Round 2 picks

11 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Someone has to get to Mahomes and someone has to keep up with Hill. Until those things are solved they most likely will not get past the Chiefs. 

It just doesn't work like that though, especially with the depth we have at DE already. Success in the NFL is as much an asset allocation problem as anything else. If you devote too many assets to one position, the rest of them take a hit. Our best chance of "getting to Mahomes" as you say, isn't Rousseau, or Ojulari, or anyone else in the draft -- it's Epanesa and Oliver developing. 

As for keeping up with Hill, good luck -- that's more of a scheme and communication thing than anything else. The "Rousseau" version of CB that might be available (and also possesses the speed you and many others are looking for) is Kelvin Joseph. He's the CB I want.

Back to asset allocation -- you can also beat KC (and every other team) with better offense. So that brings the Moores, Javonte Williams, the OL, Friermuth, etc. into the discussion.

You can't draft with one competitor in mind. It's about making YOUR team and YOUR scheme better, not matching up better against one of the 31 others...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

I don't think it will happen, but if Moore somehow slips to the 40s tonight we should look to trade our 2 and 3 to move up and get him. 

We can find a vet CB to sign or trade for after the draft

Maybe Beane wasn't lying about Dane Jackson. CB didn't fall to us so we'll see what happens in the 2nd.

56 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Good point.  My gut reaction was hoping players still want to play for a winner.  Understand playing time = more money for next contract but I still live in the old days when winning as a team meant more than getting personal stats.  Think I’m from a different era—NBA basketball sums up the new mentality of athletes you implicitly identified.  Sad that winning isn’t the number one goal for these kids.  

They can't win if they can't make the roster. When McD was turning over more than half the roster you could count on a few UDFAs making it. Now there can't be more than 5 roster spots up for grabs. Of course there are many more practice squad jobs available and some UDFAs will make the PS. 

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I see the Zach Ertz trade coming somewhere tonight. 

Done right this could be very good, 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

It just doesn't work like that though, especially with the depth we have at DE already. Success in the NFL is as much an asset allocation problem as anything else. If you devote too many assets to one position, the rest of them take a hit. Our best chance of "getting to Mahomes" as you say, isn't Rousseau, or Ojulari, or anyone else in the draft -- it's Epanesa and Oliver developing. 

As for keeping up with Hill, good luck -- that's more of a scheme and communication thing than anything else. The "Rousseau" version of CB that might be available (and also possesses the speed you and many others are looking for) is Kelvin Joseph. He's the CB I want.

Back to asset allocation -- you can also beat KC (and every other team) with better offense. So that brings the Moores, Javonte Williams, the OL, Friermuth, etc. into the discussion.

You can't draft with one competitor in mind. It's about making YOUR team and YOUR scheme better, not matching up better against one of the 31 others...

Good post but in this case both are true. The Bills need more pass rush from the font four and they need to get younger on the DL. That is also the best way to compete with KC and others. 

Adding more options to the offense will help. Getting more balanced in the run game will take some pressure off the pass game.  That is why I wanted Etienne(after thinking Harris for a while).  That said I'm higher on Knox than many on this board and don't feel WR is a need this year. Next for sure. Rookie WRs can produce early so no worry to wait until 2022 to address.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good post but in this case both are true. The Bills need more pass rush from the font four and they need to get younger on the DL. That is also the best way to compete with KC and others. 

Adding more options to the offense will help. Getting more balanced in the run game will take some pressure off the pass game.  That is why I wanted Etienne(after thinking Harris for a while).  That said I'm higher on Knox than many on this board and don't feel WR is a need this year. Next for sure. Rookie WRs can produce early so no worry to wait until 2022 to address.

We need more from the pass rush, absolutely. The answer to getting that, though, is not adding more pass rushers. It's getting more out of the ones we've already drafted over the past few years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, glazeduck said:

We need more from the pass rush, absolutely. The answer to getting that, though, is not adding more pass rushers. It's getting more out of the ones we've already drafted over the past few years.

Yes and no. Oliver and Epenesa need to step up for sure. But DL is a rotation and Murphy, Addison, and Butler were/are all terrible. They needed more young guys up front. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes and no. Oliver and Epenesa need to step up for sure. But DL is a rotation and Murphy, Addison, and Butler were/are all terrible. They needed more young guys up front. 

