Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

No one is being traded today for today or future picks.

It will all depend on what happens if camps (If NFLPA does not have a crying fit) and preseason games. 

If a players come back out of shape it will make it easier for Bills to cut them.

Of course the better scenario is they all come back in great decision and Beane has to make tough decision who needs to be traded.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:26 AM, MJS said:

I think you are wrong. I think he will dress and he will rotate in and as the year progresses he'll get more playing time. Similar to Epenesa. Maybe he won't dress every single game, but I think he will for the majority.

If our 1st round DE has 14 tackles by the end of the season, that will be not good.

Hopefully he is not like Epenesa in any way.

Edited by FireChans
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Honestly, if it were me and I know this is going to be very very unpopular but I would keep Rousseau, Boogie, Epenesa, Obada and Johnson. Just go for a complete youth movement on the DL and dump Hughes and Addison to save some money. That’s what I would do. In no way am I predicting that this is what Beane will do, but once again, this is just what I would do. Did Hughes or Addison even break 5 sacks last year? I think there is a very strong chance that Rousseau and Boogie can surpass that level of production and I haven’t given up on Epenesa yet either. I thought he was a nice pick last year and Obada to me is very intriguing, he may do something. Rousseau and Boogie will both be 10+ sack guys, give them that experience, no point in waiting, not short term nor long term.

They are under the cap with no on else to sign. Why would you cut the best DE to save money when you don't need to this year?  Allen extension has no impact on 2021 because it must be an extension. Addison will remain kn the team but he will be a healthy scratch by weekend as the kids start to get more snaps.

Love the youth movement and the length these guys have.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

I do not think Addison or Hughes are going anywhere this season.  Each already got a roster bonus: Addison got $1.5M and Hughes got $1M.  Addison also has $2M of his salary guaranteed.  They’re both worth keeping for their last season on their remaining salaries.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Honestly, if it were me and I know this is going to be very very unpopular but I would keep Rousseau, Boogie, Epenesa, Obada and Johnson. Just go for a complete youth movement on the DL and dump Hughes and Addison to save some money. That’s what I would do. In no way am I predicting that this is what Beane will do, but once again, this is just what I would do. Did Hughes or Addison even break 5 sacks last year? I think there is a very strong chance that Rousseau and Boogie can surpass that level of production and I haven’t given up on Epenesa yet either. I thought he was a nice pick last year and Obada to me is very intriguing, he may do something. Rousseau and Boogie will both be 10+ sack guys, give them that experience, no point in waiting, not short term nor long term.

Agree 100%.  In fact, and I understand I am likely an outlier on this I would explore (again, explore) trading Oliver.  Too many excuses on why he underperformed last year (out of position, no Star, etc).  At some point a top 10 pick needs to elevate everyone around them.  It appears Oliver needs a lot of support to shine and at that we are hoping he elevates his game.  If the return is right, there is no harm in trading Oliver.

2 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Ed Oliver has the most upside of anyone on our line. I don't think it would be wise to get rid of him. And you keep Hughes at least one more year to teach these kids the ropes.

I think before this draft, that may have been a decent argument. However, I think both picks this year have higher ceilings than Oliver and will not be so dependent on "other things" to shine. Rousseau and Basham will likely have impact regardless of who lines up next to them, Oliver needs a big body next to him to shine; or so we hope.

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Justin Zimmer.  I hope he takes a step, and I hope we have a place for him.  I liked him when he peanut-punched Cam Newton, and I liked him even better when he damned near ran down Tyreek Hill from behind in the AFCCG.  He's my guy.  But the idea to trade a first round pick who (according to McDermott) was "playing very well" at the end of last season and who gets 50% of the snaps, in favor of keeping a guy who has bounced around 3 teams and managed to work his way up to 25-35% of the snaps, is just weird.

I'm w you 100%...though sadly.

I freaking loved JZ--the "fat', short-legged guy--almost chasing down Hill. Alot of heart...plus wheels.

I recall that Hill himself said he was shocked when he looked back and #61 was about to catch his a**.

And I'm not even including the Cam punch.

Yet, alas, JZ likely a victim of circumstance.

I am wondering who backs up Star.  Horrible Harry has played more 1 tech than 3 tech, is undersized.  Butler has played more 3 tech than 1 tech, but he has the size to anchor at 1 tech.  I guess he was better at 1 tech toward the end of last season, as was Phillips as he continued to recover from injury.  If they have enough bodies, they may use a committee approach, but that would mean getting rid of some DEs that we'd rather keep.  It will be interesting at least.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Harrison Phillips played much better towards the end of the season..........I expect him to be back to his 2019 form when he was clearly outplaying Star.........but he is another one who isn't very impactful.     

Zimmer is just a 3T.......he can't play the 1T or NT effectively.   Butler can play both.

Contrary to popular belief the second half of the season defense was quite good against possibly the Bills toughest schedule in decades........not sure what a 32 year old Star has to offer at this point.    Bills can't cut him because of the dead money hit, but they could IR him and just eat the rest of that foolish contract.    I agree that they pick up a DT in the draft yet or in UDFA.    Damon Harrison would be a big improvement over Lotulelei too and he played for around $2M last season.

Defenses are usually pretty good when they face:

Nick Mullens

Big Ben at 47 years old 

Drew Locke

Cam

Tua

im not saying that our D wasn’t improved....but the QBs we added definitely made is easier.  The SD game was probably our best defensive game of the year imo.  They shut an impressive Herbert down.  They seemed to iron out their issues vs seattle, but then didn’t have a great game vs the cardinals.  They ran all over us.

22 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Addison is gone after June 1st one way or another.

With these new drafted guys, they should make the dline a whole lot better whoever stays. They should shore up the run defense and put QBs around the league on notice they will be pressured when playing the Bills.

Go Bills!

I think Addison is the first one to be under the microscope he was brought in with the thoughts of giving the D another pass rusher although he did okay i think the upside & the contract that say a Basham could prove his worth in training camp could make him expendable .

Harrison Phillips is another player that to this point partially due to injury hasn't lived up to his draft status inspire of him being a great Bills type of player i think he could be used as maybe trade bait for future draft capital which would be good if he is in fact one on the hot seat .

Phillips may be able to come in and change some minds but i think it's a uphill climb for him especially given the talent brought in in this draft & their versatility that they bring .

1 hour ago, T master said:

I think Addison is the first one to be under the microscope he was brought in with the thoughts of giving the D another pass rusher although he did okay i think the upside & the contract that say a Basham could prove his worth in training camp could make him expendable .

Harrison Phillips is another player that to this point partially due to injury hasn't lived up to his draft status inspire of him being a great Bills type of player i think he could be used as maybe trade bait for future draft capital which would be good if he is in fact one on the hot seat .

Phillips may be able to come in and change some minds but i think it's a uphill climb for him especially given the talent brought in in this draft & their versatility that they bring .

I agree with most posters that Addison and Phillips are the first casualties. And after that Zimmer or DJ would be next for possible cuts.

• Agree 1