Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson

Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Which AFC East Rookie QB are you most worried about? (State reasoning)

• Mac Jones
    • Zach Wilson
    • Neither. Both will bust.

What's nice about Jones is that he'll take time.  Despite all of the "big moves" they made in FA, it will likely not amount to much for the '21 season - they'll either have Cam, who will be better w/ the new weapons but hardly scary, or a rookie QB who has really never been pressured by an opposing defense.

Beyond that, they'll have to go through the same thing we went through w/ new QB's - you really have to invest 2-3 years, regardless. And if they don't pan out, it's wash, rinse, repeat.

I was hoping they wouldn't get Garropolo, who could take much more advantage of their new additions if he stayed healthy, and certainly hoping that they wouldn't get Rogers, after yesterday's news.

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Jones was one of my under-the-radar QB prospects this year. With the Saban-Bellichick connection, I'm sure he has the full scoop of what he can do. Jones is prototypical size and can make every throw, therefore he will be able to open up the Patriots offense.

I have absolutely zero fear of Mac Jones.

Bill Belichick has benefitted from having a great QB for 20 years. No other QB they have "developed" has ever turned into a competent starter.

Remember when we were all scared of what Bill could do with Cam, a former league MVP?

Don't let the legacy fool you.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Zach Wilson also has to start day 1, no alternative there.

Why even bother playing cam? He sucked last year and they just drafted a QB very high. It makes no sense unless they are actively trying to not win 

Besides Lawrence I think MJ is the most pro-ready of that rookie class too. Bellichick can say whatever the heck he wants but Cam Newton will not be the starter come September.

10 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Besides Lawrence I think MJ is the most pro-ready of that rookie class too. Bellichick can say whatever the heck he wants but Cam Newton will not be the starter come September.

If he can't beat out Cam that'd be wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I have absolutely zero fear of Mac Jones.

Bill Belichick has benefitted from having a great QB for 20 years. No other QB they have "developed" has ever turned into a competent starter.

Remember when we were all scared of what Bill could do with Cam, a former league MVP?

Don't let the legacy fool you.

Lol who feared a broken down Cam Newton? Certainly not me. Maybe 5 years ago?

New England had NO NEED to develop a QB when they had Brady. What team has 2 legitimate starting QBs at once? 

And besides, Bill and the Pats have developed a good number of quality back-ups along w/ Jimmy G and Bledsoe who both led their teams to the Super Bowl. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Right, the SEC, home of the famous cupcake schedule.

By that metric i am curious what would be a difficult schedule in the original poster's opinion

By the fact that the talen of Alabama is still head and shoulders above those other SEC teams. Did you even watch ho many Bama players went in the first round last night?

Maybe LSD did make a comeback.

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Lol who feared a broken down Cam Newton? Certainly not me. Maybe 5 years ago?

New England had NO NEED to develop a QB when they had Brady. What team has 2 legitimate starting QBs at once? 

And besides, Bill and the Pats have developed a good number of quality back-ups along w/ Jimmy G and Bledsoe who both led their teams to the Super Bowl. 

Belichick developed Drew Bledsoe? That's a new one.

Bledsoe played for the Pats 1993-2001. Belichick was an assistant for the Patriots one year in 1996 and then didn't come back until 2000.

Not sure if you watched San Francisco, but Jimmy Garoppolo was the reason they DIDN'T win the Super Bowl. 

Here are the QB's drafted by Belichick the past 20 years:

2002: Round 4: Rohan Davey - sucked

2003: Round 6: Kliff Kinsgsbury - sucked

2005: Round 7: Matt Cassel - sucked

2008: Round 3: Kevin O'Connell - sucked

2010: Round 7: Zac Robinson - sucked

2011: Round 3: Ryan Mallett - sucked

2014: Round 2: Jimmy Garoppolo - average at best

2016: Round 3: Jacoby Brissett - average at best

2018: Round 7: Danny Etling - sucked

2019: Round 4: Jarrett Stidham - sucked

You clearly haven't done your research, my friend.

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Jones was one of my under-the-radar QB prospects this year. With the Saban-Bellichick connection, I'm sure he has the full scoop of what he can do. Jones is prototypical size and can make every throw, therefore he will be able to open up the Patriots offense.

Its one thing to play on the best team in college football and throw to wide open receivers.

In the NFL they are not Alabama open unless someone falls or really blows an assignment.

