Trade up idea

Hermes

The way the draft is looking I think it would be beneficial to trade up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to ensure the Bills get contributors.

How this gets accomplished is a bit of a conundrum.. so I got to thinking how to make this work.

The idea that sprung to mind was to trade next year's 1st, this year's 2nd, 3rd, 5ths, and 6th for a 2nd next year, and a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this year.

It would have to be after a few picks go in the 2nd tonight but I think the value is close.  It would look something like this when it's all said and done

Bills receive        Team X (Carolina) receives

39                        61

73                        93

113                      161

2022 2nd            2022 1st

The draft is light on talent this year with all of the opt outs and next year should have higher end players available in the second compared to this year.  So the drop off isn't as significant losing a first next year since more (better) players will be available.  The likelihood of this happening is probably negligible but a man can dream

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, rayray808 said:

giving up future firsts has to be for better stuff than moving up in the 2nd IMO

I mean we'd be moving up in the 3rd too and getting an early 4th. 

I just feel like there might be a huge drop off in talent and this would prevent us from missing out

• Vomit 1

The mere mention of future 1sts kills this discussion immediately. Off the table. Not an option.

I wouldnt mind giving up most of the remaining picks this year to move up and get a guy tho.

I'd do this:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The mere mention of future 1sts kills this discussion immediately. Off the table. Not an option.

I wouldnt mind giving up most of the remaining picks this year to move up and get a guy tho.

I'd do this:

I don't hate it but then those picks absolutely need to be impact players. If it were for friermuth and then a CB2 whoever drops wouldn't be bad. I'd like to keep a 5th and 6th if possible for a 1t and a speedy offensive player

• Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, Hermes said:

The way the draft is looking I think it would be beneficial to trade up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to ensure the Bills get contributors.

How this gets accomplished is a bit of a conundrum.. so I got to thinking how to make this work.

The idea that sprung to mind was to trade next year's 1st, this year's 2nd, 3rd, 5ths, and 6th for a 2nd next year, and a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this year.

It would have to be after a few picks go in the 2nd tonight but I think the value is close.  It would look something like this when it's all said and done

113                      161

2022 2nd            2022 1st

The draft is light on talent this year with all of the opt outs and next year should have higher end players available in the second compared to this year.  So the drop off isn't as significant losing a first next year since more (better) players will be available.  The likelihood of this happening is probably negligible but a man can dream

If next years second round will have more talent than this years second, why in the world would we trade a first (which if the 2nd round is stacked, wouldn’t the 1st be even better) next year to draft in a “light” second round this year? You basically are saying you want to move up in an already weak class.

Edited by billsfan5121

Just now, Hermes said:

I don't hate it but then those picks absolutely need to be impact players. If it were for friermuth and then a CB2 whoever drops wouldn't be bad. I'd like to keep a 5th and 6th if possible for a 1t and a speedy offensive player

Agreed, and that's pretty much what I'm after.

Freiermuth and CB2. Or, CB2 and DT-1T.

Good to go.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I wouldnt do this.

there are going to be so many players in next years draft due to the extra year of eligibility due to covid.

I want to have as many picks as possible for next year

We'd still have the same amount of picks and with more players coming out. The talent drop off would probably be comparable from the trade down next year to the trade up this year

5 minutes ago, Hermes said:

We'd still have the same amount of picks and with more players coming out. The talent drop off would probably be comparable from the trade down next year to the trade up this year

I agree. I just think there will be a lot more depth at certain positions next year and you could get a guy in round 2 who could have been a round 1 guy the following year and so on

I could see combining our 2nd and 3rd (which is 3 players from being a 4th round pick) to get a player who would be a starter by mid-season.  I would also very willingly trade any of the remaining picks for a pick in the next higher round next year.  We would be ahead by [1] a round [2] by ranking in the round (we will be in the 28-32nd spot and move up to ? 10-15th?.

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why not just swap next years first for this years second?

I'm not thrilled about losing that pick completely. If we do it this way then we still have two 2nds to work with