RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

If all 3 hit than we have 3 good DEs for the next 3-5 years and we can trade one for a 2nd rd pick.  Not a bad problem to have.  Having 3 good pass rushers + Ed would give us a dynamic pass rush.  That’s the best case scenario

Maybe somewhere in the near future Sean decides to scrub the idea of using a 1T and go with this NASCAR style front line? This would allow us to keep all 3.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I listened to some of the call with Beane, Schoen and whoever with season ticket holders.   He said an interesting thing about the first round, including the corner back decision.

He actually said something like all of the guys on whom they had a first round grade were gone after the first 12 or 15 picks, except Rousseau.   Jaycee Horne and Surtain were the two CBs who went that high.   

So, they were just waiting to see if Rousseau fell.  Now, maybe there was another name in there, but the cupboard was essentially bare half way through the first round. 

He also said, I think, that when they were on the clock in the first round, a team called wanting to trade up into the first, but the Bills were taking the guy they had with a first-round grade.   If Rousseau hadn't been there, they would have been trading out of the first round.   He said in a different interview that they had a trade in place for their second round pick but declined it because Basham fell to them.  

It's interesting because I used to wonder about those drafts when Belichick kept trading back.  The Bills were one player away from trading back in the first, and one player away from trading back in the second.  The Bills could have been sitting with something like three thirds and an extra second next year.  

3 3rds and an extra 2nd, no pass rushers. I mean they could have had Ronnie Perkins in the 3rd but he's more of an undersized guy. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

3 3rds and an extra 2nd, no pass rushers. I mean they could have had Ronnie Perkins in the 3rd but he's more of an undersized guy. 

Yes, and no pass rushers.   Not by choice - would have been a situation where both guys were gone.   I suppose that if Rousseau had gone at 28, Beane would have traded down out of the first and then used the extra capital to trade up in the second to be sure he didn't miss out on Basham.  

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Maybe somewhere in the near future Sean decides to scrub the idea of using a 1T and go with this NASCAR style front line? This would allow us to keep all 3.

Have any teams used that alignment much in the past few years?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tough to pay 3 stud DEs while paying a QB 40M+.  We’ll be lucky to keep 2 imo

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

For years the Bills have treated the draft like a hole-filling exercise and it has never worked out.  Ever.  The strategy this year was simple: BPA at premium positions.  You seem to be complaining that they didn't reach for a lower-level cornerback or center instead of a higher-rated pass rusher or tackle prospect.  That kind of approach is what has demonstratively failed for this franchise for decades.  If the worst thing that comes out of the last two drafts is that they end up with too many good young d-line prospects in a couple of years, that would be an amazing problem to have.

Ok, I’m really confused. After reading my quote in bold, you came to the conclusion that I’m complaining that “they didn’t reach for a lower level cornerback or center instead of the higher rated pass rusher or tackle prospect?” 😳

If you are gathering information you read from my other posts and not the post that you quoted, I’ll rehash my initial thoughts on the draft:  

I gave Tyson Campbell and Asante Samuel late 1st - early 2nd rd grades I gave Rousseau the same, but I had him more as a 3T than a DE.  

Looking at the 2nd rd prospects, I thought that there a handful of pass rushers that would be there when we pick in rd 2 that we’re similar to Rousseau in ability.  At CB, I thought there would be 1 CB (adebo, and that could be a reach) available, that I’d take with the 62nd pick.   Based on that information, I was hoping we would take Tyson Campbell (or even Samuel) rd 1 and BPA DE rd 2.  That would give us the best bang for our buck at positions of great value and need.

When we chose Rousseau, I understood it and I wasn’t mad. Made sense.  I like the player and person.  I didn’t expect Beane to look take the same approach I did (looking into rd 2 to help decide the pick in rd 1), but I had hoped he might.  

