RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

3 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I like the Basham pick. I think he could be a great DE.

No, I do not like the draft strategy. Again, Rousseau was the wrong pick when CB or another position could have been addresses.

They picked two DE's for two reasons:

First, they don't draft DL well. Second,  more importantly, they are going to cut a few DE's on our current roster to save or create cap space.

When Allen gets paid and if Edmunds gets paid, got to go cheap other places. Our DL costs too much versus production.

This is why I would have preferred JOK, lb from Notre Dame in Round 1 to replace Edmunds in 1-2 years because of cost.

Basham and Rousseau will replace Butler and maybe Addison.

DL will have Hughes (last year with team), the new guy we got in FA, Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham.

I really wish in hindsight they went Tyson Campbell and Basham

To me it was clearly BPA and he stayed true to his board.  First round picks still bust more than half the time.  Just because we took one at 30 and one last year in the 2nd does not by any means mean we are set at DE.  We just have “PROSPECTS” with potential.  But we are for sure losing our two starters by next year in Addison and Hughes.  Doubling down here with BPA at a position of major need next year is fine with me.  

I like this pick.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So we're trading for a CB2 then? Or are we just going to watch Wallace getting torched again in 2021? I don't imagine we'll find what we need in the 3rd unless we get very lucky. This needs to be Beane's best draft if we're going to take the next step. Other than Allen, Singletary and Davis he hasn't gotten good value in the draft. The high picks like Oliver and Edmunds have played OK at times, but I wouldn't take either one if I had a do-over. Ford was an even worse value. He's been awful. Maybe these 2 rookie DE's will both turn out great. I sure hope so.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was initially as confused as everyone else, HOWEVER....

In retrospect, it makes all too much sense.

How could anyone watch the Bills completely fail to harass Mahomes in the AFCCG last year, followed by watching the Bucs pound him into the dirt again and again, and NOT think that Beane would view fixing the pass rush as the absolute most important issue?

The Bills spend A TON on the defensive line and don't have the production to show for it. That's about to change. Addison will be a post June 1st cut, and as of next year, there will be a quartet of youngsters in Buffalo: Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, Johnson/Obada. This will save the Bills a ton of money that they will direly need to extend Allen and whoever else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GreggTX said:

So we're trading for a CB2 then? Or are we just going to watch Wallace getting torched again in 2021? I don't imagine we'll find what we need in the 3rd unless we get very lucky. This needs to be Beane's best draft if we're going to take the next step. Other than Allen, Singletary and Davis he hasn't gotten good value in the draft. The high picks like Oliver and Edmunds have played OK at times, but I wouldn't take either one if I had a do-over. Ford was an even worse value. He's been awful. Maybe these 2 rookie DE's will both turn out great. I sure hope so.

Don’t sleep on Dane 

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I was as shocked as anyone else by this pick...

But I've been telling everyone that will listen to me these past few months that TB cracked the code...And it's pretty clear to me that McBeane watched the SB and thought the same thing...

The Bills intend on beating KC with their front 7...I think that's pretty obvious at this point...😎

But what if it isn’t KC?

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I was as shocked as anyone else by this pick...

But I've been telling everyone that will listen to me these past few months that TB cracked the code...And it's pretty clear to me that McBeane watched the SB and thought the same thing...

The Bills intend on beating KC with their front 7...I think that's pretty obvious at this point...😎

But what if it isn’t KC?

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

I like him as a player but how much does he improve this team... that just means we are gonna have to cut some pretty good ends later. Between  Epenesa, Addison, Hughes, Basham, Rousseau and Obada the room looks really crowded. And then add to it that the staff likes Johnson.

I think you can start with Addison being gone...Can't see how he makes it through this upheaval...😎

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This makes absolutely no sense.  Even once Addison and Hughes are gone, you still have 3 DE's in two years.  I mean, what's the plan here?

I'm sorry, but I don't like this at all

I agree it makes zero sense to me as well. I’m hoping when Beane has another presser he can go into some kind of reasoning when we could use another corner or center since Morse might be one concussion away from being a veggie. 

• Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

My Noted on him. 

productive. Has good to elite power pass rush techniques and counters. Rushes with a plan and has a nice speed to power move up and under. He needs to develop a couple more pass rush moves and has issues identifying blocking scheme. Good athletic profile I think played too heavy at Wake. Extremely solid technique. Sets edge just ok needs to add functional strength against the run. 

the talking heads liked him a little more than I did. But there are a lot of splash plays in his tape. 

I really find it interesting Bills went and added 3 DEs this offseason to include using two premium picks back to back on DE. 

also interesting  is BOTH Bills DEs are good rushing from the Interior and the Edge. 

I really think they saw the way teams slide DEs inside to force quicker pressure.  I am expecting this means guys like Butler and especially Star may be in trouble as I could see them going with extra DEs and 3 techniques for DLine and maybe 1 space eater.

Clog the middle by attacking gaps with speed and size.  Let the LBs roam outside and use a 3rd Safety as run support/coverage.  

Run something similar to what was done to us to try and stop teams.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I love it, we adressed our #1 need x3 - Epenesa, Rosseau and Basham... LOVE IT!

Awesome now the next 3 picks are all CB’s 

• Like (+1) 1