Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson

Mac Jones vs Zach Wilson  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Which AFC East Rookie QB are you most worried about? (State reasoning)

• Mac Jones
    • Zach Wilson
    • Neither. Both will bust.

Mac Jones was the one guy i didnt want going to the Patriots.  Time will tell I guess but whatever he's lacking in athleticism he makes up for in accuracy and good decision making.  Sound like anyone we know?  He has some big shoes to fill but my hot take is that he'll probably be considered the #2 QB from this draft in 5 years

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, uninja said:

I think Mac Jones is going to have a rude awakening playing in the NFL. This isn’t the cupcake schedule Bama plays every year and then waltzes into the CFP and to the final. 

Alabama doesn't actually play a cupcake schedule. I expect Jones will be good. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

Mac Jones was the one guy i didnt want going to the Patriots.  Time will tell I guess but whatever he's lacking in athleticism he makes up for in accuracy and good decision making.  Sound like anyone we know?  He has some big shoes to fill but my hot take is that he'll probably be considered the #2 QB from this draft in 5 years

I fully agree. Athleticism is nice, but it's not as if has a bad arm. It's certainly good enough, and he can make all the throws.  This isn't Christian Ponder we're talking about. I feel like that's the unstated comp here and it's just wrong. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

Yeah the same thought did come to me but then I was thinking how many duds they've drafted through their glory years, plus even though they like to act like geniuses for drafting Tom, even Bill passed on him five times. It was a total shot in the dark that happened to win them the lottery. 

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Zach Wilson

Mac Jones

Tua

lol

Not worried about any of them. Actually pretty thrilled that there are possibly TWO Bama QBs starting in our division.

Agreed Dr Dawk.  Jones gets any pressure he is done.  If Jarrett Stidham had the receivers at Auburn that Mac Jones had at Alabama he would have put up just as good of numbers.  And Stidham can actually scramble some.  Jones is in for a rude awakening.  That was an arrogant pick by Belichik.  The Belichik legend is Tom Brady....  That's quite a QB room that they have now w Jones Stidham and Cam.  War Eagle v Roll Tide in New England.  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I fully agree. Athleticism is nice, but it's not as if has a bad arm. It's certainly good enough, and he can make all the throws.  This isn't Christian Ponder we're talking about. I feel like that's the unstated comp here and it's just wrong. 

Lazy hot takes by the TV clownshow seem to amount to...mac jones cant be good because he played on a good team.  Now I have this crazy idea, maybe Mac Jones made Devonta & Jaylen better, as much as the other way around.   The Clowns couldn't fall over themselves fast enough to declare Tua Tagoviola the next coming, and Mac Jones wrecked all of Tua's single season records with much the same team.  One might argue that Tua had better surrounding talent at Alabama.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_002! said:

Yea something tells me no matter who the Pats drafted plenty of Blils fans will down play it. Even if it was Jesus himself. 

"Well, Jesus Christ may be the Son of God and so on but what's his 40 time?  Maybe it was the Apostles that did all the work.  This isn't the NFL from 30 AD.  BUST"

• Haha (+1) 2

Personally I think Wilson is the more exciting prospect, but he’s on the Jets who give me little confidence in his development.  Although they at least did the same thing I did when I had Jets in the TSW Mock and draft what I think is a stud prospect with future prop bowl written all over him in AVT to finally give their young QB some protection.  They seem to have learned their lesson in how they botched Darnolds development.  

Mac Jones has gone to a superior organization though and honestly is a great system for his best traits.  So I would say I think Mac Jones landed in the ideal spot and has the most potential to reach his ceiling than anyone on the Jets, even though I think Wilson as an individual is the more exciting prospect.

But:  Overall, I have a feeling when we look back at this draft class in 5 years, Trey Lance is going to emerge as the best QB from this class, even better than Trevor.  He reminds me so much of Josh Allen in terms of physical gifts, but also intelligence, work ethic, and how much he can be coached up.  There are traits you can’t teach, things people like Mahomes and Allen have that are just what separate them from the pack.  And I feel like Lance has those things and he’s going to a great place too where he will get great coaching and chance to develop.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think we saw the same thing this draft that we always do - 1 great "sure thing" QB, and 3-4 others who got hyped into higher draft positions but who all have big flaws.

Maybe 1-2 more pan out, but I don't think Jones is among them.  A truly impossible prospect to gauge - incredibly well protected, and with the best receivers in college football to throw to.

He has faced no real pressure, and zero adversity.  Not worried about him at all.

Probably more worried about Wilson, but the Jets have so much more work to do elsewhere to be a legit contender.

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

"Well, Jesus Christ may be the Son of God and so on but what's his 40 time?  Maybe it was the Apostles that did all the work.  This isn't the NFL from 30 AD.  BUST"

Don't need a 40 time when you can walk on water. 😉

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Yea something tells me no matter who the Pats drafted plenty of Blils fans will down play it. Even if it was Jesus himself. 

Conversely, as someone who peruses Patriots boards from time to time, I saw a complete about-face from Pats fans on Jones.

Most Pats fans wanted Fields. As soon as Jones was picked, the narrative became "we got the guy who was supposed to go #3 at #15!"

1 hour ago, uninja said:

I think Mac Jones is going to have a rude awakening playing in the NFL. This isn’t the cupcake schedule Bama plays every year and then waltzes into the CFP and to the final. 

They played and defeated Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Notre Dame and Ohio State. 

Did LSD make a comeback?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm not sure who to be more worried about in terms of personal welfare.  Wilson is in the media center of the globe under a microscope and Jones is going to enter a QB room with a true diva in a Marvel comics superhero body with huge personality to match.  Newton may not be able to throw any more, but he's still a former NFL MVP, led his team to the SB, looks like a Greek god, etc.  Look at Jones without a shirt on and then Cam.... lol

The most effective QB on their team might turn out to be Stidham, who will be traded at some point.  

Edited by P Riv
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Conversely, as someone who peruses Patriots boards from time to time, I saw a complete about-face from Pats fans on Jones.

Most Pats fans wanted Fields. As soon as Jones was picked, the narrative became "we got the guy who was supposed to go #3 at #15!"

I wanted Fields as well but the Pats like all the things Jones is capable of (accurate and intelligent) those aren't bad attributes., so we will see.

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

They played and defeated Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Notre Dame and Ohio State. 

Did LSD make a comeback?

Right, the SEC, home of the famous cupcake schedule.

By that metric i am curious what would be a difficult schedule in the original poster's opinion

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

Yeah, that SEC is cupcake-central...great point.