Our pick came up in Rd 2 and the CBs I expected to be selected, had been selected. The only Cb I would take was a adebo, but I thought Beane might view him as a reach there.  I expected and hoped that we would take Dyami Brown as he was my BPA and the best potential building block for our team.  If not Dyami, I wanted Creed Humphrey.  A beast of a center and perfect fit for this team going forward. I had late 1st-  early 2nd rd grades on both of them.  Then we chose Basham.  A guy I had a late 2nd- early 3rd rd grade on.  I wasn’t happy with the pick because I thought we took a lesser player at a position that we just drafted.  But I understood why they chose him.  Taking pass rushers is a great option.  Premium position and much needed.  

rd 3 came up and we still hadn’t drafted a corner.  My BPAS were something along the lines of  Perkins, Molden, Melinfonwu, Rochell, Meinerz, Trey Smith, Jay Tufele, tylan wallce, Tyler shelvin, jabril Cox, Michael Carter and Kenneth Gainwell.  Then we chose a tackle.  I liked the player and I get the pick....it’s just not the direction I was thinking.  He wasn’t on my radar and I was shocked.  

Doyle wasn’t on my radar.  I didn’t do any homework on him and I there were several other players I would taken over him.  He’s a great athlete with tremendous upside.  I get it, but I would’ve gone in a different direction, namely Trey Smith. 

overall, I’m happy with the draft.  I would’ve preferred to have more of a 2021 impact than it will, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like the draft.  Beane did good.  I realize that there’s more than one way to build a super bowl team.  I think Rousseau and Basham are McD type DEs and Brown will eventually be a very good RT that will get paid 13M+ a year after the next 4 seasons. 

in closing, to respond to “You seem to be complaining that they didn't reach for a lower-level cornerback or center instead of a higher-rated pass rusher or tackle prospect”....... the players I wanted weren’t “lower level” imo.  The players I wanted were higher level than the players we drafted in rd 2 and 3 while being similarly graded in rd 1.  My grades are obviously different than Beanes, which is expected.  

sorry I should’ve given you the abridged version 😉

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think he will be a media magnet.  Heard his conversation with One Bills Drive and he seems a natural for back and forth and constantly laughing with Chris Brown.  I think he will be a frequent guest on that show.

For sure.  He’s quite the conversationalist. Great charisma

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Idk man.  We scrubbed the idea last year.  Didn’t work out too well. Gotta have a big boy capable of it on the roster or teams will make us pay.  We saw it last year. 

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Idk man.  We scrubbed the idea last year.  Didn’t work out too well. 

Buffalo, Green Bay and Kansas City all allowed 4.5-4.7 yards per rush.......insignficant differences between them........that's 3 of the 4 championship game teams and best teams of the season.

So it worked out well.

Some fans pride was hurt by seeing teams run for more yardage than in the past.......but when you are good you don't get to play terrible schedules and pad your defensive stat lines any longer.   The Bills average run D in 2019 was a product of an easy schedule and great health at LB.

The 2020 Bills were hurt much, much more by their lack of pass rush and the subsequent additional production they allowed in the air.

In the old days a rushing yard was worth 2 passing yards........and only 3 things could happen when you threw the ball and 2 of them were bad.

Today........for the most part a yard gained is a yard gained, either way.........it's just much harder to play keep away and keep scores down............and NOW when you RUN the ball 4 things can happen and 3 of them are bad (bad: small yardage versus a passing play, holding penalties, fumbles).

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/30/2021 at 5:57 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

Mariucci just named the Bills as the team he thought did the best job filling their biggest need in the draft. He seemed excited about Rousseau.  

Daniel Jeremiah expressed the same sentiment..........but for the entire draft.    

Of course, some of the fan-perceived glaring needs weren't as big as they felt to the fanbase:

RB:  In an outside zone scheme you don't need a star RB to produce big..........athletic OL are more important.......Bills were short in the department last season.........they've addressed that athleticism with Lamp, Brown and Doyle this offseason.

CB:  Would be nice to add another stud........but they are a heavy zone team that tries to keep the ball in front of them.   One of the advantages of playing zone is not needing 3 elite athletes at CB.    

1 Tech:  The 3 winningest teams last year were KC, Green Bay and Buffalo........their run defense's allowed about the same ypc, 4.5-4.7 yards.   It's a passing league.   I don't pretend to know what the Bills are thinking but they haven't tried to add a single 1 tech to the roster since Star opted out and they cut Vincent Taylor.   That would be unusual at any position, let alone one that fans see as so critical.   At some point,  maybe it's time to consider that they are trying to go with less snaps from traffic cone 1 techs than they traditionally did prior to last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Buffalo, Green Bay and Kansas City all allowed 4.5-4.7 yards per rush.......insignficant differences between them........that's 3 of the 4 championship game teams and best teams of the season.

