Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I think Hughes gets traded.

He's the only one worth anything.

Huh?  The fact that he is the only producing defensive end on a team with Super Bowl aspirations, really easily refute that really dumb claim.

• Agree 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

If they let players opt out again, they might as well let them opt out eternally. This virus is not just going to disappear.

I think players could always "opt out" but last year it was a much bigger deal and changes were made to the process because of Covid. I don't see anyone doing so this season but who knows

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

I'm wondering if the league will let players opt out this year, again.

I dont think so......but maybe.  Even if they do, I bet we will be able to count opt outs on 1 hand league wise.   There are a lot more known about COVID now and with vaccines available, the risks are small.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He won't be dressed? Is he gonna play nekkid? I like the pick even more now.... 😈

One would presume so, but Brandon Beane last night every time he was asked about Rousseau and Epenesa as the future kept saying "and Darryl Johnson". Of course we are in April, things change but he made a real point of throwing him in that mix on multiple occasions. 

Good catch on the Beane presser, and agree based on listening to that as well.

I think we've set ourselves up for a great rotation this year, Epenesa's development is critical but same with rest of the guys doing their part and Greg hopefully making an impact early on.

Interior, I'm still curious if they go after a Marvin Wilson type in round 2 or 3.  There's question marks across that interior, Zimmer/Harrison I'd consider good depth, but absolutely could be improved upon.  Oliver taking a step would be huge, and I think he will. 

Round 2 and 3, I'd be shocked if we didn't look hard at CB and WR.  I think there's great value there, and would fit a need for us (wr is a sneaky need imo, with how often we run 4 wrs).  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The DL is overpriced, and Beane is going to need the money to sign Josh Allen.

Addison re-structured so it will help him stay. Cap savings for Hughes puts a target on his back.

The wildcard is Star, especially if they draft a DT.

Johnson stays just for Special Teams alone.

Addison and Hughes are both on the last year of their contracts.  

Allen can be extended with little to no impact on the cap this year, and possibly not too much next year depending upon how the contract is structured.

I think the Bean-meister made it clear our first round pick could well be a guy we don't expect to start this season, but expect to start next year.

4 minutes ago, Melon said:

I think players could always "opt out" but last year it was a much bigger deal and changes were made to the process because of Covid. I don't see anyone doing so this season but who knows

Huh? No, it was a special NFLPA/NFL provision negotiated for last season and all indications are it won't be allowed this season.  You can retire, but you can't press the "pause" button on your contract and collect $150,000.

11 minutes ago, Melon said:

Thought of that too but Hughes is our best DE and produces extremely well even at his age. Not sure that $6.3 million could be spent better than on Hughes. Good point on Addison - I think he's on the roster for sure.

Going to come down to Johnson or Obada - maybe one get's dealt for a mid-rounder.

My personal guess is that barring injuries or unexpected competition in camp, Addison and Hughes stay with Epenesa and Rousseau as their understudies.

There's a great book called "Sway" by Ori Brafman about "the irresistable pull of irrational behavior".  There's a passage where he talks about the most significant predictor of playing time in the NBA.  Turns out it's not per-minute productivity on the court, or practice performance by measurable metrics.  It's where a player was drafted.

I like Zimmer, Johnson, and what I know of Obada but they got their work cut out for them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh? No, it was a special NFLPA/NFL provision negotiated for last season and all indications are it won't be allowed this season.  You can retire, but you can't press the "pause" button on your contract and collect $150,000.

Must be wrong - I thought I remembered Eric Berry had a chance opt out for a season because of his cancer diagnosis but he was able to return regardless.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know it is little bit early but I am curious what do you guys think.

If I remember correctly last season we had 10 DL on roster: Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson, Jefferson, Murphy, Oliver, Butler, Phillips, Zimmer. We usually dressed 9 of them based on their health and form.

From these guys 2 have left (Murphy and Jefferson), and 3 were added - Lotulelei, Rousseau and Obada.

So we need to cut/trade one guy and make inactive one more. Who do you guys think are the most likely candidates as of now?

I guess Zimmer is the obvious choice for cutting, but if we dress 9 one more needs to be omitted on gamedays. Is it Phillips as things stand right now? I am not sure if he is 1T or 3T, but if he is Star's primary backup then we need to make inactive someone else.

Things could get even more interesting if we draft 1TDT round 3 or 5.

🙏Please be you! Please be you!🙏

They drafted him to play.  He had 15.5 sacks and about 20 tackles for loss in 7 games.  He's got "traits."  He will play.  Ofada is a beast, and this line is going to be much better.  Johnson is great at special teams, so he might be safe.  Maybe Zimmer goes to the practice squad.  We still have a bunch of picks, and Beane has a history of signing people to fill needs.  

I was hoping for JOK, but apparently Beane got his guy.  

If I’m not mistaken, Addison took a pay cut, not a restructure that locks him to us.  Hughes is the only vet with consistent production, he’s here, AJE, Rousseau are locks, Obada is a load of potential, I don’t see him not keeping a spot, I personally think Johnson should have been out there more last year.  To me you are sending Addison on his way.

• Like (+1) 1