The other thing about Mac is I don't see an elite NFL arm it looks  JAQ....just an average QB

We needed another option in the poll

The we need not worry about either for 3 or so years.

17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Bledsoe played for the Pats 1993-2001. Belichick was an assistant for the Patriots one year in 1996 and then didn't come back until 2000.

Not sure if you watched San Francisco, but Jimmy Garoppolo was the reason they DIDN'T win the Super Bowl. 

This is not true. He missed a would be touchdown yes, but he was not the reason why SF lost. Shannahan being Shanahan was the reason. He had the Chiefs on the ropes and spent too much time over thinking the situation after being up. Same thing he did as a offensive coordinator  for the falcons when they were in the SB.

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Its one thing to play on the best team in college football and throw to wide open receivers.

In the NFL they are not Alabama open unless someone falls or really blows an assignment.

The other thing about Mac is I don't see an elite NFL arm it looks  JAQ....just an average QB

This can be said about every rookie QB though. Alabama is no slouch on defense which he faced in practice and Ohio State defense did beat the crap out of Trevor Lawrence before facing Alabama and Jones for the championship. He's tested enough. Whether that will pan out in the NFL..i have no clue.....I still wanted Fields. 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't like the chances for either one. I think Wilson is being extremely overrated, but that's not why I think either of them struggle. The AFC East is viper's nest for rookie QBs right now. A rookie is going to face 3 of 4 very good defensive minds (4 of 4 if you count going against them in camp and practice):

Bill Belichick

Sean McDermott

Brian Flores

Robert Saleh

These guys have each had a top ten ranked defense within the last 4 years. Excluding Flores, they have each had a top 5 defense (Flores 6th). They all are good at creating confusion and sowing chaos. I don't think there's a worse division to be a rookie QB in as 6 games a year, you're facing one of the top defensive minds in football. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Garoppolo = still in the league 7 years and running, led his team to the Super Bowl and has a career 36-12 record

Brissett = still in the league 5 years and running. One of the top back ups in the NFL and a good role player for the Colts 

Stidham sucked? He hasn't even played so how would you know? 

Hoyer= had an 11 year career in the NFL

Matt Cassel = had a 13 year in the NFL 

Tom Brady = Best QB of all time 

Mac Jones = to be determined

6/10 of QBs that BB drafted outplayed their draft status considering the rounds they were taken in and the majority played well past the average 3 year shelf of an average NFL player. I'd actually say he's pretty good at developing QBs, but that's just my opinion and please don't tell me I haven't done the research.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’m not worried about either.  Wilson is playing for the Jets, therefore, unlikely to succeed at a high level.  Jones may be fine, but there’s nothing about him that strikes fear into anyone.  Wilson has pretty elite arm, but hasn’t faced real competition and is going to, let’s say it again, the Jets. 

The exact same thing was said about Josh Allen. Just saying lol

21 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Garoppolo = still in the league 7 years and running, led his team to the Super Bowl and has a career 36-12 record

Brissett = still in the league 5 years and running. One of the top back ups in the NFL and a good role player for the Colts 

Stidham sucked? He hasn't even played so how would you know? 

Hoyer= had an 11 year career in the NFL

Matt Cassel = had a 13 year in the NFL 

Tom Brady = Best QB of all time 

Mac Jones = to be determined

6/10 of QBs that BB drafted outplayed their draft status considering the rounds they were taken in and the majority played well past the average 3 year shelf of an average NFL player. I'd actually say he's pretty good at developing QBs, but that's just my opinion and please don't tell me I haven't done the research.

Is this a joke? Stidham played last year and was garbage any time he was in.

Are we really giving participation trophies to 2nd and 3rd round picks?

Nobody on that list is an above average quarterback. Period. 

San Francisco drafted a QB at #3 because the current guy isn’t good enough and he’s the best out of all of Belichick’s failures.

How are you arguing any of this??

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You need to be able to grow facial hair of you want to lead men on a field. 

They picked Darnold who wasn't a leader and now go for a kid who looks like he forgot to hit puberty and will be timid in the face of real men

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Wilson creeps me out, he's like something from a teen Disney romcom and I'd bet my bank account he waxes his legs and bikini line. 

Saying that, he's gifted and though I'd like to laugh at the Jets, they were doing the same thing when we drafted Allen. With the right coaching and the right environment you never know what might happen. Of course it would be hilarious to see him fail so I can see the crying on gang green

Darnold 2.0