Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson

Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Which AFC East Rookie QB are you most worried about? (State reasoning)

• Mac Jones
    • Zach Wilson
    • Neither. Both will bust.

Wow, the level of disrespect/arrogance shown in this thread is pretty amazing.  From the dismissive tone of most of these posts, you'd think the Bills had just won their third Super Bowl in a row.  Yes, we have the best QB in the division and a very solid roster, but this team is not invincible.  Teams can get better (or worse) in a hurry in the NFL. 

Mac Jones and especially Zach Wilson are really good QB prospects.  I know the gap between the Jets and the Bills seems enormous right now, but it looks like they just had a second strong draft in a row, and they have a new coach and a GM who appears to know what he's doing.  Most of the negative comments about Zack Wilson (to the extent that they are based on anything at all) seem to relate to his physical appearance as opposed to anyone who's done any actual film study of the guy. 

And if the Pats can get even average quarterbacking from Jones/Newton they could be a problem this year.  They still have a good defense and they are still a pretty well-coached team.  Miami didn't suck last year and they undoubtedly got stronger.  I don't think Tua has what it takes to become a top NFL QB, but he can improve, and if he does, the Dolphins will be a very tough out.  Sure, the Bills are still the favorite in the division, but it's not certain to be a cake-walk.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Wow, the level of disrespect/arrogance shown in this thread is pretty amazing.  From the dismissive tone of most of these posts, you'd think the Bills had just won their third Super Bowl in a row.  Yes, we have the best QB in the division and a very solid roster, but this team is not invincible.  Teams can get better (or worse) in a hurry in the NFL. 

Mac Jones and especially Zach Wilson are really good QB prospects.  I know the gap between the Jets and the Bills seems enormous right now, but it looks like they just had a second strong draft in a row, and they have a new coach and a GM who appears to know what he's doing.  Most of the negative comments about Zack Wilson (to the extent that they are based on anything at all) seem to relate to his physical appearance as opposed to anyone who's done any actual film study of the guy. 

And if the Pats can get even average quarterbacking from Jones/Newton they could be a problem this year.  They still have a good defense and they are still a pretty well-coached team.  Miami didn't suck last year and they undoubtedly got stronger.  I don't think Tua has what it takes to become a top NFL QB, but he can improve, and if he does, the Dolphins will be a very tough out.  Sure, the Bills are still the favorite in the division, but it's not certain to be a cake-walk.  

Sir hand in your Bills fan card. Only irrational takes are allowed. 

Please step this way and stop struggling. 

giphy.gif

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I am really curious to see New England now that they're getting a lot of guys back from Covid and added a lot of pieces in free agency as well. I think the offensive talent on their roster is still just flat out bad and they were bad last year too. I would expect the defense to return to being at least good if not great but I'm still skeptical they can put up enough points to really be that much of a problem.

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I am really curious to see New England now that they're getting a lot of guys back from Covid and added a lot of pieces in free agency as well. I think the offensive talent on their roster is still just flat out bad and they were bad last year too. I would expect the defense to return to being at least good if not great but I'm still skeptical they can put up enough points to really be that much of a problem.

I agree that if Cam Newton is their QB and he plays anything like he did last year, they won't be a threat.  I do believe Mac Jones can be a significant upgrade, though.

Edited by mannc

3 hours ago, mannc said:

second strong draft in a row

The 1st 2 picks didn't play half the season. Becton looked good when he did and Mims showed some promise, but the rest of their picks were not very good. Davis and Zuniga had trouble getting on the field on a 2-14 team. Perina may not make their roster this year and it's not a difficult roster to make at RB. Morgan will never see the field. Clark is still injured I think. Bryce Hall showed some flashes and end up being decent, but he was hardly impressive. 

So if drafting 1 player he's going to be a starter (if he doesn't get injured...again) is a strong 'draft' then I guess that statement is true. Otherwise, it seems a bit much. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The 1st 2 picks didn't play half the season. Becton looked good when he did and Mims showed some promise, but the rest of their picks were not very good. Davis and Zuniga had trouble getting on the field on a 2-14 team. Perina may not make their roster this year and it's not a difficult roster to make at RB. Morgan will never see the field. Clark is still injured I think. Bryce Hall showed some flashes and end up being decent, but he was hardly impressive. 

So if drafting 1 player he's going to be a starter (if he doesn't get injured...again) is a strong 'draft' then I guess that statement is true. Otherwise, it seems a bit much. 

