The Bills defensive line -- features FIVE first rounders now

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll is likely showing this to Beane right now with various threats if he takes a corner in round 2

It’s a great point Yolo. How much has to be invested , esp in the d line , before we get production or enough is enough?  Yet people were complaining we should not use a pick to get adequate talent in our backfield just because we spent two prior third round picks on RBs with moderate production. Pittsburgh and even The Jags realized the two talented backs in yesterday’s first round, and despite holes in their lines they still saw the need to have speed and someone with good hands out of the backfield. Rather than take the 5 th rated project edge rusher with only one productive season ( and many pointed out his sacks were bolstered with coverage sacks and against inferior interior lineman he won’t see in the NFL; epenesa  overpowered people in college too only to get a wake up call last year against NFL talent), why not try going up a few spots to add to Allen’s weapons and help protect him from being our leading rusher ?  Maybe Williams will still be possible but I would think he will be gone by 61 as many are predicting the Fins to take him early in the second round. 

Our backs were third round picks for a reason, and even Jenkins was available when we picked to help bolster the O line, yet we once again go d lineman with a first round pick!  We still have no one who can cover Kelce , Tampa’s  gronk, and the Pats are loading up on Tight ends as well , so if we insisted on drafting d, why not take the BPA like Beane insists he does;  try to be creative with JOK for example ( ranked 15 th overall by most draft gurus, and admittedly wanted to be a Bill) who can cover tight ends,can blitz, could play as a third safety in a look that Tampa used successfully ( casserly’s analysis)  and was still available?  . Beane went with a position of perceived need which may eventually catch up with us as we pass over better athletes.  I hope I’m wrong, and he produces this year but McD has a tendency to not give a lot of snaps to rookies ( see epenesa), plus we have a known d line rotation inherently limiting his snaps. I would argue an O lineman, someone like JOK, or even a back Williams would all play more snaps with larger benefit NOW as we push for a run at the SB. Value wise I think we could have gotten a similarly productive edge with our second pick given how likely a rookie edge is to get significant snaps. 
  Most analysts suggest  there is still a significant gap between us, KC , and Tampa. Given last year’s production, we may still struggle to stop either with our D , so why not try to put pressure on them by enhancing our O (maybe we are a little better with Sanders)?  With an off season to analyze our trends and a one dimensional O that struggles to run the ball, we won’t be harder to stop than we were when it counted last year. ( our O struggled in the playoffs the past two years). Dabol deserves more talent in the backfield where we lack speed and consistency ( brieda is possible fix but real competition would help. It seems important to give Dabol options to take carries from Allen to keep him healthy!

Even if we didn’t go with an RB, I would argue there were better players on the board than an edge with one year production two seasons ago. Beane has been great but not perfect as evidenced  by last years additions on d line.  I just think this was a time to bolster production and taking perceived “ boom/bust project” with that first pick may not pan out this year and was a questionable use of the one pick you expect to get good production from immediately. Hopefully the rest of the draft will look more beneficial. 😊

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

And yet, The Bills D-line does not strike terror into the hearts of opponents. Oliver needs to step up this year.

Eddie o has been very meh.

I wanted Jeff Simmons bad in that draft.

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is why I started to really get on board the ETN train, run more with a lead to grind clock and reduce allen and wr wear and tear,  but to also keep defenses honest and have a back who is really good running and catching.  

Exactly.

I wanted Harris bad and would’ve been stoked with ETN too.

Too much reliance on the pass game. Run game is gonna be trash with Singletary and Moss back there. Lets not kid ourselves.

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Funchess and Austin is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for talent.  I get it that every year you can snapshot the draft and explain it. Every year?  Talks about it publicly and they trade up into the first rd for a Qb.  Rodgers is right to be put out.  If GB had an owner they wouldnt alienate him.  Imo the brass looks at Rodgers as he is easily replacable.  Now they are saving face with the fan base. 

