The Bills defensive line -- features FIVE first rounders now

On offense we have a QB who makes the machine go and we went out and got him the best friend , a true #1 WR, plus one of the best slot WR's in football, we have a decent OL and 2 capable RB's. The defense lost us that championship game against KC imo, again it's just my opinion. Not putting pressure on Mahomes was the reason he literally picked us apart. Rosseau was a great pick up I'd now seriously address the CB position and Samuel, again imo is the best zone corner or top 3 in this draft class and would be a huge addition, this is where I'd trade up and nail 2 of our biggest needs. 

Add in a recent 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 1st rounder at MLB.

No more excuses. 

If this defense doesn't take a huge step this year then we really need to start questioning McBeane's ability to assemble a quality defense. 

If Edmunds and Oliver suck because they need a stud 1T to be successful then, newsflash, they just suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Process said:

Add in a recent 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 1st rounder at MLB.

No more excuses. 

If this defense doesn't take a huge step this year then we really need to start questioning McBeane's ability to assemble a quality defense. 

I don't think you'll find much argument there. 

36 minutes ago, Process said:

If Edmunds and Oliver suck because they need a stud 1T to be successful then, newsflash, they just suck. 

On the other hand, this is silliness.  It's like saying "if your center sucks because he needs decent guards to be successful, newsflash he just sucks"

Funny how much better Eric Woods looked in 2015 playing between Incognito and Miller than he looked in 2014 playing between Pears and Urbik

Trivia: Miller was much maligned here, but he is still in the league and started 14 games last season.  Urbik and Pears, not so much.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Gregory Rousseau (Bills)

Jerry Hughes (Indy)

Vernon Butler (Carolina)

Star Lotulelei (Carolina)

Ed Oliver (Bills)

That's a helluva lot of first rounders on the d-line. There are no first rounders on the o-line. 

I get a little bit of an Aaron Maybin vibe in regards to Rouseau so I'll admit that it scares me. Tall, lanky defensive end w/ one monster year, but has loads & loads of potential.

Regardless, Beane and McD have no more excuses. With five first rounders AND a mid-second rounder, they better start producing!

All in all, I have faith that we will have an efficient pass rush coming this season. I can't wait! 🙂

57 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Id take our WR’s, and Tonyan is a threat we hope Knox can become, but Rodgers - like Allen - has a good OL, and unlike Allen, has a running game with a beast running back.

If, and I certainly hope to be proven wrong tonight, but if we dont invest more in offense, I’m thinking Daboll and Allen could justifiably sideeye this off-season ..... and of course I don’t mean they’d be angry, but perhaps, mindful, that no real investment was made.   

This is why I started to really get on board the ETN train, run more with a lead to grind clock and reduce allen and wr wear and tear,  but to also keep defenses honest and have a back who is really good running and catching.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I get a little bit of an Aaron Maybin vibe in regards to Rouseau so I'll admit that it scares me. Tall, lanky defensive end w/ one monster year, but has loads & loads of potential.

Regardless, Beane and McD have no more excuses. With five first rounders AND a mid-second rounder, they better start producing!

All in all, I have faith that we will have an efficient pass rush coming this season. I can't wait! 🙂

A bit if a difference in draft spots though

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ed Oliver is welcome to show up any time he wants now and help this team. 

With all these bodies, the Bills could trade him prior to 2021 season.

Even I'm willing to give him one more year. But REALLY need to see something, anything out of him

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is why I started to really get on board the ETN train, run more with a lead to grind clock and reduce allen and wr wear and tear,  but to also keep defenses honest and have a back who is really good running and catching.  

Agreed, but not sure I’d be on board with tossing in a 2nd or 3rd to get to where we need to have drafted him.  

Elijah Moore was the guy I wanted there once Etienne came off the board.  

Id like Rousseau if it didn’t seem like an annual rite of passage for Bills fans to watch this team draft defense early.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

People act like the Packers slighted Rodgers by going heavy defense but is his offense that much worse than ours?  

We did a great job getting Allen help the past two years, but to only replace Brown with Sanders this off-season would be Green Bay like behavior.  

I was/am definitely expecting a playmaker when we’re asking Allen to beat teams consistently going 4 wide because our proven talent resides in pass pro and 4 wrs, with “hope” we can develop a running game/tight end play. 

Short answer is yes.

I would imagine that Rodgers looks at the fact that they've essentially invested nothing on the offensive side of the ball for at least the past 5 years now and despite that, the defense has never been great either.