So it worked out well.

Some fans pride was hurt by seeing teams run for more yardage than in the past.......but when you are good you don't get to play terrible schedules and pad your defensive stat lines any longer.   The Bills average run D in 2019 was a product of an easy schedule and great health at LB.

The 2020 Bills were hurt much, much more by their lack of pass rush and the subsequent additional production they allowed in the air.

In the old days a rushing yard was worth 2 passing yards........and only 3 things could happen when you threw the ball and 2 of them were bad.

Today........for the most part a yard gained is a yard gained, either way.........it's just much harder to play keep away and keep scores down............and NOW when you RUN the ball 4 things can happen and 3 of them are bad (bad: small yardage versus a passing play, holding penalties, fumbles).

That doesn’t mean our run defense was very good, which was my point.  Tied for 9th worst in ypc.  Our passing offense allowed us big leads and we’re rarely in position where teams could afford to grind out the clock running the ball.  

We sat Harrison Phillips for 3 games, starting with the first KC game.  They ran all over us. Partly due to our game plan, partly due to the fact that our only 1T that game was Butler, who isn’t a 1T, especially that time of the year.  We sat Harrison and ran with 1 1T vs the Seahawks (who we were blowing out and didn’t have enough time to run) and again vs the cardinals, who gashed us on the ground the entire game.  After the bye, Harrison was active and our D played better.  We got better 1tech play.  

my point was, playing without any 1techs wasn’t a good look for us defensively.  We should have 1 legit 1T and a backup 1T that is over 300lbs.  You saw what happened to Zimmer when he gave it a go.  He was getting destroyed out there. Same for Jefferson.  Ed oliver was playing some 1T when Harrison was inactive. That should never happen. When we went with Butler and 3 290lb DTs our D got ran all over in 2 of the 3 games.  

do you think we should play with zero 1techs?

Edited by NewEra

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Of course, some of the fan-perceived glaring needs weren't as big as they felt to the fanbase:

RB:  In an outside zone scheme you don't need a star RB to produce big..........athletic OL are more important.......Bills were short in the department last season.........they've addressed that athleticism with Lamp, Brown and Doyle this offseason.

CB:  Would be nice to add another stud........but they are a heavy zone team that tries to keep the ball in front of them.   One of the advantages of playing zone is not needing 3 elite athletes at CB.    

1 Tech:  The 3 winningest teams last year were KC, Green Bay and Buffalo........their run defense's allowed about the same ypc, 4.5-4.7 yards.   It's a passing league.   I don't pretend to know what the Bills are thinking but they haven't tried to add a single 1 tech to the roster since Star opted out and they cut Vincent Taylor.   That would be unusual at any position, let alone one that fans see as so critical.   At some point,  maybe it's time to consider that they are trying to go with less snaps from traffic cone 1 techs than they traditionally did prior to last season.

Don’t you think adding a good corner that can play man or zone would be a good idea?  Our personnel at cb is pigeonholing us into playing deep scared zone on all the crucial 3rd downs.  So predictable.

the chiefs have Frazier’s number so dialed in that we should just call out our defense to them, maybe that would confuse the defense more than Frazier does.  It’s pathetic.  And you know it.  Not sure how you can sit here and say that we’re a competent defense with Levi Wallace out there just patrolling his zone playing 8 yards off his man every play because we’re afraid he’s going to get beat deep.  That’s the reality of our defense last year vs KC......and they had an OL of all backups.  

the first game, we allowed them to run for 11 yards a clip because we were scared of getting beat deep. The second game we played 5 yards off every receiver because we were scared of getting beat deep.  McDermott said that he gave man a shot in the 2nd half and that turned out even worse....because we don’t have any good corners other than white.....and he got scorched too. Everyone talks about the Bucs DL and LBs, deservedly so, but the Bucs have invested 2 2nd rd picks (Davis and Bunting) and a 3rd rd pick (Dean) in corners alone.  At safety, Winfield (2nd rd pick), Edwards (3rd rd pick) and Whitehead was a 4th. 

like you’ve said, it’s a passing league.....you better have guys that can run and cover.  Levi can’t run and it limits us defensively.  “We play zone D” isn’t an excuse imo.  We need to be able to play both.  

