lose a few pounds, still retain his strength and run a sub 4.6 40.  He's a natural left defensive end and should help in the run defense as well as getting after the passer.  Lots of competition on the D-line now (except at 1 tech).  It shows what Beane is thinking.

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not making a commentary on the 2 guys we picked this year. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt. I heard a lot of people mentioning basham in round 1 so I have to believe it’s a good thing we got him in the 2nd. I know very little about these guys....it’s more about the recent history. The last few years we have missed badly on the DLine. I also feel like the qbs get the ball out to fast. There’s no reason to waste premium assets on pass rushers. Even the best pass rushers barely get there. Might as well sure you the coverage or interior run defense.

i didn’t say you commented on them. I said the pass rushers are not valuable part was waaaaay over stated. 

in a league built to pass with an offense that is high scoring, interior run defense doesn’t excite me near as much as moving the passer who is trying to catch up to our offense.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not making a commentary on the 2 guys we picked this year. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt. I heard a lot of people mentioning basham in round 1 so I have to believe it’s a good thing we got him in the 2nd. I know very little about these guys....it’s more about the recent history. The last few years we have missed badly on the DLine. I also feel like the qbs get the ball out to fast. There’s no reason to waste premium assets on pass rushers. Even the best pass rushers barely get there. Might as well sure you the coverage or interior run defense.

I think Beane may still pick up a NT as Star 2.0, or he could roll the dice and just hope Star has a great Renaissance year this season and look to fill the need later.

We still should be looking for our replacement for Morse too...

Basham seems pretty talented not to pick up where we got him, just wish we had more picks this round.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If you think of Ed Oliver as a miss you are just being silly.

I don’t think he’s been anywhere near what he was supposed to be. I’m not saying he’s terrible but he’s been very underwhelming IMO. The guy was taken at the top of a draft and is frequently invisible 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Here’s my way of accepting this: 

Would I trade a late first and two low seconds for an elite pass rusher? In a heart beat. We have 3 chances for one of these guys to become that, and maybe all three become something....

^ that logic helps a whole lot. 

I like our odds that at least 2 become good starters. Your guess as to the combo is as good as mine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

There is a savings cutting those 2 this year, but lot of dead cap too. Is it worth it?

Cutting Hughes makes no sense. Still a good pass rusher worth his cost. Addison? Well I think it comes down to training camp. If Epenesa or anyone else shows they're ready I think they make the move. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I mean, you saw how they man-handled us last year. 

I feel we’re a bit undersized.

Extremely. And it’s not like there is athleticism to overcome the size deficit either.  Love Jerry but he’s an overachiever.

and physicality matters. 

id rather risk an underachieving Tremaine Edmunds than risk an overachieving London Fletcher if I’m in the gm/selection biz.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

20 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Then they'll kill whatever other QB they have to face...😎

My buddy who is a huge Vols fan just texted me asking that we please please please break Mac Jones in half. 

Beane: "I'm telling you, we draft Best Player Available, we draft with the future in mind, and we don't draft for need"

Fans: "Yeah, Beane, we know. It's all good. We trust you!"

Beane: "We're taking edge rushers back to back in rounds 1 and 2"

Fans: "WHAT? WHY?! This is ridiculous! It doesn't make any sense! We had bigger immediate needs! Rabble Rabble"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

i didn’t say you commented on them. I said the pass rushers are not valuable part was waaaaay over stated. 

in a league built to pass with an offense that is high scoring, interior run defense doesn’t excite me near as much as moving the passer who is trying to catch up to our offense.

...but if you have a stout interior that can counter the run, you can commit to just a four-man rush with the back 7 focused on coverage, which forces QBs to hold the ball longer which leads to sacks from your edge rushers.

It's complimentary rather than this or that.

Edited by WideNine

21 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

I agree it makes zero sense to me as well. I’m hoping when Beane has another presser he can go into some kind of reasoning when we could use another corner or center since Morse might be one concussion away from being a veggie. 

We don’t have anymore picks?

You’ll enjoy Rochell at 93

• Like (+1) 1