Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

I know it is little bit early but I am curious what do you guys think.

If I remember correctly last season we had 10 DL on roster: Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson, Jefferson, Murphy, Oliver, Butler, Phillips, Zimmer. We usually dressed 9 of them based on their health and form.

From these guys 2 have left (Murphy and Jefferson), and 3 were added - Lotulelei, Rousseau and Obada.

So we need to cut/trade one guy and make inactive one more. Who do you guys think are the most likely candidates as of now?

I guess Zimmer is the obvious choice for cutting, but if we dress 9 one more needs to be omitted on gamedays. Is it Phillips as things stand right now? I am not sure if he is 1T or 3T, but if he is Star's primary backup then we need to make inactive someone else.

Things could get even more interesting if we draft 1TDT round 3 or 5.

Edited by No_Matter_What
Boogie addition

I think we need to look at the DEs specifically

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Beane has kept 5 DEs before so I think Beane does it again. I think it will come down to Johnson versus Obada unless Addison is cut for cap savings but I am not sure of the impact that would have.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know it is little bit early but I am curious what do you guys think.

If I remember correctly last season we had 10 DL on roster: Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson, Jefferson, Murphy, Oliver, Butler, Phillips, Zimmer. We usually dressed 9 of them based on their health and form.

From these guys 2 have left (Murphy and Jefferson), and 3 were added - Lotulelei, Rousseau and Obada.

So we need to cut/trade one guy and make inactive one more. Who do you guys think are the most likely candidates as of now?

I guess Zimmer is the obvious choice for cutting, but if we dress 9 one more needs to be omitted on gamedays. Is it Phillips as things stand right now? I am not sure if he is 1T or 3T, but if he is Star's primary backup then we need to make inactive someone else.

Things could get even more interesting if we draft 1TDT round 3 or 5.

You answered your own question. 

"I know it is little bit early."

We'll find out in camp. 

I would guess we end up rolling with Hughes, Lotulelei, Oliver, Addison, Epenesa, Butler, Phillips, Obada, and Rousseau.

Is Johnson PS eligible anymore? If not, then maybe they keep him over Phillips or Butler, but I doubt that. 

Edit: Given how many times Beane mentioned Johnson in his presser last night, I would definitely lean towards Phillips or Butler being the odd man out, especially with how many snaps they seem to be projecting our DEs to be able to play inside.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

Just now, Melon said:

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Beane has kept 5 DEs before so I think Beane does it again. I think it will come down to Johnson versus Obada unless Addison is cut for cap savings but I am not sure of the impact that would have.

There would be savings if Addison is cut, but he did restructure his contract so i think he's likely to stay.  Obada could always be traded as well, same as Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Seeing how Rousseau won't be dressed this year, he's gonna have to be an extra and another position is where a player will be lost. 

Why would he not be dressed?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Seeing how Rousseau won't be dressed this year, he's gonna have to be an extra and another position is where a player will be lost. 

he's going to play without a uniform?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, Melon said:

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Exactly how I see it.

It will likely come down to Johnson vs Obada.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

He's just not very good

He was a first round pick at a position of need.

Beane thinks he's very good. So does McClap. He's going to dress and rotate in just as much as Epenesa did last season, if not more, because of the work he'll get in training camp. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He's just not very good.  Has a lot of work to do.  Is not a top 4 DE on the roster.

I think you are wrong. I think he will dress and he will rotate in and as the year progresses he'll get more playing time. Similar to Epenesa. Maybe he won't dress every single game, but I think he will for the majority.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 2

Just now, Back2Buff said:

He's just not very good.  Has a lot of work to do.  Is not a top 4 DE on the roster.

I mean... it's not a yes or no thing.  You don't think hughes/addison/epenesa/obada will be banged up this year at all?  He might not dress at first, and might contribute later in the year.  But to say he won't dress all season is a bit premature.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

He was a first round pick at a position of need.

Beane thinks he's very good. So does McClap. He's going to dress and rotate in just as much as Epenesa did last season, if not more, because of the work he'll get in training camp. 

No he doesn't.  He thinks he has long term potential.

Epenesa was much further along than Rouse, and Rouse hasn't even played in over a year.

• Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think you are wrong. I think he will dress and he will rotate in and as the year progresses he'll get more playing time. Similar to Epenesa. Maybe he won't dress every single game, but I think he will for the majority.

So who you sitting?  You sitting Obada, who has much more NFL success?  What you doing about special teams with Johnson?

This guy ain't seeing the field unless 2 DEs get hurt.

• Dislike 1