I really hope Dane can step up and be the guy because McD doesn’t trust Levi, for good reason

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

@SDS any reason we unpinned these? Not complaining but pretty sure I remember them pinned for a month+ in previous years. I think it encourages more dialogue, especially with news coming to a crawl post draft. Thanks for making this my favorite place to visit 900xs a day!

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it was after the Houston WC loss when Beane said in the season ending PC that you're defined by how you lose your last game.  The AFC CG loss was not the result of poor RB play, the lack of a 1T, or even CB2.  The major personnel issue was a pass rush that could not pressure Mahomes and they've sought to improve that.

Now, if only they can become more aggressive in game-plan/play-calling on both sides of the ball.  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Don’t you think adding a good corner that can play man or zone would be a good idea?  Our personnel at cb is pigeonholing us into playing deep scared zone on all the crucial 3rd downs.  So predictable.

the chiefs have Frazier’s number so dialed in that we should just call out our defense to them, maybe that would confuse the defense more than Frazier does.  It’s pathetic.  And you know it.  Not sure how you can sit here and say that we’re a competent defense with Levi Wallace out there just patrolling his zone playing 8 yards off his man every play because we’re afraid he’s going to get beat deep.  That’s the reality of our defense last year vs KC......and they had an OL of all backups.  

the first game, we allowed them to run for 11 yards a clip because we were scared of getting beat deep. The second game we played 5 yards off every receiver because we were scared of getting beat deep.  McDermott said that he gave man a shot in the 2nd half and that turned out even worse....because we don’t have any good corners other than white.....and he got scorched too. Everyone talks about the Bucs DL and LBs, deservedly so, but the Bucs have invested 2 2nd rd picks (Davis and Bunting) and a 3rd rd pick (Dean) in corners alone.  At safety, Winfield (2nd rd pick), Edwards (3rd rd pick) and Whitehead was a 4th. 

like you’ve said, it’s a passing league.....you better have guys that can run and cover.  Levi can’t run and it limits us defensively.  “We play zone D” isn’t an excuse imo.  We need to be able to play both.  

I really hope Dane can step up and be the guy because McD doesn’t trust Levi, for good reason

I'd definitely like them to add a high quality man coverage CB to allow them to be more multiple in their looks,   but yes they can be a good defense without one.    

Ideally, I want Tre White on a stud TE like Kelce.........at which point THEN they are exposed more outside of the numbers.   

Truth be told, I did not love the CB's in this class and I'm certainly not reaching over a better prospect pass rusher just to add a more suspect prospect at CB.

If the Bills want to add a CB with first round measurables then they can call Gareon Conley.   He's out there.   If they want a Melifonwu........Obi just got released by the Niners so there's another elite athlete for the secondary.     

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, junior12thman92 said:

I think the better comp is Carlos Dunlap. Here are their measurables:

Gregory Rousseau

• Height: 6'6"
  • Weight: 266 lbs.
  • Arm length: 33.75"
  • Hand size: 11"
  • 40 yard dash: 4.69 sec.
  • Vertical: 30"
  • Bench press: 21
  • Broad jump: 9'7"
  • Shuttle: 4.45 sec.
  • 3 cone: 7.5 sec.

Carlos Dunlap:

• Height: 6'6"
  • Weight: 278 lbs.
  • Arm length: 34.5"
  • Hand size: 10"
  • 40 yard dash: 4.68 sec.
  • Vertical: 31.5"
  • Bench press: 21
  • Broad jump: 9'3"
  • Shuttle: 4.61
  • 3 cone: 7.21

I couldn't find any of Dunlap's college tape, but some of his NFL highlights look similar to Rousseau's. I'd be pretty happy if Rousseau turned out to be like him.

He reminds me a little of Chris Jones, except he’s smaller. Your Carlos Dunlap comparison though is shocking.. Nearly identical numbers. If he’s anything like Dunlop or Jones I’m good with the pick. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He reminds me a little of Chris Jones, except he’s smaller. Your Carlos Dunlap comparison though is shocking.. Nearly identical numbers. If he’s anything like Dunlop or Jones I’m good with the pick. 👍

Basham = Jones