I think drafting a guy who looks like a dominant LT is by itself a successful draft.  And as you point out, Mims looked pretty good when he was out there.  I would expect Davis to start this year.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think drafting a guy who looks like a dominant LT is by itself a successful draft.  And as you point out, Mims looked pretty good when he was out there.  I would expect Davis to start this year.

If you draft 1 starter a year then you're not going to be a very good team. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, mannc said:

I've stated this also. Big turnarounds happen all the time with new QB and/or coaching staff. That's what makes the NFL so great. The parity of the league. How many times have we seen teams completely turn it around year after year? 

Maybe it's because of a bit of PTSD, but as long as BB is in New England I will never count them out. Mac Jones is a legit prospect as well as Zach Wilson and I feel like them odds of BOTH of them busting are slim.

I can remember the Dolphins going 1-15 in 2007 and then the following year they add a still accurate Chad Pennington w/ a fried arm then go 11-5 winning the division w/ pretty much the same roster as before.

There are endless examples after doing a quick Google search. It's very important that the Bills continue to draft well and keep pace w/ the rest of the divison. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I am really curious to see New England now that they're getting a lot of guys back from Covid and added a lot of pieces in free agency as well. I think the offensive talent on their roster is still just flat out bad and they were bad last year too. I would expect the defense to return to being at least good if not great but I'm still skeptical they can put up enough points to really be that much of a problem.

How if they upgraded at TE and Wide out? Their offensive talent last year was dirt poor bad, just what they did alone in free agency was an improvement to their offense. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

On 4/30/2021 at 2:14 PM, Gugny said:

If Bill Belichick has proven anything, it's that he's a phenomenal talent evaluator and drafter.

Mac Jones is going to be a superstar.

tee-rollin, trollin, trollin...keep that gugny trollin

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not really worried about either of these two. I’d be much more worried if Lawrence, Lance, or Fields were in the east. I think Wilson is going to get easily rattled in the NFL. He’s also very slight in frame and would be surprised if that body type can take the hits at the NFL level. I think Jones might be okay with McDaniels, but he also has cement in his shoes and is not that physically gifted over all.

43 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

How if they upgraded at TE and Wide out? Their offensive talent last year was dirt poor bad, just what they did alone in free agency was an improvement to their offense. 

It's an improvement for sure but it's still bad relative to most teams in the NFL. I'm not really convinced that they have the talent at the skill positions to prop up what I believe are two bad starting QBs at this point in time.

Edited by DCOrange

On 4/30/2021 at 11:44 AM, dorquemada said:

Mac Jones was the one guy i didnt want going to the Patriots.  Time will tell I guess but whatever he's lacking in athleticism he makes up for in accuracy and good decision making.  Sound like anyone we know?  He has some big shoes to fill but my hot take is that he'll probably be considered the #2 QB from this draft in 5 years

Agreed.  I think Jones is a slightly less athletic version of Joe Burrow.  

• Agree 1

I didn't vote because I wasn't comfortable with the choices.   I'm not worried about either QB much but I'm not willing to predict that both will bust.  From past drafts, I expect that 1 QB from the 5 who were drafted in the first round will turn out to be a franchise QB for most of his career.  I think that probably another 1 or 2 others will become competent NFL QBs for at least part of their careers.   It's likely 2 or 3 will be, at best, disappointments if not outright busts.

As Bills fans, I think we can see first hand that sometimes the QB who looks like the least likely to succeed can turn out to be the best of his draft class while the most highly touted QBs in a draft class can crash and burn even before the end of their rookie contracts.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:45 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Garoppolo = still in the league 7 years and running, led his team to the Super Bowl and has a career 36-12 record

Brissett = still in the league 5 years and running. One of the top back ups in the NFL and a good role player for the Colts 

Stidham sucked? He hasn't even played so how would you know? 

Hoyer= had an 11 year career in the NFL

Matt Cassel = had a 13 year in the NFL 

Tom Brady = Best QB of all time 

Mac Jones = to be determined

6/10 of QBs that BB drafted outplayed their draft status considering the rounds they were taken in and the majority played well past the average 3 year shelf of an average NFL player. I'd actually say he's pretty good at developing QBs, but that's just my opinion and please don't tell me I haven't done the research.

Stidham has played. And he has been terrible every time he has touched the field. So terrible, in fact, that they eventually chose to just stick with Cam Newton, who was the worst starting QB in the league last year and threw more interceptions than TD's.

• Like (+1) 3