I think there's a fair argument to be made that when you have a QB like Rodgers that can elevate his teammates, it makes sense to try to stack the other side of the ball so that you end up with an elite offense and elite defense. But they've tried to do that and still end up with a below-average defense almost every year. The few early picks they've spent on offense haven't worked out either.

Their last 5 drafts they've spent their Day 1 and Day 2 picks on:

2016: DT, OT (who has never been a starter), OLB
2017: CB, S, DT
2018: CB, CB, LB
2019: LB, S, C, TE (who has barely gotten snaps)
2020: QB, RB (who was a reach at the time and is now locked in as a backup), TE (who was generally a healthy scratch).

Their offensive weapons are still decent but the WR group is very bland after Adams and they opted not to address it all last year when it was considered one of the deepest classes you'll ever have and instead basically punted all of their picks.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

No trades, no Fa signings.  Aaron Rodgers issues are from an organization run without an owner.  The end of the day Kraft told Bill to stand down to Brady.   To never draft a first rd skill player in Aarons career is shameful.  Not making a move to increase the offense the past 2 years is shameful.  

Jordan Love aside, they added 5 offensive players in last years draft along with Funchess and Austin in FA. Year before that was very weak offensively, but they added a starting guard in FA and nabbed Elgton Jenkins in the draft who made the probowl last year. They certainly haven’t gone all in like the Bucs did after acquiring Brady, but Rodgers was playing with more talent than most other QBs… two all pros and a probowler on the offensive line, all pro WR, pro bowl RB, and a TE that should have been in the probowl. There aren’t many teams he could go to who have more talent on that side of the ball, especially teams that are saddled with a top end QB contract. 

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Even I'm willing to give him one more year. But REALLY need to see something, anything out of him

Unfortunately, instead of being a physical mismatch, Oliver has been undersized.

If you could get a 4th or 5th for him, might be about time to ship him.

That's a big cost for no production though, so how likely is that?  

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Unfortunately, instead of being a physical mismatch, Oliver has been undersized.

You can't ship out a No. 9 overall pick two seasons after he shows up. That's silly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

nah, too much invested at this point. But if he registers another 3 sack season, it's time for him to go.

Id take our WR’s, and Tonyan is a threat we hope Knox can become, but Rodgers - like Allen - has a good OL, and unlike Allen, has a running game with a beast running back.

The Packers had a top-10 rushing attack, no question on that point. 

If, and I certainly hope to be proven wrong tonight, but if we dont invest more in offense, I’m thinking Daboll and Allen could justifiably sideeye this off-season ..... and of course I don’t mean they’d be angry, but perhaps, mindful, that no real investment was made.   

I can't quite agree on the "no real investment".  I think most people around the league view Sanders, even long in the tooth, as an upgrade to Brown.  He's not as fast (when Brown is fully healthy), but health seems to be an issue for Brown and he's a good route runner.  Sanders can make a DB leave his jock on the field and he's a real "open when covered" threat.

Sanders was the only FA signed with a real investment of cap dollars.

And of course, re-signing Williams, Feliciano, and Boettger, as well as stocking up on a couple FA OLmen and Hollister, can't be viewed as "imaginary" investment.

Backup QB was also an investment but Allen I'm sure hopes that never comes into play

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Jordan Love aside, they added 5 offensive players in last years draft along with Funchess and Austin in FA. Year before that was very weak offensively, but they added a starting guard in FA and nabbed Elgton Jenkins in the draft who made the probowl last year. They certainly haven’t gone all in like the Bucs did after acquiring Brady, but Rodgers was playing with more talent than most other QBs… two all pros and a probowler on the offensive line, all pro WR, pro bowl RB, and a TE that should have been in the probowl. There aren’t many teams he could go to who have more talent on that side of the ball, especially teams that are saddled with a top end QB contract. 

Funchess and Austin is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for talent.  I get it that every year you can snapshot the draft and explain it. Every year?  Talks about it publicly and they trade up into the first rd for a Qb.  Rodgers is right to be put out.  If GB had an owner they wouldnt alienate him.  Imo the brass looks at Rodgers as he is easily replacable.  Now they are saving face with the fan base. 

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

3 reasons I like Rousseau:

1 - it rhymes with Gastineau, and Mark was a damn good player

2 - it ends with Seau, and Junior was a damn good player

3 - it rhymes with Larusso, and Daniel was damn good at karate

"Gregory Rousseau is gonna play? Gregory Rousseau's gonna play!"

Name me one Frenchman who has had a positive impact on the NFL.