Absolutely, correct about Rodgers having a right to be miffed about a replacement being drafted (most players would be), and them scrapping the bottom of the barrel in FA for WRs…. which is what happens when your 38y/o QB has a $40MM cap hit while you’re paying market value to an all pro LT and and all pro edge rusher. If Rodgers wants Brady toys he might want to take Brady money so it’s a viable option. To be blunt, they’ve already catered to Rodgers by giving him a new head coach, new GM, and a new contract while all the “disappointing defensive drafts” were happening. If you rewind to 6-7 years ago he was complaining about the defense…. They fired Dom Capers, brought in Pettine, and focused on bolstering the defensive talent. The packers board is probably sick of his *****, which is a likely reason for them OK’ing the Love pick. He comes across as one of those folks who complains that the soups cold, sends it back, then complains because the soups too hot. 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Gregory Rousseau (Bills)

Jerry Hughes (Indy)

Vernon Butler (Carolina)

Star Lotulelei (Carolina)

Ed Oliver (Bills)

That's a helluva lot of first rounders on the d-line. There are no first rounders on the o-line. 

We need a 5-2-4 defense.

If this team had the #1 offense, the #1 defense and the #2 special teams this board would have another daily/weekly 'heads will roll thread' about the special teams.

Wasn't this D ranked top 5 a couple of years ago- slow your roll. Geez.

13 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

If this team had the #1 offense, the #1 defense and the #2 special teams this board would have another daily/weekly 'heads will roll thread' about the special teams.

Wasn't this D ranked top 5 a couple of years ago- slow your roll. Geez.

Yeah man and we were really good in the 90s too.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll is likely showing this to Beane right now with various threats if he takes a corner in round 2

Now it's five first rounders and two second rounders, and Phillips.   

Beane's gonna look at Daboll and say can you say Allen?  Can you say Beasley?  Can you say Diggs?  Can you say Sanders?  

Daboll is thrilled that his defense is getting stronger. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Now it's five first rounders and two second rounders, and Phillips.   

Beane's gonna look at Daboll and say can you say Allen?  Can you say Beasley?  Can you say Diggs?  Can you say Sanders?  

Daboll is thrilled that his defense is getting stronger. 

It does take a lot of pressure off the offense when you know you don't need 6 every possession. Josh really tries to pull plays out of his a** at times and people talk about it like it's a negative thing but can you blame him?  I had no confidence in the defense getting a clutch stop at any point last year and we made it to the afc championship game lol

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's because of the defensive line rotation that McD loves.... if it's going to work it requires a ***** ton of investment. Even with the investment in it last season the defense line was mediocre for much of the season. 

McD under-values offense more than he should and both the draft and UFA illustrate that.  People are gonna look at the current offense, but aside from Diggs there's no one at the skill positions who can make a big play deep.  Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Knox, Moss, Singletary are not those types.  Breida perhaps, but he's not a 3 down back.

We're going to find out if McD's plan to load up on defense with all these picks and UFA's is worth it.  Because I'd hate to see Allen become Aaron Rodgers under the later McCarthy years when he could have used more skilled talent.  A good team, but not good enough to win deep into the playoffs as they get lapped by other teams who emphasize faster offenses.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't mind loading up upfront, but they shouldn't be done at the skills position.... especially with the age of some of their WRs.... I mean Sanders isn't the same guy he once was. Beasley is 32 coming off a broken Fibula and none outside of Diggs are deep ball receivers. Keep feeding the guy who got you to the Championship game(Allen). 

It's not as strong a group as people think.  I know a lot of people cite what they did in 2020, but next season will be different.  Teams have tape on Daboll's offense and Josh isn't gonna sneak up on anyone.  They're gonna need some new wrinkles and another receiver would help.  

Gotta stay fresh on offense unless you've got elite talent, which aside from Diggs and an older Beasley they really don't have.  

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD under-values offense more than he should and both the draft and UFA illustrate that.  People are gonna look at the current offense, but aside from Diggs there's no one at the skill positions who can make a big play deep.  Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Knox, Moss, Singletary are not those types.  Breida perhaps, but he's not a 3 down back.

