RD 2, Pick 29 (61): Boogie Basham, DE (Wake Forest)

Draft pick approval  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

Beane really is great at what he does. Pass Rushers are always going to be a premium position in FA, and with the contract Josh has coming to him very soon, this is the best way to address it for the immediate future.  Also, they are signing and drafting guys with versatility to play any position along D-Line. AJ, Rousseau, Basham, Obada, and Oliver... 

Why would they draft offense? They went 13-3, punted the least of any team in the league, where as on the other side of the ball the one problem area was consistently generating pressure on the opposing QB.  

If Beane can put together a top 10 pass rush through the draft while paying Josh, Diggs and other crucial extensions as he managed this offseason, it's just a matter of when, not if they win a Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Where are all those posters that said Beane drafts BPA?  Another pass rusher!  I would have taken the center from OK because I don't think much of Morse.  But I've been beating the drum of needing to address the pass rush for three years so I can live with this move.

how do you know that wasn’t their BPA?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My Noted on him. 

productive. Has good to elite power pass rush techniques and counters. Rushes with a plan and has a nice speed to power move up and under. He needs to develop a couple more pass rush moves and has issues identifying blocking scheme. Good athletic profile I think played too heavy at Wake. Extremely solid technique. Sets edge just ok needs to add functional strength against the run. 

the talking heads liked him a little more than I did. But there are a lot of splash plays in his tape. 

I really find it interesting Bills went and added 3 DEs this offseason to include using two premium picks back to back on DE. 

also interesting  is BOTH Bills DEs are good rushing from the Interior and the Edge. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This kid can play,  love the pick.  You need pass rushers and i believe the Bills will let go of Addison.  Watch the full video,  plenty of good stuff on this dude. He just makes plays and we need play makers on defense

Edited by Niagara Dude

I put this in the main rd 2 thread but figured I'd post here.

Okay let me give you some inside info on Basham.  My son is a sophomore at Wake Forest and took an English Class with Carlos. He's a great kid, is huge and is really really good.  I saw him play live vs. Clemson and Louisville and he didn't look out of place vs Clemson and dominated Louisville.  I never considered him because i didn't think Beane would double dip.  Let me see if I can pull up a pic of him with my son.  My son is 5'10 160 and looks like a midget next to him. My son is thrilled, but Carlos isn't currently at Winton_salem, He's back home in Roanoke, Va.  Oddly my Mother and Sister live In Roanoke Va. I suppose this means I need to get a Basham jersey

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This is similar to baseball. In baseball you can never have enough pitchers. They can win you series after series. Because of that it’s a premium position. 

same thing with defensive end or edge. Pass rushers can win championships. Denver and Tampa are two recent examples

I thought they might go for someone like Ossai if they were to go for another pass rusher,  but clearly,  they like these bigger,  more versatile types instead.  Regardless,  I like it.   If you can't get a good CB,   try to be as disruptive up front as possible.  It worked for the Giants against Brady years ago and it worked for the Bucs against Mahomes.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Where are all those posters that said Beane drafts BPA?  Another pass rusher!  I would have taken the center from OK because I don't think much of Morse.  But I've been beating the drum of needing to address the pass rush for three years so I can live with this move.

I have issues with the pick ... but Basham was arguably the best player on the board regardless of position. He was my guess for who the bills would pick  at 30.

• Like (+1) 3

This is who I wanted all draft.

Didn't think we'd be able to nab Rousseau, so I wanted to trade out of first ans get Basham at 4x pick and keep our 61.

What a draft with both Rousseau and Basham Jr.

I am so stoked!!

• Like (+1) 9