Cynthia Freund: Day's Five Top Value Picks includes Rousseau

This is an excerpt from this article.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-justin-fields-rashawn-slater-among-day-1-s-top-value-picks

"The Bills brilliantly add versatility and youth at a true value with this pick, considering Rousseau was No. 16 on my board. Tracking his 2019 data (he opted out in 2020) shows he lined up all over the defensive front and was productive in each spot. From the first game to his last that season, Rousseau steadily improved his average time to pressure (which was adjusted for alignment). Rousseau checks both the "ideal" boxes of measurement for body mechanics at the position (low center of gravity, excellent body control). His résumé also includes playing safety, as well as offense, in high school, which suggests we haven't even seen what his development ceiling looks like. Defensive-minded Sean McDermott likely understands this puzzle piece extremely well, and the fit is a great predictor of January football in Buffalo. Rousseau adds 0.65 wins to the 2021 Bills."

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Good thing then, that her formula is not spitting out project first rounders. He'll have some impact this year. How much is tough to calculate, but he'll play.

I agree that 0.65 is high, probably. But it's interesting and thoughtful. WAR is fine in football. It's not precise but there's thought and method behind it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

So we're already hating on him? I thought it was a great pick.

People are likely hating on the level of defensive investment after a mediocre year on that side of the ball.  

If Addison isn’t on this team, I think Rousseau is mostly lauded as a great pick.   

I love Beane/McDermott but the amount of investment on the defensive side of the ball (especially given the return last year) is starting to wear on some. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is an excerpt from this article.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-justin-fields-rashawn-slater-among-day-1-s-top-value-picks

"The Bills brilliantly add versatility and youth at a true value with this pick, considering Rousseau was No. 16 on my board. Tracking his 2019 data (he opted out in 2020) shows he lined up all over the defensive front and was productive in each spot. From the first game to his last that season, Rousseau steadily improved his average time to pressure (which was adjusted for alignment). Rousseau checks both the "ideal" boxes of measurement for body mechanics at the position (low center of gravity, excellent body control). His résumé also includes playing safety, as well as offense, in high school, which suggests we haven't even seen what his development ceiling looks like. Defensive-minded Sean McDermott likely understands this puzzle piece extremely well, and the fit is a great predictor of January football in Buffalo. Rousseau adds 0.65 wins to the 2021 Bills."

We need 2.0 more wins.

This is 1/3 of that in a single pick💪
New Math? Maybe, but a man can dream.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

People are likely hating on the level of defensive investment after a mediocre year on that side of the ball.  

If Addison isn’t on this team, I think Rousseau is mostly lauded as a great pick.   

I love Beane/McDermott but the amount of investment on the defensive side of the ball (especially given the return last year) is starting to wear on some. 

Understandable, but last year was an outlier which make it difficult to quantify.

However, it is inarguable that we need more output from the front seven in terms of pass rush. 
     If you watched the Super Bowl you know this to be true.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Amount of investment?   You invest where needed.  We have a top tier offense and a mid tier defense.   You have two DEs well over 30 with a year left on contract.  Look at the backups.  This player fills a position of need and he maybe a BPA too.   

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  Especially coupled with some of the offensive talent we could of selected. 

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Back in my day the women cooked dinner

And they did it with bare feet damn it...,

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I didn’t sign Addison last year.  I didn’t draft a bunch of high picks in the Front 7.  

It’s ok to hold a really good FO accountable in an area they haven’t been that good.   

They’ve been elite almost everywhere else.

Sure, invest where it’s needed, but KC exposed our offense and instead of doing what they did when exposed by Tampa Bay.. so far.. we’ve decided continuity and development is the answer.   Maybe it is. Maybe we draft some offense tonight and people like me will shut up about it.  

So pray tell, are you so worked up because OBD won’t take/return your calls? 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So pray tell, are you so worked up because OBD won’t take/return your calls? 😂 

I think they’ve done a great job overall.  

Simply frustrated by the need to go defense after investing so much into that side of the ball already.