RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Possibly. Bills have some edge players that can rush from 3 tech. But maybe they keep 1 less somewhere else. 

Addison could be cut post June 1st. 

Doubt it...he took a paycut in exchange for guaranteed salary this year.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

In not understanding wasting all of these early picks (the last few years) on the DLine. All I know is eventually some of them better be good. It wouldn’t aggravate me as much if any of these guys were actually good. Eponessa, Oliver, Harry....these guys have been underwhelming at best. The new nfl is getting the ball out quick. It’s almost impossible to get homes I’d suggest a DE has never been more worthless....I really hope at least one of these guys ends up being good.

That last bit is terribly overstated by you 

This dude ranked 2nd on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks List"

https://theathletic.com/1938659/2020/07/21/bruce-feldmans-freaks-list-2019-college-football-top-athletic-performances-2/

2. Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest, defensive end

Freakiest attribute: Pick one

One of the best-kept secrets in college football, Basham is a dominant player with 31 career TFLs and 15.5 sacks. He made first-team All-ACC in 2019 with 18 TFLs and 11 sacks. Basham’s measurables stack up well with any of the Freak D-linemen that Clemson or NC State have produced in recent years. The 6-3½, 280-pounder benches more than 400 pounds and squats more than 700. Even more impressive, he’s vertical jumped more than 36 inches and clocked a 4.21 in the short shuttle, which would eclipse any time by a guy his size at this year’s NFL combine. The dude runs so well that Wake even has him on its kickoff team.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We really don't need to get any better on offense - we were top 3. Sure, our running game wasn't all that, but it's not like that slowed us down too much.

It was tough watching a D that couldn't get pressure on the passer last year.  Even during the drought, it was the one thing the Bills were good at.

Now, they've addressed that.  I mean - Rousseau, Oliver, Epenesa, Basham.  A really young, talented crew that could be anchoring a SB-contending defense for years to come.

Color me stoked.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, iccrewman112 said:

If he does play inside is this a wake up call to Oliver?

Just now, iccrewman112 said:

Not at all beane said we look towards the future and we are very old on the d-line 

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Like Rousseau, he's a great kid.  More polished at this point than Rousseau

Yes. I can see that Basham already has NFL written all over him. Rousseau will settle down and catch up with coaching. These two picks are also good counter moves for teams coming after us!

Could mean one of these two will have a hang nail in training camp and placed on IR??

There was another thread discussing which D lineman will be cut as we had one extra and was easy to cut or trade one of them without losing very much. Now with two, will be tougher.

Don't know much about the contracts of Hughes or Addison, know they are both FA after this season, but how much would dead money if either is cut before this year.

Okay so here’s our DL as of now: 

we got Efa and we got Epy, we got Eddy and we got Rous. We got a star, and we got some boogie. There’s a Harry and Jerry and don’t forget Mario!

There’s a lot to work with there, but I don’t have the mental energy to get this more organized. Some great nicknames though. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

In not understanding wasting all of these early picks (the last few years) on the DLine. All I know is eventually some of them better be good. It wouldn’t aggravate me as much if any of these guys were actually good. Eponessa, Oliver, Harry....these guys have been underwhelming at best. The new nfl is getting the ball out quick. It’s almost impossible to get homes I’d suggest a DE has never been more worthless....I really hope at least one of these guys ends up being good.

getting to the qb never works

Edited by Tuel Time
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, iccrewman112 said:

In my opinion it should be a wake up call to Oliver. 

He obviously won't be cut but with back to back picks that can generate pressure from the 3 tech. Oliver isn't guaranteed his 5th year. Might be a 4 years then out

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1