A Look At The "Gregory Rousseau Could Be Aaron Maybin 2.0" Projections/Comparisons

Any comparison to Maybin is simply ridiculous.   Totally different players and situations.  Maybin was not even close to being a football player.,   He was perhaps the weakest individual (as a person) to ever be drafted in the first round.  He was a quilter, not a football player.  Rousseau is a football player.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why? Tall guys? Lol. There's nothing else similar about them. Hunt was a senior that did little in college. But yeah I guess that would be a worst case. 

Tall, yes. But also lean for their frame and when Hunt came out the knock was actually his lack of experience playing football as Hunt hadn't started playing until the college level. Both had impressive measurements and the potential for a rather high ceiling. The development of Rousseau will be fun to watch. I believe in McD and company to get him where he needs to be.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Maybin's playing weight was closer to 230.  He maxed his narrow frame for the combine gaining about 15 lbs between the end of the season and the combine. 

Jauronimo is dead on here.  I'll add that Maybin had no base and seemed to have not enough power down low.  What he did with his frame for the draft was a bit deceiving.

Another reason Rousseau could never be Maybin is that Maybin was drafted 11th (?).....and because we passed over Orakpo to get him.  Even if Rousseau is a bust, and I do not think he will be, those two reasons mean he could never be as big a bust as Maybin.

BTW, normally I don't like to play Captain Hindsight on draft picks, but Orakpo was the obvious, blinking, neon light choice that everyone could see would be a good NFL player....well, apparently not everyone.

Edited by Long Suffering Fan

40 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Any comparison to Maybin is simply ridiculous.   Totally different players and situations.  Maybin was not even close to being a football player.,   He was perhaps the weakest individual (as a person) to ever be drafted in the first round.  He was a quilter, not a football player.  Rousseau is a football player.

The comparison to Jason Taylor is much more appropriate. 

As much as some Bills fans like to live in the past, I'm surprised there aren't "rumors" of a qb controversy between Allen and Trubisky. Cause remember Rob Johnson that one time?

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Tall, yes. But also lean for their frame and when Hunt came out the knock was actually his lack of experience playing football as Hunt hadn't started playing until the college level. Both had impressive measurements and the potential for a rather high ceiling. The development of Rousseau will be fun to watch. I believe in McD and company to get him where he needs to be.

I'm just not big on comparisons too much. There's like no point to them, although they're fun. I've done it also. 

NFL network's Daniel Jeremiah said he had Rousseau as his best edge rusher and stated he would have been a top 15 pick with a better pro day. He stated he didn't get why others didn't have this kid rated higher. 

The guy opted out for the 2020 season as his mother was a nurse and he was supporting her or otherwise I think he would have been in much better shape for that pro day. 

Charles Davis hit it with a lot of picks in his final mock draft and had Buffalo taking Rousseau at 30. https://www.nfl.com/news/charles-davis-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-ja-marr-chase-reunites-with-joe-burrow-in-

Anyway, I look at Gregory Rousseau and see an inexperienced Mario Williams type who had he played in 2020 he would have been a top 10 pick or higher. 

Now it's up to Buffalo to develop this kid into that top pass rusher they desperately needed.   JMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can I just nutshell this thread by saying anyone comparing Rousseau to Maybin might want to pick up a favorite Soccer team...

Because football analysis is not their thing...

And that's not to say Rousseau is the next coming either...But seriously...Come on...😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

can compare stats to anybody. 

Gregory Rousseau

Height- 6’ 7”

Weight- 266 lbs

Arm Length- 34 3/4 inch arms (11 1/8 inch hands and a wingspan of 83 1/4 inches)

Stats- Career (14 games)- 59 total tackles, 19.5 TFL, 15.5 sacks, 8 PD, and 2 FF.

Combine Results- 4.68 40 Yd Dash (with a 1.57 10 Yd Split and a 2.71 20 Yd Split), 4.45 Shuttle, 7.50 Three Cone, 30" Vert Jump, 9'-7" Broad Jump, 21 Bench Reps.

Relative Athletic Score (RAS)- 7.75 (out of 10)

Daniel Hunter

Height- 6’ 5”

Weight- 252 lbs

Arm Length- 34 1/3 inch arms (10 1/2 inch hands)

Stats- Career (26 games)- 142 total tackles, 21 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 1 PD, and 2 FF.

Combine Results- 4.57 40 Yd Dash (with a 1.57 10 Yd Split and a 2.67 20 Yd Split),  (Shuttle, Three Cone, Vert Jump, Broad Jump, Bench Reps all N-A) 

Relative Athletic Score (RAS)- 9.88 (out of 10)