Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Defenses are usually pretty good when they face:

Nick Mullens

Big Ben at 47 years old 

Drew Locke

Cam

Tua

im not saying that our D wasn’t improved....but the QBs we added definitely made is easier.  The SD game was probably our best defensive game of the year imo.  They shut an impressive Herbert down.  They seemed to iron out their issues vs seattle, but then didn’t have a great game vs the cardinals.  They ran all over us.

Reasonable points..........but they also held Derrick Henry to his lowest regular season output when they were focused on stopping the run.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

I'm w you 100%...though sadly.

I freaking loved JZ--the "fat', short-legged guy--almost chasing down Hill. Alot of heart...plus wheels.

I recall that Hill himself said he was shocked when he looked back and #61 was about to catch his a**.

And I'm not even including the Cam punch.

Yet, alas, JZ likely a victim of circumstance.

Never really paid attention to Norman on that play before. Tough to win with only 10 competing.

I’m guessing we keep 10 on the 53, with 8 active on Game Days. 

Locks:

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Rousseau

Basham

Star

Oliver

Butler

Competition:

Obada, Johnson, Harry, Zimmer, potential FA signing fighting for the last 2 spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

If OverTheCap is accurate, Hughes can be traded for a $2.1M cap hit and a $7M cap savings. I know he finished out last season with a top grade, but at 33 in the last year of his deal, with 3 1/2nd round DE's now on the roster, I'd almost be shocked if they didn't try to trade him. Addison had his worst year in 8 years, but I think he's a much better player than he was last year. That said, they could both be out.

If not, one of Epenesa, Rousseau, or Basham is all but guaranteed to spend a lot of time inactive this year, which would be weird.

If we could use that money to go after Ertz or Bell, I would be all over it.

Edited by BullBuchanan

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Willing to bet someone ends up on IR before the season starts with a minor injury kinda like Hodgins

Lets all hope that is the only type of injury.

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I am wondering who backs up Star.  Horrible Harry has played more 1 tech than 3 tech, is undersized.  Butler has played more 3 tech than 1 tech, but he has the size to anchor at 1 tech.  I guess he was better at 1 tech toward the end of last season, as was Phillips as he continued to recover from injury.  If they have enough bodies, they may use a committee approach, but that would mean getting rid of some DEs that we'd rather keep.  It will be interesting at least.

My amateur opinion would be that Butler works exclusively on 1 tech during camp/preseason.  Seems the logical thing to do.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reasonable points..........but they also held Derrick Henry to his lowest regular season output when they were focused on stopping the run.

And shut down the ravens in the playoffs.  They had their moment, but the consistency just wasn’t there like it was in the past

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And shut down the ravens in the playoffs.  They had their moment, but the consistency just wasn’t there like it was in the past

That takes us back to schedule.    That 2019 schedule IMO was the easiest the team has had since the league went to 16 games back in the 1970's.   In reality they have not been a consistently stout defense under McD since the first couple of months of 2017.    

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That takes us back to schedule.    That 2019 schedule IMO was the easiest the team has had since the league went to 16 games back in the 1970's.   In reality they have not been a consistently stout defense under McD since the first couple of months of 2017.    

Agreed.  Having really been great since Schwartz and he was lucky to have Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Jerry.  We haven’t had a good DL since.  

• Agree 1

I would really like to know how bad it would be viewed by Addison/teammates if Addison was cut despite he took paycut earlier in the year. Do you guys think this a factor for Beane?

Also, I didn't see it posted, is there somewhere updated spread sheet with Bills depth chart? I would love to see it.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:15 AM, dneveu said:

DE - Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, Rousseau

DT - Oliver Butler phillips Lotulelei

Zimmer could absolutely win the job from phillips, and I'm not sure they don't draft another one to compete there anyway.  9 on 53, 8 on gamedays is the most likely scenario.  

I think Harry gets cut instead of Zimmer if their play in Camp in ‘21 is the same as it was last year. Harry’s contract is up after this year and he didn’t look good in ‘20. 

I didn't see this upthread, but this seems like the right place for it.  Joe Buscaglia tweeted out the full text of what Beane responded when he was asked about Mario Addison's role now that we drafted two DE's:

image.thumb.png.e679d13eecb84f69d02c92f87310fd89.png

It's only May of course, but it sounds as though Beane is very much planning on having Addison part of the mix.

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

I think Harry gets cut instead of Zimmer if their play in Camp in ‘21 is the same as it was last year. Harry’s contract is up after this year and he didn’t look good in ‘20. 

(do people still know what "broken record" means?)

We know that Zimmer and Phillips do not play interchangeably, yes?  Phillips plays 1TDT, Zimmer is a 3TDT?

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see this upthread, but this seems like the right place for it.  Joe Buscaglia tweeted out the full text of what Beane responded when he was asked about Mario Addison's role now that we drafted two DE's:

image.thumb.png.e679d13eecb84f69d02c92f87310fd89.png

It's only May of course, but it sounds as though Beane is very much planning on having Addison part of the mix.

Ive come to terms with it.  

I think we’ll go with 3 DT’s.  This isn’t last year where Star opted out and a ton of 1 techs did the same.  In a typical season you can sign one mid-season should you need one.  

Most of our DE’s can all play inside so we have a ton of positional flexibility. 

Star - Oliver - Butler (3) 

Hughes - Addison - Epenesa - Basham - Rousseau (5)

Obada vs Harry vs Johnson vs Zimmer for the last spot on the 53... a spot that will likely be inactive most weeks, especially once the rookies get up to speed. 

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ive come to terms with it.  
I think we’ll go with 3 DT’s.  This isn’t last year where Star opted out and a ton of 1 techs did the same.  In a typical season you can sign one mid-season should you need one. 

That would be a HUGE philosophical change for McDermott and Frazier, who have stoutly insisted on playing a rotation especially at DT.

Then there's needing to have a plan for injury.  I can't see them going into the season with fewer than 4 DTs on the roster.

Obada, Basham, and Rousseau can all play inside to rush on passing downs, but playing inside on 3 downs to stop the run is another thing.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would be a HUGE philosophical change for McDermott and Frazier, who have stoutly insisted on playing a rotation especially at DT.

Then there's needing to have a plan for injury.  I can't see them going into the season with fewer than 4 DTs on the roster.

Obada, Basham, and Rousseau can all play inside to rush on passing downs, but playing inside on 3 downs to stop the run is another thing.

I hear ya, but with Star back, and with our DE’s being able to kick inside on passing downs, how many snaps would someone like Harry even get?

Butler could be primarily another 1 Tech, especially if DE’s keep kicking inside on passing downs. 

Edited by SCBills

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I hear ya, but with Star back, and with our DE’s being able to kick inside on passing downs, how many snaps would someone like Harry even get?

Butler could be primarily another 1 Tech, especially if DE’s keep kicking inside on passing downs.

Butler improved at 1T as the season wore on, but that's not his natural position any more than it's Oliver's.  He was supposed to replace Jordan Phillips.

Star has typically taken 40-50% of the snaps in the game since he's been in Buffalo.  I looked: 2018 and 2019, he had only 3 games where he took >65%, and the highest was 70%.  McDermott has historically believed very strongly in rotation at DT, and it sounds as though with Addison, the theory is they need MORE rotation at DE, not less.

You might have to educate me what "someone like Harry" means to you, but before he got hurt the idea was he'd get most of the snaps at 1T that Lotulelei didn't, meaning 30-40, up to 50% against a strong running team - with the "kick inside" guy taking the other 10-20%