Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When you look at it, the Bills have the same body type DE over and over.

Johnson is 6'6" 4.82

Obada is 6'6" 4.63

Epenesa is 6'6" 5.04 

And now Rousseau is 6'6" 4.68 

So there is redundancy there. 

You would think the DE's they would keep are Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rosseau and the last spot between Johnson and Obada because neither has been a starting caliber pro. 

DT is Oliver, Zimmer, Star, Butler, Phillips. 

Maybe the Bills try and trade Oliver while he still has draft stock upside and keep Zimmer? 

Because the way it stands now, Oliver is not an every down player, he's not been a difference maker.   

oliver isn’t being traded 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Playing time is earned not given.

To me Johnson has long odds.

Obada isn't guaranteed anything, could be a trade candidate since he was cheap. 

Addison restructured, is clearly a team guy. But if he's hitting the wall, he doesn't need to be hitting it here. 

One of those 3 makes the 53, and probably is inactive as the season goes on.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a clue why they’d cut Hughes but keep Addison. One is clearly better and actually an effective pass rusher. One is not.....really have no clue why they kept Addison.

Hughes is clearly more disruptive then Addison. I was very disappointed with Mario's production last year. When he missed that sack on the hail Murray I cringed. These 3 young DE's will be the foundation, the rest on borrowed time. I do like Obada and hope he gets a chance.

It's Johnson.  I think that's obvious at this point.

Addison is a close 2nd, but I don't really know his contract situation in terms of what we save if we cut him and when.

For our DTs Star is obviously our starter (God I hope he's in shape!!!) and Oliver is in there, as well.  Personally, I think Zimmer makes the team.  Phillips might be gone.  Butler was too good comparatively last year not to remain.

And I think Obada's actual NFL production combined with his relationship with Washington keeps him in Buffalo.

To me, Beane is hedging his bets on the DL with the belief that our offense can run with anyone at this point, but our D needs to STOP Elite QBs like Mahomes.

Next offseason is going to be much more interesting than this offseason.  This offseason we re-signed all of our own... which was friggin AWESOME!!!

Next offseason we're going to likely see some guys we love (Hughes, Morse, Beasely?, Poyer?) not re-signed or just cut and we're going to have a more interesting draft where we fill those holes or we wind up relying on guys on our roster (Jaquon Johnson at Safety) for replacement players as starters.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hughes is clearly more disruptive then Addison. I was very disappointed with Mario's production last year. When he missed that sack on the hail Murray I cringed. These 3 young DE's will be the foundation, the rest on borrowed time. I do like Obada and hope he gets a chance.

As someone who had a hefty amount on the Bills money line that game, I'll never forgive Addison for that play. Won't have closure until he's off the team.

Edited by Process

14 hours ago, Melon said:

I think we need to look at the DEs specifically

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Beane has kept 5 DEs before so I think Beane does it again. I think it will come down to Johnson versus Obada unless Addison is cut for cap savings but I am not sure of the impact that would have.

yep, end thread.

Star/Oliver/Butler are locks

Basham/Rousseau/Epenesa are locks

Hughes and Obada have better than not odds 

Everyone else is on notice. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

I'm starting to think that all these guys we are talking about go to camp.

Hopefully no injuries but you never know so there is that to consider.

By cut down day the new guys will have been evaluated.

Addison could easily be the odd man out especially with a post 1 June cut splitting some of his dead money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

With all these picks on the Defensive Line, Addison has to go and Darryl Johnson/Efe Obada.

Cap hit or not, there is no room.

Maybe, like Epenesa, the Bills ask Basham to lose weight and he coverts to a Linebacker and plays the Lorenzo Alexander position.

• Disagree 1

Beane will trade Addison and pick up a 7th rounder.  Simmer and/or Phillips will be gone either by release or trade; my assumption is they are drafting a 1 tech guy.  Johnson is on the bubble; if a Rousseau or Basham can play special teams well then Johnson probably it s gone.

21 hours ago, Melon said:

I think we need to look at the DEs specifically

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Beane has kept 5 DEs before so I think Beane does it again. I think it will come down to Johnson versus Obada unless Addison is cut for cap savings but I am not sure of the impact that would have.

I'm thinking Addison ( and Harrison Phillips?) is on the bubble. Johnson is a key special- teamer. So possibly Hughes,Epenesa, Johnson ,Obada, Basham and Rousseau make it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Beane will trade Addison and pick up a 7th rounder.  Simmer and/or Phillips will be gone either by release or trade; my assumption is they are drafting a 1 tech guy.  Johnson is on the bubble; if a Rousseau or Basham can play special teams well then Johnson probably it s gone.

That would be nice for some cap savings. We could then trade for Ertz and sign Sherman. Doubt anyone takes Addison though.

Great discussion on WGR about this right now.  

I could absolutely see Johnson, Harry, Zimmer etc all gone and we view these guys as one bucket and not just DE’s and DT’s.  

Outside only: Hughes/Addison

Inside only: Oliver/Star/Butler

Inside & Outside: Basham/Rousseau/Obada/Epenesa

Addison is probably out if the young guys progress after June.  He didn’t do much last year after the previous four years as solid.

it does make me wonder if r. Sherman could work for a one year rental.  He’s smart and could at least keep the fort down if he’s willing to train Dane.

as far as today,  maybe big nickel S, 1tech DT, TE under the radar.  Once the top 2 came off the board I don’t see RB.

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Star/Oliver/Butler are locks

Basham/Rousseau/Epenesa are locks

Hughes and Obada have better than not odds 

Everyone else is on notice. 

Honestly, if it were me and I know this is going to be very very unpopular but I would keep Rousseau, Boogie, Epenesa, Obada and Johnson. Just go for a complete youth movement on the DL and dump Hughes and Addison to save some money. That’s what I would do. In no way am I predicting that this is what Beane will do, but once again, this is just what I would do. Did Hughes or Addison even break 5 sacks last year? I think there is a very strong chance that Rousseau and Boogie can surpass that level of production and I haven’t given up on Epenesa yet either. I thought he was a nice pick last year and Obada to me is very intriguing, he may do something. Rousseau and Boogie will both be 10+ sack guys, give them that experience, no point in waiting, not short term nor long term.

• Like (+1) 1