I’m not arguing against the Rousseau pick. I’m arguing that we don’t need to take ANOTHER edge. 

7 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I’m sure Beane knows the cost and will have the phone ready, but the math looks pretty good to not have to...

-Any and all edge players won’t be considered (Ossai, Basham, Ojulari, Perkins, Robinson?)

-Left off guys I want no part of (Levi O, Carman, Mayfield, Samuel Jr.)

-Left off slot-only guys (Robinson and Molden)

-And there’s a number of guys I’m just kinda meh on: Cox, Cosmi, Amari Rogers, Grant, Campbell, Cisco, Bolton

-PLUS. I forgot to include Javonte Williams in the “guys I’d want” list

My list + williams is 19, and the guys I left off is well more than the 10 needed to get us to our pick. I feel pretty confident that we’ll have at least a few of my guys on the board...

You have slot only receivers in Elijah and Rondale Moore, but exclude slot-only DBs.  I’m not criticizing, but what is your rationale for that?

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I’m not arguing against the Rousseau pick. I’m arguing that we don’t need to take ANOTHER edge. 

Oh gotcha.  I agree. I thought they would not bring back Milano so I had posted about taking two edge guys earlier in the year. Now my focus would be 1-tech DT, Center, CB, and TE in no particular order

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

Sign Richard Sherman and gimme Rondale Moore.

I am skeptical of Rondale Moore - he is only 5’7” and has missed a ton of time in college due to injuries.  He is a dynamic athlete, but is he big enough for the NFL and can he stay healthy?

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You have slot only receivers in Elijah and Rondale Moore, but exclude slot-only DBs.  I’m not criticizing, but what is your rationale for that?

We need an outside CB and can use either a slot or edge WR. 

also not convinced that those WRs, specifically Elijah, is a slot-only guy. 

People said that about Jefferson last year and we saw how it worked out...

Edited by glazeduck

19 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

You are almost certainly right that they won’t take another DE, but in spite of having taken A DE already, I would make an exception and double up IF the right guy were available.  Hughes and Addison won’t be on the roster much longer and the only young players ate the position are Epenesa and Rousseau (and Daryl Johnson).  While I like what I’ve seen from Johnson, he is still a long-shot to be here long-term.

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

We need an outside CB and can use either a slot or edge WR. 

also not convinced that those WRs, specifically Elijah, is a slot-only guy. 

People said that about Jefferson last year and we saw how it worked out...

Got it.  But Justin Jefferson is certainly big enough to play outside.  While there are some, there aren’t many outside WRs at 5’9”.

I’m not arguing against either Moore, just think a slot corner would not be outlandish in late 2nd.  

Edited by OldTimer1960

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would make an exception and double up IF the right guy were available.    

I’ll admit that I’d be tempted by Ossai, but that’s just cuz I love the player and the potential. Still think it’d be a terrible use of resources, but fun!

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

just think a slot corner would not be outlandish in late 2nd.  

In a vacuum, sure, I agree. With our needs, disagree. We badly need a #2 CB, we maybe only kinda sorta need a slot cb. 

5 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I’ll admit that I’d be tempted by Ossai, but that’s just cuz I love the player and the potential. Still think it’d be a terrible use of resources, but fun!

In a vacuum, sure, I agree. With our needs, disagree. We badly need a #2 CB, we maybe only kinda sorta need a slot cb. 

Agreed that need for outside corner is greater, but if they are looking at a middling outside corner prospect vs a good slot corner, which do you take - or do you go to another position?  While I think corner ratings are likely vary significantly from team to team, I would rather get a good prospect at another position IF they aren’t sold on any of the corners.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed that need for outside corner is greater, but if they are looking at a middling outside corner prospect vs a goos slot corner, which do you take - or do you go to another position.  While I think corner ratings are likely vary significantly from team to team, I would rather get a good prospect at another position IF they aren’t sold on any of the corners.

Yeah very fair consideration. I like a lot of these corners not named Asante Samuel Jr., so kinda just assuming that one will be around that I like. If that’s somehow not the case I’d probably look elsewhere.