We're going to find out if McD's plan to load up on defense with all these picks and UFA's is worth it.  Because I'd hate to see Allen become Aaron Rodgers under the later McCarthy years when he could have used more skilled talent.  A good team, but not good enough to win deep into the playoffs as they get lapped by other teams who emphasize faster offenses.  

LOL really? 

• Traded up for Josh Allen
  • Traded a 1st rounder for Stefon Diggs
  • Made Mitch Morse the highest paid center in the league at the time.
  • Prior to the 2019 season, we signed 8-9 offensive players
  • Traded up for Cody Ford
  • Traded up for Dion Dawkins
  • 3rd round RB's two years in a row.
4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Diggs is elite. Everyone else is solid but not spectacular at this point in their careers. 

Beasley is more than solid and is coming off of the best season of his career.  

Davis is coming into his second year.  

We were fine last year with Brown injured all year and now have Sanders.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL really? 

• Traded up for Josh Allen
  • Traded a 1st rounder for Stefon Diggs
  • Made Mitch Morse the highest paid center in the league at the time.
  • Prior to the 2019 season, we signed 8-9 offensive players
  • Traded up for Cody Ford
  • Traded up for Dion Dawkins
  • 3rd round RB's two years in a row.

I'd counter he's used more picks and UFA dollars on defense:

2017: Signed Hyde and Poyer (later re-signed). Drafted Tre with a low 1st round pick

2018: Signed Star to a large contract along with Murphy, traded up in mid 1st to take Edmunds and 3rd on H. Phillips.

2019: Re-signed Hughes to a moderately high contract. Drafted Oliver with a high 1st.

2020: Signed Addison to a moderately high contract along with Klein, V. Butler and Q. Jefferson. Drafted Epenesa in mid 2nd.

2021: Re-signed Milano to a moderately high contract.  Drafted Rousseau with a low 1st and Basham with a low 2nd.

That's 7 top 100 picks including (4 first, 2 2nds, and a 3rd) and 10 UFA's or re-signings of some note in 5 off-seasons (so far). 

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'd counter he's used more picks and UFA dollars on defense:

2017: Signed Hyde and Poyer (later re-signed). Drafted Tre with a low 1st round pick

2018: Signed Star to a large contract along with Murphy, traded up in mid 1st to take Edmunds and 3rd on H. Phillips.

2019: Re-signed Hughes to a moderately high contract. Drafted Oliver with a high 1st.

2020: Signed Addison to a moderately high contract along with Klein, V. Butler and Q. Jefferson. Drafted Epenesa in mid 2nd.

2021: Re-signed Milano to a moderately high contract.  Drafted Rousseau with a low 1st and Basham with a low 2nd.

That's 7 top 100 picks including (4 first, 2 2nds, and a 3rd) and 10 UFA's or re-signings of some note in 5 off-seasons (so far). 

Yes, that all happened but so did the offensive stuff as well.  He's clearly focusing on areas they need improvement regardless of whether it's offense or defense.

Felt we needed more from the DL...drafts two defensive ends so far.

Felt we need that playmaker on offense....trades a first for Diggs.

These are just two of many examples.  

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes, that all happened but so did the offensive stuff as well.  He's clearly focusing on areas they need improvement regardless of whether it's offense or defense.

Felt we needed more from the DL...drafts two defensive ends so far.

Felt we need that playmaker on offense....trades a first for Diggs.

These are just two of many examples.  

Beane said at the pre-draft luncheon that they're looking at this draft for the long term, and these picks fit that.  I'm not going to bank on either DE coming in and giving them 15 sacks.  They're likely not going to provide the margin in key games either, but who knows.  

Still, last year they had enough offense to out-score plenty of teams.  But everyone's getting better and Buffalo's gotta stay ahead of them as their scheme is more well understood. We'll see if what they've done and how much Josh improves is enough to keep the advantage.